D&D General How Do You All Use Dragons In Your Worlds And Campaigns?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
There are three genera of dragons in my D&D games currently. Keep in mind that this list has changed over time:

1. Elemental Drakes (Athas. Earth, Fire, and Water species)
2. Metallic Dragons (Eberron. Brass, Bronze, Silver, and Gold species)
3. Chromatic dragons (everywhere else. Black, Red, and White species)

Mechanically, my dragons don’t have wings and can’t fly. They make up for this with boatloads of immunities and resistances, innate spellcasting, and natural weapon attacks that count as magical. Their breath weapons are also somewhat more dangerous.

ELEMENTAL DRAKE & CHROMATIC
Elemental Drakes and Chromatic Dragons are largely unintelligent monsters that seemingly exist only to threaten and destroy civilizations.

METALLIC
Metallic Dragons, being found on Eberron, are highly intelligent and the Draconic civilization of Argonnessen is the global superpower.

Brass dragons are the spies and mercenaries. They like to disguise themselves as slightly outdated (but still functional) clockwork dragons and quite a few took part in the Last War.

Bronze dragons are the aquatic sentries and pirates. They’re basically dragon turtles, except they breathe a line of lightning and thunder, instead of a cone of steam.

Silver dragons are the priests and shock troops. A small number of them wander Khorvaire, operating as clerics and paladins of the Silver Flame.

Gold dragons are the scholars and rulers of Argonnessen. If you encounter a dragon belonging to the Chamber, it’s almost certain to be a gold dragon.

dave2008

Legend
If a dragon appears in one of my games it is generally an ancient or more powerful dragon. In general, the dragons are the big bad that you don't mess with. They are at the edges of the map that foretell immanent doom. The lurking danger you must not disturb. I take a lot of inspiration from the Hobbit and Dragonslayer.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
One idea from my brother: instead of the different dragon each being a type, they each represent an individual dragon.

The dragon in the Frozen Peaks isn't a white dragon, he's the white dragon, and there's no one else like him.

If you only have the Monster Manual I'd call that overkill, but if FToD adds 20 new ones, that's at least 31 plus whatever I missed... that's a fair number for all the dragons in the known world.
Both the Iron Kingdoms and Nenthyr Vale did something like that... I agree with that approach

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
In connection to my lore of Asgorath/Io melding into one of my world's continents, there are three incredibly rare and powerful materials that are said to be from the late dragon creator.

One is Asgorite, an organic metal that can be found in small deposits throughout Salvera, though it is most commonly found on the dragon continent of Thaczil. Asgorite is bone white in coloration, and is very durable despite it's light weight. It is also brimming with magical potential, and when stuck it lets out at deep, guttural hum that seems to reverberate within the very core of one's being. This rare metal can be crafted to create legendary armors and weapons, constructs of unimaginable power and some of the world's most potent and famous artifact and historical relics were crafted from this organic material.

The second material is known as a World Shaper Scale, which can sometimes be found scattered across the plane of Salvera, though they are found on Thaczil most readily. These super tough scales can be of varying sizes and shapes, from small rounded scales measuring 3 feet in diameter to large rectangular scales (like those on the belly of a dragon or snake) 20 ft in length and 6 ft in height (just to give a couple of examples). Regardless of their size and shape, these scales all seem to have the unique effect of being able to reflect a brilliant, iridescent display of every color of dragon scale every conceived all at once, and maybe even some never seen by mortal eyes. These scales are highly resistant to the elements and yet very flexible and light, and hold a great deal of magic within them. These scales can be fashioned to make legendary armors as well as magical cloaks, bracers, boots and other clothing. These scales are also used to create powerful, artifact level tomes, and when ground up can be added to other materials to enhance there own properties further.

The third material is known as Ninefold Dragonshards, which similarly to Asgorite and the World Shaper Scales can be found scatter throughout Salvera with higher concentrations existing on Thaczil. These crystals shards come in a variety of sizes and hues, though these shards are commonly separated into six different categories. The first four categories of Dragonshards are Psionic, Arcane, Divine, and Primal Shards, each representing the four types of magical energies on Salvera which are depicted as Violet, Blood Red, Radiant Yellow, and Forest Green respectively. These four Dragonshard can be used to create powerful implements and other potent magical items meant to enhance one's magical abilities, as well as grant those holding them more mana to cast spells beyond one's normal capabilities. They can also be used as spell components for powerful rituals and magical rites that involve the specific power source of the shard. The fifth category of Dragonshards are known as Hybrids, shards that contain a mix of different magical sources. These shards can be used to aid in the compatible mixing of various magical sources (as typically in my world it can be challenging to combine magic sources in large quantity even if the spells and rituals being casted are similar). They can also be used to craft potent items that infused different magical types together to create unique effects. The final and rarest category of Dragonshards are known as Pure Shards which are a bright mana blue in color. These Shards are best used as near indestructible magical repositories that have the capacity to store vast amounts of mana, and are also used in binding or sealing spells and rituals.

