D&D General How Do You All Use Dragons In Your Worlds And Campaigns?

Richards

Legend
My previous campaigns have all been built upon the Greyhawk "backbone," so dragons have been pretty much as stated in the Monster Manual and similar books (like the Draconomicon - I've used quite a few from there). My current campaign is a complete homebrew, though, so I decided to do things a little bit different. I've started the PCs on an Australia-sized continent where there are not believed to be any dragons remaining; tales tell how the ruling human kingdom wiped them all out. What the PCs don't know (and which will become apparent over the course of the campaign) is that first, there's another, larger continent where the dragons roam freely and second, all dragons in this campaign have the innate alternate form ability - so there are still a few dragons roaming the PCs' home continent, they're just in their humanoid forms. (In fact, the PCs have already interacted with a dragon without realizing it.)

In addition, one of the standard PC races has been wiped out but this also is not well known, as the race is something of a favorite of the dragons and quite a few of them have established identities as members of that race.

Johnathan

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
True dragons, the first dragons, were born in the forging of the world. Created by the First, Ahl, as a gift for his beloved Second, Zho. As the primordial earth (having drawn Zho from himself to form the sky), Ahl used all the strength and glory of his ores and minerals, all the power and beauty of the swirling stars and celestial bodies in Zho's firmament. So did dragons come to be in the World of Orea.

These first were dubbed "the Children of Zho," the Elder Wyrms. Beings of gleaming beauty and elemental power. Massive in size and unparalleled in magic. The first dragons who would become known through the ages by their few remnant descendants, now called the Glimmariin by Man and Elf.

Once the Chaosbringer, Karos, was loosed upon the world, the corrupting influences of the Elder god of Evil and demons, and his chief servant in temptation and darkness, Djarthoon, the hearts of many of Zho's children were corroded and maligned, filled with malice, wrath, greed, and envy. These dragons -while still of frightful power- diminshed greatly from their original strength and lost the luster of their Glimmariin (Metallic) brethren. They became, to the peoples of Orea who consider such things, the Dwimmunduin (Chromatics).

Over time, several -even a majority- of dragonkind grew weary of Orea. The wars with the Titans. The proliferating mortal species endlessly irritating and trying to steal their riches, do them harm, beg for magic secrets. Many went behind the Veil, to explore and take solace among the stars of their beloved "father's" sky. Others passed away to seek out different realms -to Faerie, the Plane of Shadow, and other planes of existence. These are collectively known to the sages of draconic matters as the "Astraeliin" dragons (including Astral, Celestial and Infernal varieties).

There remains on Orea's main continent small numbers of most metallics and chromatic varieties known to players. It is unlikely for any group of players, however, to encounter multiple numbers of pretty much any type -other than Whites which are generally feral pack hunters when younger.

What inhabitants of Orea, however, are much more familiar with are the threats of draconic broods...the largely "mutated" or "malformed" draconic creatures that occur in the broods of true dragons. Wyverns, Behirs, Hydrae, Dracolisks, Dragonne (called something else in my world), the "incomplete" (wingless) Drakes, Linnorms and others are far more common nowadays than a great winged dragonfire-breathing wyrm. The major problem for dragonkind is that they are breeding "true" progeny less and less as the ages continue.

There is a council of dragons -predominantly metallic but a few very ancient and wise chromatics who have eschewed their wicked ways. Their purposes are their own, as their existence is not widely acknowledged except among wizarding circles. They are said to oversee the magical training and empowerment of a singular champion of Magic for the world of Orea, the Dragonmage. Their "hall" is rumored to exist at the farthest edges of the mountains at the top of the known world.

The dragons that were made attuned to the crystals and gemstones have been all but lost to Orea. Or so it is said/believed. The dragons of Emerald, Sapphire, Ruby, Onyx, Amethyst and Quartz are individual entities. They are generally agents of the god of knowledge and the mind, Sorilore the All-Knowing. These dragons take great pains to keep their existence -let alone location- a secret. Each of the gem dragons head or are patrons of orders of psychic individuals and various mental powers and prowess. For the most part the groups adhere to a communal policy of non-interference, and mutual secrecy, but disciples of the Ruby and, oftentimes, the Onyx tend to find themselves at odds with the others in sinister schemes for psychic power and asserting their supremacy over other mentalists -if not the entire world.

So, dragons exist. They're around. You probably wouldn't know if you encounter -or are near- one, unless they want you to know. The number of known dragons' lairs are...few and far between. Great wyrms laying atop vast piles of riches and magic are more legend, these days, than history. The tales of Varkaasik the Terrible (a great red dragon) in his treasured hall in the Drakkenmount range or the horrific Yrss Undallig, a dragon more ancient than the Godswar, said to be enslaved (or kept as pet or mount or partner, depending on the tale) by the unspeakable lich-lord, Kren Dalek, in his dread domain can be entertaining around the tavern fire. But, no serious-minded person, nor many fools, would take them seriously.

