• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you cope with only 4 characters in a party?

phindar

First Post
I was going to say, How do you play with 4 people... you mean the recommended number? But then I thought that'd come off sounding snide. For more role-playing intensive games, I prefer around 4 (let's say 3-5) because you got the basics covered and people aren't competing for "screen time". My current group is 7 players and that complicates somethings; in a 4 hour session we're looking at maybe two combats.

That said, the larger parties definitely have an edge. You get some redundancy in your key positions, and it frees up other people for auxillary character types (like bards, frinstance) that might not be that much help in a conventional 4-person group. The last high level game I played (which means 10+ to me), we had a group like that. Two tanks, two fighter/casters, a dedicated blaster and a dedicated healer. At 14th level, we had to retreat from a CR 32 Pit Fiend. Everything else we rolled over. It was just a great dynamic.

With a 4 person (or smaller) group, everybody really needs to contribute. You can't have an empty shirt at the table.

Darklone

I prefer bigger groups as well... but nowadays we have 4 players (or 4 PCs).

Works fine... this group is always about teamwork and there's nearly no problem with competing for stagetime.

I'm running games for three groups:

Group A: 3 players (Holmes/OD&D - Wilderlands)
Group B: 3 players (C&C - Wilderlands)
Group C: 5 players (C&C - Yggsburgh)

All three groups have multiple henchmen or hirelings in the party, just like the good old days. :cool:

Group A: 3 PCs + 4 NPCs
Group B: 3 PCs + 2 NPCs
Group C: 5 PCs + 3 NPCs

Erywin

First Post
Currently DMing a group with 6 players and me, honestly I have had to turn away other people interested in joining due to the fact that there are already too many players for my liking as a DM. A few things contribute tho, we already dont have enough space on the table for the current players (Blarg prefers to stand so he has his own side table), hard to make everybody's schedules work out, and we also run a 32 pt buy gestalt game with the levels between 8 - 11. I am enjoying the challenges this throws at me as a DM but on the other side, I wish I could just have a party of 4 players, me thinks they would get more stuff done effectively.

Cheers,
E

Imp

First Post
Wait, you've got two PCs, a rogue and a monk, right?

That's a pretty awesome stealth tag team and you should orient at least some adventures to play off of that. They wouldn't necessarily seek out the kinds of things a 4-slot standard party would look for all the time.

But, you have a bit of freedom with the NPCs filling out the group for standard adventures because you can have them pop in and out of the group at will for dramatic effect or whatever. You can always just have 'em team with a druid if you want an NPC that can fill a lot of roles. :p Then bring barbie back when you're going to have them do a lot of stand-up fighting...

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Nifft said:
How do you schedule a game for that many people?

My group has three players right now, and it's tough enough for us four to meet.

Cheers, -- N
My situation exactly.

robberbaron

First Post
My current group is DM + 8 PCs & 2 Cohorts and yes it is sometimes difficult to get us all together but is ultimately worth the trouble.
That said, my favourite gaming of recent years has been DM + 2 PCs & 2 NPCs and DM + 3 Gestalt.

More players = more flexibility, slower games.
Fewer players = getting more done, less flexibility.

IME the more players you have, the more likely the game is to become combat-driven whereas, with fewer players, it is much easier to get involved in sub-plots and 'Role' playing.

MacMathan

Explorer
I agree about what has been said regarding the scheduling difficulties.

Right now we are at 4 players in the past we have had up to 6.

Our current mix is: Ranger-Archer, Wizard-Diviner, Rogue, Cleric of St. Cuthbert. We lack a real tank but so far we have made it through although I will say the rogue has taken more damage than he would like and usually hits negatives at least once a session.

Prior to that we had a five man group where the only Arcane caster was a Bard.

Gruns

Explorer
Make it work!

I'm currently DMing a group of 3 PCs: Rogue, Ranger, Favored Soul...
Note the lack of arcane caster or true tank...
To help out a bit, I gave them special weapons that let them cast some minor stuff once a day. Nothing too exciting. The rogue has "shadowy" stuff like Ghost Light and Shadow Binding. The ranger is more "storm" oriented and has the best (and only, for that matter) offensive spell in Ice Storm. Also Sleetstorm, Obscuring Mist. That kind of thing. The favored soul's has more of a "knowledge" theme going on with his, and is really not that useful in combat. Augury, Chain of Eyes, Identify. The rogue has also maxxed UMD and can use most scrolls about 60-75% of the time.
This still doesn't help with the tank, but the group has been doing all right so far. No one wears heavy armor, so they're moderately stealthy. The ranger is handy with the bow and can soften most enemies up a bit before they close, and Favored Souls sure get a lot of cure spells...
Just keep the group's deficiencies in mind when you design encounters and they'll get along fine. Don't cater every one to their strengths; make them work a little, but remember to keep it fun.
Like most have mentioned, we have enough trouble coordinating for the four of us to get together(and two of use are married!). I can only imagine how difficult it would be for a large 6-10 person group.

Later!
Gruns

S'mon

Legend
Friendless said:
I'd just like to hear some opinions on how PCs cope in this brave new world.

I ran a successful campaign for two Monk type PCs and a Sorceror as the party. The main thing was not to worry about CRs/ELs and running published scenarios of appropriate level, I just let them run around and have fun; usually taking on much weaker foes (8th level party vs 4th level NPCs).

As for the 'standard' game, the change in 3e is that the Cleric has immense healing power and when the Fighter or Rogue go down, the Cleric can just heal them back up & they jump in again. It's a very Cleric-centric game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads