How do you equip a psion?

Sigdel

First Post
I am having trouble buying equipment for my 9th lvl psion. I am starting the psion at 9th. So I've come to you, kind people of EN World, to help me. Acording to the DMG I should get 12,000 gp.
The trouble I am having is that equiping a psion is not like equiping a, say, wizard. Also, psionic items are lack-luster, IMHO. About 70% seem...blah. Where a wizard could load up on wands and the like, but with a psion...
Anyway, if some of you could come up with a shopping list, I would be very grateful.

Thanx in advance,
Sigdel

EricNoah

Adventurer
Might be helpful if we knew something about the character. What is his specialty? What feats does he have? (For example, does he have any armor proficiencies?)

It probably seems obvious but I would make sure I covered offense, defense, and utility in my selections.

The psion's challenge is a limited list of powers known. A dorje of something he'd like to cast a lot of, or power stones of some handy save-my-bacon or once-in-a-while powers, particularly powers he can't manifest, might be helpful.

thompgc

First Post
Is the suggested wealth for 9th level > 12k? Are you sure you are using the PC table and not the NPC?

Stat boosters are popular - Headband of Intellect for a Psion, CON boosts (for extra HP) also help.
Cloak of Resistance and armor boosting items (Ring of Protection, Armor or Bracers, ...)
Perhaps a Cognizance Crystal
Haversacks are always popular
Depending on the sort of powers you use you may want a Psionatrix
A Torc of Power Preservation would be great but is 36000gp so you cannot afford it - something to keep in mind for the future

If you have a Psicrystal may want to see if you can use the stuff from the last dragon magazine on boosting them.

IceFractal

First Post
If you have Telekinetic Thrust, then I'd recommend a Handy Havarsack full of daggers or arrows to launch with it.

Other than that:
Armor - Psions can wear armor, and the nonproficiency isn't a problem if you aren't using ray or touch powers. If you are, then stick to something like a Mithral Shirt.

Power Stones - For those niche but useful powers you don't know.

Dorjes or Cognizance Crystals - If you expect to face many encounters in a day.

Psicrowns - If you can get custom made ones, they can actually be more efficient than Dorjes for low-level powers.

Longspear or Tower Shield - Seems like an odd choice, but since you don't need free hands to use powers, you could be hiding behind a Tower Shield or readying the spear against a charge. Also, if you can hide the display of your powers, maybe enemies will think you're a warrior and not grapple you.

Wondrous Items/Potions - Some spells really can't be replicated with powers, and if you want those spells, you'll need items or potions of them.

Sigdel

First Post
Your right. I was using the wrong table in the DMG for GP. So, as it turns out, I have 36k to spend.
As for what she is, she is a lvl 5/kinetisis(sp?) 4/psion uncarnate (which would put her manifester lvl at 7). Who seems to have a jonze for fire powers. Heck, she even has the feat that lets you do extra damage with that energy. The race is Elan. And to tell you the truth, this PC is not for me. It's for my girlfriend. She is joining my D&D group and wanted to be a psion and my DM is cool with it. I helped her with everything up unto this point. This is where it got sticky for me. I find it very hard to equip this PC for some reason. But I told her that I would put this post up here and you guys would come up with some good ideas. Unfortunately this PC has to be up and running by Sunday the 9th.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I would definately go for a INT stat boosting item as first priority. Cloak of Resistance +X wouldn't be a bad idea either. An item to boost CON is always helpful ... but not overly necessary unless the character plans on getting too close or headed into a place with traps.

Personally, many of my psionic characters use a mundane dagger. They use the handle as a sort of "focus" although one certainly isn't needed epr the rules. Most mental geeks have strange quirks that require physical activity of some sort while deep in thought - things like drumming their fingers, twiddling their thumbs, pacing, etc. So, my character tend to hold the non dangerous end of their dagger up to the temples to help them concentrate. Mypoint is not to mimic ... but to pick a few items like this for flavor reasons.

If the kineticist in question is going to be the "destroyer image" you might want to get and item that boosts DEX - this will help with the Disable Device checks should you put ranks into that skill since Kineticists qualify for it. This also helps with the old AC issue. If the character is going to be an intimidator, get an item that boosts CHA to help boost the Intimidate skill. (unfortunately the Cloak of CHA and CLoak of Resistance are the same bodyslot....) Of course, these are only options if the character wants to use those skills.

Other than that, have fun with the equipment. Psions are nice in that the major stat is INT so once you get the INT item out of the way you have some cash left over. Just play with it!

Remove ads