• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How did I miss this about the Half races/ancestries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faolyn

(she/her)
It's mainly that being skillful is the specific hat for humans in D&D. Per the OD&D playtest:

HUMAN TRAITS
Resourceful. You gain Inspiration* whenever you finish a Long Rest.*
Skillful. You gain Proficiency in one Skill of your choice.
Versatile. You gain the Skilled Feat or another 1st-level Feat of your choice.
Ah. I don't have that playtest anymore. But you could limit gnomes to getting an extra Int skill, as opposed to humanity's ability to get any skill they want.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I would honestly really love to see orcs get a feel of an Athasian rancher with weird giant bugs and reptiles eking out a living in otherwise inhospitable land where the other species wouldn't be able to make it.
Y'know, if anyone is going to ranch dinosaurs, it would probably be orcs.

Incenjucar

Legend
In fact, if the livestock orcs live on specifically need certain harsh conditions, that could create some natural conflicts with forest-dwelling elves and land-irrigating humans and halflings, which adds an interesting twist to those ancient conflicts and the idea of orcs as despoilers.

Sure, but one does not describe Romans as barbaric raiders. They were a civilisation that invented and improved technology, and added to the arts and sciences.

lmfao, I dunno, do we have much of what Carthage thought of Rome? The Gauls were absolutely a civilization, but they are rarely described as such. This is where the problem of historiography, authorial bias, and perspective comes into play.

lmfao, I dunno, do we have much of what Carthage thought of Rome? The Gauls were absolutely a civilization, but they are rarely described as such. This is where the problem of historiography, authorial bias, and perspective comes into play.
Yeah, and I could describe football as 22 people kicking a ball around, know what I'm saying? ;)
Anyways this convo, is not going to get us anywhere.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I can see orcs being less farmers and more ranchers, since it's generally assumed orcs have a more carnivorous diet.

Which would in turn create orc cowboys. And how awesome is that?
In fantasy strategy games, humans are often the horse people.

Humans are often jack of all trades with good horse cav: Warhammer, HOMM, Warlords, Age of Wonders, etc..

Orcs could be the cattle people.

I once imagine a fantasy race really gettting into naturally and magically breeding bovines: riding cattle, beef herding, milking and cheese making, leather making, buff fighting.

Kinda how WH orks use squigs.

In fantasy strategy games, humans are often the horse people.

Humans are often jack of all trades with good horse cav: Warhammer, HOMM, Warlords, Age of Wonders, etc..

Orcs could be the cattle people.

I once imagine a fantasy race really gettting into naturally and magically breeding bovines: riding cattle, beef herding, milking and cheese making, leather making, buff fighting.

Kinda how WH orks use squigs.
I always thought Orcs had a lot in common with pigs and giant boars. From the old pig-nosed depictions, to the modern tusk-tooth depictions. Is that too on the nose?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I always thought Orcs had a lot in common with pigs and giant boars. From the old pig-nosed depictions, to the modern tusk-tooth depictions. Is that too on the nose?
Do humans herd apes and monkeys?

Orcs feel more bovine in personality.

"I am strong like a bull"
"Chaaaaaaarge!"
"Chocolate milk is best." No Strawberry milk" ""Chocolate!" "STRAWBERRY!" "ME SMASH YOU GOOD!"
"My cows make the best hide armor. THE BEST!"
"Sorry that I broke.... everything!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads