D&D 5E How are you using Tales from the Yawning Portal?

How are you using Tales from the Yawning Portal?

• I'm running (or ran) one or more of the adventures, but not all of them.

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • I plan to run every adventure.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I'm just using it for inspiration.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • I'm not using it at all.

Votes: 16 23.5%

Pauln6

Hero
I converted the frost giants using my 1e and 4e versions for inspiration. It's a shame that they didn't convert them from the 4e versions in this book. My versions of the Jarl and his wife gave him a feat, higher strength, higher hit points, and legendary actions. His wife had a lair action. They seemed more fun than just ripping off cloud giant stats but in fairness that's pretty much what 1e did, I suppose.

I'm using the dungeons in my homebrew campaign, with tweaks and customizations. They're the prisons for a pantheon of gods that have were defeated by a titan working with a coalition of elder horrors, aboleths, and a traitor to the pantheon.

My campaign was using various old modules from B/X and AD&D with on the fly conversions by me, so since I'd already tagged a bunch of the converted modules for us, it was a no-brainer to us TftYP.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I voted "for inspiration," but I should clarify that I will be taking the dungeon maps as they are, stocking them with foes fitting for my homebrew campaign setting, and building adventures around those.

jasper

Rotten DM
Is there an adventurer's league guide for using TFYP in the Forgotten Realms, because only Dead in Thay takes place in FR?
I think at the beginning of each module, there is a small box about where to place it. If not go old school, find a similar location (jungle) and just drop it in your version of FR.

Steve Daigle1

First Post
I'm running a Homebrew campaign in which I am infusing the Yawning Portal adventures into it as a filler between character development paths. My players wish to build guilds, strongholds, gain political power, or in one case, become a god and I plan on using the Yawning Portal adventures as a level appropriate means of acquiring more powerful equipment and riches, again mainly to finance their character goals. Political pressures and guild influences and ulterior motives all will add a dimension of intrigue and consequences to their actions. Hopefully all of these layers will make for an enjoyable campaign.

pukunui

Legend
We're only a few sessions in to the Sunless Citadel, but my plan is to run all the adventures as an episodic campaign. We'll see how it goes.

pogre

Legend
I had already run all of the adventures (except Thay), some of them many times, in their original format. The familiarity I have with them made prepping a breeze and it is all new for my sons who are currently slogging through the Forge.

Remove ads