• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How are you filling the Yawning Void that is the WotC publishing schedule?

Mallus

Legend
How are you filling the Awful Chasm of Gnashing Yearning that has opened up all around us?
Most of the people I play D&D with are mainly in it for the sheer joy of making shi stuff up, so the gaping hole that opened up in WotC's release schedule doesn't faze us much. Our 4e campaign's going to be the same as it always was; filled to brim with the product of our overactive masturbatory barely sub-clinical fertile imaginations!

I'm won't be spending more money on other RPG's. I'm more likely to channel the freed-up discretionary spending into meals at good restaurants and fancy Scotch! :)

Stormonu

Legend
Up until late 3E, I used to be a completionist. The only thing I pick up from WotC these days are the tiles, board games and maybe the one-offs like Gamma World. Maybe an occasional mini, but usually through the secodary market as I'm looking for a specific mini and don't want a bunch of random clutter. Over the last year, I think I've bought: the Red Box, Gamma World, City Tiles, Castle Ravenloft and a handful of pre-4E minis. I've gotten some use out of the minis and tiles, the rest has been glanced through and just shelved.

For the most part though, my former RPG dollars are going to trying out other RPGs or into my Pathfinder adventure subscription. Wotc's schedule doesn't have much of an impact on my buying trends any more and I no longer look forward on their production schedule with the giddy glee it used to inspire.

Gryffyn

First Post
I've never really thought that RPGs really needed 1-3 extra books a month to be fun. I know people for whom the RPG hobby is really a shopping hobby, though; buying books IS their hobby. In that case, I could see why the current situation would be a problem. There's more than enough gaming material in the D&D books at present to keep any group entertained for years, though...

SoulsFury

Explorer
I have been playing catch up myself. There are so many products that I want. I just bought Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons and King of the Trollhaunt Warrens. I bought two or three adventures or boxed sets in December. So the lack of products means WotC is getting my money still.

the Jester

Legend
I have a few as-yet unbought books to pick up- Draconomicon 2, Psionic Power, Primal Power, Vor Rukoth, Plane Below... umm... I think that's it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Since, for me, the gap started with the publication of 4e and then widened with the ending of the Star Wars license, I'll be doing more of what I've been doing since 4e came out... buying more Paizo stuff.

Stormonu

Legend
I've never really thought that RPGs really needed 1-3 extra books a month to be fun. I know people for whom the RPG hobby is really a shopping hobby, though; buying books IS their hobby. In that case, I could see why the current situation would be a problem. There's more than enough gaming material in the D&D books at present to keep any group entertained for years, though...

I agree with this as well. I'd much rather invest in an RPG these days that has a small core book set (preferably an all-in-one rulebook) and a small number of add-on books. I think the model of "we've got to put out two books a month - or more" in the thinking that sales would evaporate otherwise has done more harm in forcing an edition turnover than it has helped to influence a steady, healthy hobby.

Last edited:

Remove ads