D&D General How common are adventurers?

How Common are Adventurers

• A dime a dozen: The world is just lousy with them.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Not Unheard Of: Few people choose adventuring but it is common enough to not be considered "weird."

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • You Do What, Now?: Adventuring is a rare vocation, one possibly viewed with suspicion or at least in

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • Special Snowflakes: The PCs are effectively the only people in the world without real jobs.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Nonexsitent: Not even the PCs count as "adventurers." Nobody does that.

Votes: 2 2.3%

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
"Adventurer" is just kind of a meta designation from the get go. They could be irregulars, or militia. Heck, there are plenty of games where the PCs are explicitly endorsed by legal authorities as members of broader organizations.

There are related questions we can ask too: are Witchers "adventurers" ? Was Steve Irwin an "adventurer" ? (Hell, was Steve Irwin a Witcher?)

By an definition related to dnd that I’ve ever seen outside of this thread, Witchers and Steve Irwin are definitely adventurers.

Using the extremely narrow “fame and fortune” definition, I may have to change my vote to a much rarer option.

Using any definition that includes most PCs I’ve ever seen, my answer is probably “not unheard of”, but only because there isn’t an option between that and “a dime a dozen”.

Coroc

Hero
Um...no? What are you even responding to with that?

To your eberron example, the knight only wants tournaments, the merchant is bankrupt etc. so most of your characters would prefer to live normal daily lives instead of being adventurers by virtue (which is a legit background np with that at all, it does not devalue them or so).
At least I read that out of your post. Sorry if I misunderstood something, and the joke I made offended you, that was not my intention.

As a corollary, how common is it for your PC group to interact with other adventurers?

I try to run a "Dynamic World" kind of campaigns where, aside from the actions of the players, I come up and simulate via abstract rolls the political schemes and other adventures that the players are not involved with or do not relate to their current activities until much later (or never). This creates the notion that the world doesn't rely on them or revolve around them. The cost they pay for this is that if they slow down or derail, they may no longer be those who make the big actions but live through the consequences of others

That kind of campaign means that they will occasionally meet with other adventurers who are pursuing a different goal, only sometimes it seems to relate to theirs. Sometimes they might even be able to win a free DMNPC entourage for a while which helps them survive a couple of deadly fights turning elementary. Still, what is more important than giving them the heroic story is that they are part of the heroic stories of others.

We often call TTRPGs the epitome of collaborative storytelling but often the stories we tell are very capsulated and lonely where the players are the only ones that matter, and the NPCs only exist to serve them. A dynamic world means they will often be dwarfed by other adventurers, and sometimes their messes will be fixed by someone better than them.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
In your campaigns, whether homebrew worlds or published ones, how common are adventurers in the world. i don't just mean classed NPCs, but actual adventuring groups or individuals) outside the PCs.

As a corollary, how common is it for your PC group to interact with other adventurers?
How common is voluntary homelessness and putting onesself in constant danger? Depends; how irrational are your peasants?

Outside of a few exceptionally driven folk (clerics, paladins, evangelical sorts), I expect most adventurers are criminals or others who can't expect to have a "normal" life.

Reynard

Legend
How common is voluntary homelessness and putting onesself in constant danger? Depends; how irrational are your peasants?

Outside of a few exceptionally driven folk (clerics, paladins, evangelical sorts), I expect most adventurers are criminals or others who can't expect to have a "normal" life.
Why would you presume that? Most real world adventurers come from the ranks of the idle affluent if not rich, or those with patrons among the wealthy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't typically use "adventurer" as a vocation when I run D&D. The PCs are people. By circumstance and choice they do stuff and get wrapped up in things. They are probably not the only people in the world who have adventures, but there isn't a profession/class of people folks call "adventurers".

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
To your eberron example, the knight only wants tournaments, the merchant is bankrupt etc. so most of your characters would prefer to live normal daily lives instead of being adventurers by virtue (which is a legit background np with that at all, it does not devalue them or so).
At least I read that out of your post. Sorry if I misunderstood something, and the joke I made offended you, that was not my intention.
Well, no. The knight also has religious and patriotic goals, as I said. The merchant is the only one that fits of the examples I gave.
My halfling Rogue does dream or going home and raising crops and kids, but it’s a pipe dream. He’s the chosen of the god of thieves, and there is an “evil” empire to fight.
I don't typically use "adventurer" as a vocation when I run D&D. The PCs are people. By circumstance and choice they do stuff and get wrapped up in things. They are probably not the only people in the world who have adventures, but there isn't a profession/class of people folks call "adventurers".
Right. This, mostly. Though, my games certainly feature Volo types and other people who folk IRL would call adventurers. The PCs just tend not to be that. My wife is talking about making such a character soon, because no one in our group plays that sort of person. Last time it happened was my FR Bard, and that’s the only one I can’t think of within the last decade.

But people who go on jobs/quests/search for something/etc, and do things similar to the PCs, are fairly common.

Reynard

Legend
With all the folks on here saying their PCs are not adventurers, I wonder why they bother getting into any trouble. I mean, if they aren't motivated by fortune or glory, why aren't they just town guardsmen or temple priests? Are they all a bunch of Frodo's caught up in events way out of their pay grade?

With all the folks on here saying their PCs are not adventurers, I wonder why they bother getting into any trouble. I mean, if they aren't motivated by fortune or glory, why aren't they just town guardsmen or temple priests? Are they all a bunch of Frodo's caught up in events way out of their pay grade?
As you said earlier, moral imperative, whether from a church, lord or just sense of duty would be a reason for people to go do dangerous things, but not count as adventurers. Likewise if they're just doing their job bodyguarding a diplomat, guiding a bunch of academics through the jungle, or have been hired to retrieve an item from the sunken ruins etc.
Mercenaries might be a fuzzy case because while it is just a job, you could argue that it is also for "fortune" and so any hired swords, or equivalent risky profession might count as either, both, or simply have some who are adventurers, and some who aren't in its ranks.

Simply deciding that they want more out of life than pushing a plough, taking their father's sword off the mantelpiece and going off to seek their fortune and glory is a pretty classic PC origin story. Its just not one that any of my PCs have used however.

Reynard

Legend
As you said earlier, moral imperative, whether from a church, lord or just sense of duty would be a reason for people to go do dangerous things, but not count as adventurers. Likewise if they're just doing their job bodyguarding a diplomat, guiding a bunch of academics through the jungle, or have been hired to retrieve an item from the sunken ruins etc.
Mercenaries might be a fuzzy case because while it is just a job, you could argue that it is also for "fortune" and so any hired swords, or equivalent risky profession might count as either, both, or simply have some who are adventurers, and some who aren't in its ranks.

Simply deciding that they want more out of life than pushing a plough, taking their father's sword off the mantelpiece and going off to seek their fortune and glory is a pretty classic PC origin story. Its just not one that any of my PCs have used however.

Yeah. I mean, I have run plenty of non-adventurer campaigns where the PCs were special agents of the crown or yokels dragged into epic quests or whatever. I do much prefer PCs that are adventurers, though, for the simple reason that they are motivated to go out and adventure.

Remove ads