...Of course, if one /did/ find a true dragon's lair and hoard...

Voadam

Legend
I usually have dragons as background monster elements unless a specific adventure calls on them as a direct adversary or plot element or a player wants to work with some dragon theme. I do use a lot of dragon gods.

In my mashup homebrew setting I have a little background element of older dragon empires (4e's Arkhosia, Arcana Unearthed's dragon vs. giant empires mixed with some fantasy Mesopotamia Tiamat dragon empire) but not a lot of them as big players currently. I am tempted to have my fantasy Arabian parts use a lot of the dragon empire from Midgard.

I have material for Eberron's Argonnessen and Scarred Lands' dragon ruled Dragon Lands continent but for some reason they never grabbed me as much, the Midgard one is my favorite direct dragon ruler one of the bunch.

I kind of want to read up more on how 13th Age deals with their dragon icons.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I generally use dragons in moderation. The only real difference from MM is that all dragons are spell casters. They are such iconic monsters that letting them be just bags of hp is a waste. I tend to use them more as active NPC's than monsters to be murderhoboed.

Fizban's is the first book in a while that get my juices flowing though, so I look forward to it and hopefully up the dragon quota at my table.

Larnievc

Hero
Hey everyone!

So with the announcement of Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons getting many of us excited and curious about the different dragons and draconic themed things that will be in the book, it got me thinking about how I plan to utilize dragons in my own world of Salvera. So I wanted to ask everyone here, how do you use dragons and other draconic elements in your settings?
A reoccurring character in the games I run is Themberchaud from OOTA. The PCs helped him escape but to shenanigans he was trapped in dumpy human form. He stayed with the party as the Snark for a few months.

When that campaign ended I brought him back for a guest appearance in full dumpy dragon form for TOD; him not being keen on giving up his freedom to serve Tiamat (who he had never heard of).

The party ended up spending ages in Waterdeep so he had to be in human form again as the Snark.

So the dragon I use a lot is most often in dumpy human form. Funny old world.

I like to use them sparingly. Less is definitely more. Make to many dragon themes and suddenly they lose all of their mystique. My favorite adventure is when the party needed to use a portal guarded by a brass dragon, he wouldnt let them unless they completed a mission for him.

So they get on the dragons back and go flying through the mountains until he finally tells them what the mission was "So what do you know.....about women?"

He wanted to get a date with a hot lady dragon, but a bigger meaner red dragon has his eyes on the same girl, so they needed to chase off an adult red dragon at level 8.

Writing it out it sounds like Im breaking my own rule with so many dragons being put into the story at once, but these were the only dragons the party had met after over a year of campaign progression. They thought the brass dragon absolutely epic, until he gave them their mission. All of the dragons involved became re-occurring characters and the party ended up battling the red dragon 3 times, giving him permanent injuries every time before the end of the campaign. All of the party memebers remember this adventure and i doubt they would if dragons were popping up all over the place.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, all of my dragons use magic/have innate spell use, as well.

Different genus prefer and excel at different things. But they all can use it to a greater or lesser extent. White dragons, for example, don't get magic-use until becoming ancient (if they want). Blacks use a combo of druidic spells and necromantic magic. Coppers basically get a Bard-looking spell list. Silvers are the "wizards" of Metallic dragonkind, so they excel in all Arcane magic. Golds are essentially mythic divine beings, so they can use pretty much anything they want, including divine/clerical magics. And so on.

On a related -"different than the MM"- note, I also have the Reds, Blues, Greens, and Bronze, (plus Silver and Gold, as normal) able to shapeshift into animal and humanoid shapes. Different types at different ages, but it is a [super]natural ability they are all capable of doing at some point. The Chromatics are loathe to do so, of course, too proud to purposely take on such a pathetic inferior form (without a significant, undoubtedly sinister, reason). Bronze tend to enjoy it immensely, being my world's closest/most friendly and/or curious about the goings on of the fleetingly short lives of goodly races.

Also, any dragon can immediately identify any other dragon that is shapeshifted into some other form around/near them.

Richards

Legend
My last campaign introduced "the dragonmind," a means by which dragons could communicate with each other over great distances. It was kind of like a permanent Rary's telepathic bond with no limit of how many draconic minds could engage at once, and which could be telepathically entered and exited at will - in other words, any given dragon's mind was only in the dragonmind when he desired it to be. And it couldn't be used to track down a dragon's location.

So kind of like a draconic message board, I guess, thinking about it.

Johnathan

Remove ads