What is unique about the Dragonshards however as oppose to Asgorite or the World Shaper Scales, is that when one holds a shard in their hands it's as if they can feel a faint consciousness within the shard that seems to react differently depending on who is holding said shard. Typically any normal creature or humanoid will get a feeling of indifference, followed by a slight feeling of pride and confidence, but those with any connection dragons can get different feelings from the shards. Dragon Knights, Warlocks with Dragon Patrons, or others who have gained power from dragons will feel a sense of tempered respect. Dragon Sorcerer, Half-Dragons, and others creatures with some ancestry to dragons will sense a gentle and warm presence of acceptance. Kobolds may feel an intimidating presence, but it is tempered with patience and compassion for the small and plucky creature. Dragons feel an overwhelming sense of pride and adoration from the shard. Dragonborns however, feel great sorrow mixed with what they could only describe as parental love.

Fanaelialae

Legend
A few campaigns back, I had dragons that were created to be guardians for the world while it was being created. Once the work was completed, the builders commanded the dragons to withdraw to a different world that was created specifically for them. However, many of them refused. Those that refused were cursed by the builders. Their eggs would henceforth give rise to all manner of draconic beasts - wyverns, drakes, dragonborn and other dragon-kin. But rarely would they hatch a true dragon.

Dragons in that world were powerful and dangerous, but always on the precipice of extinction.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
In Yoon-Suin, there is a single Topaz Dragon just south of the Yellow City, in the Topaz isles. She protects the city, mostly, although sometimes some boats do go missing. She is lazy, but she is a foe of the Krakens, which wish to destroy the Yellow City.

The Krakens try to get mortal servants by granting them power in exchange for their allegiance (warlocks). These warlocks are killed when found in the Yellow city, but those that seem repentant, or were fooled into the pact, have one chance to evade execution - to pledge allegiance to a new patron, the Topaz Dragon. If they are truly repentant (and if they present a good enough gift...) the Topaz dragon does not devour them, but instead teaches them a new path to power.

I thought Yoon-Suin was also the setting that exists in a dragon's dream, but I must be confusing it with something else...

Anyway, the more I learn about Yoon-Suin the better it sounds!

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
In the capital city of the Huneldur Territories, the kingdom of the Dwarves, there lives a well respected Azerblooded Dwarf named Harvak Cinderborn. He is known as a very talented black smith, having crafted armors and weapons in the capital for nearly a hundred years now. In the last five years however, his weapons and armor seem to have improved greatly which has increased interest in his services. Though Harvak greatly appreciates the increased revenue and renown, he is a modest man and will tell anyone who asks that the quality of his works is not his doing alone before motioning to his smithy as the fires stir and come alive to take on the shape of a medium sized dragon made entirely of flames.

This is Sharzilon. He is a wyrmling Wildfire Dragon, one of the nine Catastrophic Dragon species that lives on Salvera. Wildfire Dragons are entirely made of primordial fire and raw arcane energy held together by the mighty soul of a dragon. Despite his dangerous appearance though, he is a very sweet and energetic creature that enjoys helping his dwarven friend with his smithing and getting fed little flammable treats from the local children who love to come and visit the dragon from time to time. While allowing children around fire might seem like a bad idea, Wildfire Dragons can actually control their fire in a way that allows others to touch and even ride them without getting burned.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I currently have 46 dragon types spread out into four main true dragon categories; Chromatic, Metallic, Gem, and Catastrophic Dragons. Some follow more traditional D&D lore like the main five Chromatic and Gem dragons, and all the Metallic Dragons. Some are reinventions or expanded upon from more obscure dragons from D&D history like Yellow, Orange, Pearl, Jade, and the bulk of the Catastrophic Dragons. Some are of my own design like the Indigo Pink, Opal, Rose Quarts, and Mudslide Dragons.

Remove ads