How do you feel about factions in RPGs?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
D&D did, IMO, a pretty awful job with factions and are an excellent example of how a whole lot of words can be of very little use. Ravnica was supposed to be the 'faction' book, and the Guilds in that setting are supposed to drive the action. What's actually in the book though? A renown stat that does absolutely nothing other than measure status within the guild, and even then has no mechanical effect whatsoever other than as a prerequisite for positions within the guild. You get contacts, yay, but they're off a table and also have zero mechanical support. You have a small handful of background abilities, which also have nothing to do with the actual factions. Finally, you have some descriptive text about what the guild does and how much they like or dislike each other, but again, no mechanics at all, and almost no specifics. No rules for faction interactions, no rules for the factions themselves, no rules for influence or favors, no rules for PC impact on the guild, or guild policy, or anything.

In short, there are almost no actual rules for factions in Ravnica at all. It's all char gen and flavor text. I'm perfectly capable of using what's there in a campaign but the lack of rules means I'm doing all the grunt work, and all the adjudication ends up being DM fiat, all the narrative stuff and guild interaction is DM fiat. It's not really particularly good for maps and notes type prep, and it's brutal for play to find out style games. The players have no hand holds or rules at all to help the gauge the potential effect of their actions in relation to their faction, and no guidance about what a negative or positive relationship with other factions actually does, and nor does the DM. Anyway, I'll get down off my soapbox now. Lets just say it wasn't what I was looking for. /rant

practicalm

Explorer
I really don't like the 5e factions and I never join a faction in AL games.

Factions are better when the players don't fully join them but are able to play the factions against each other or curry favor for specific reasons.
Because the factions are certainly going to use the players as cats-paws so it's fair for the players to do the same.

Paranoia requiring everyone to join a faction is all good fun because it is the trope of that game.

Shiroiken

Legend
To me, it's very much setting/game specific. The various WoD game that use factions did it quite well, integrating it into an important aspect of the game, while D&D... not so much. Having conflicting factions can add an interesting aspect to a game (assuming you have mature players who can handle it), but you don't want it to overshadow the game itself.

With D&D, I've heavily modified the faction concept. Instead of being a vaule of membership in a faction, I use it as a "glory" type mechanic instead. If you do things that benefit a faction, you get some points towards them, and having a certain number of points you can spend them for various favors/benefits. The factions themselves are greatly varied, rather than being setting wide (although they exist), such as town councils, noble families, churches, etc. A character can be a member of one of these factions, usually via a background, which allows them to pay less points to get the favor/benefit.

Pretty much this. My Tyranny of Dragons campaign was continually on the verge of some of the more vocal PCs managing to utterly alienate every single faction. Some players just can't help but try to push authority figures as far as they can.

These days, I really try to avoid running adventures where the main hook is "someone in power asked for your help" for this vary reason.

Sounds like you have failed to assign consequences to PC actions.

People/groups who are in power normally are in/have power for a very good reason.

This is what happens when there is a disconnect between the setting and the PCs. When PCs have no ties to any community they are free to wander about as pointless murder hobos.

But if they have an actual background, with family ties and an organized world, consequences can hit them right where they live.

MGibster

Legend
Vampire: the Masquerade and it's fellow WoD games are where factions as a big part of the play experience really became popular, and that has had a lasting impact. I think factions work better in some of their games than others, but I think the influence on other people's game design has been too strong.

I won't lie, I was absolutely blown away by Vampire when it was first released in 1991. It was so different from anything I had played before and factions were a big part of that. You had the big ones like the Camarilla and the Sabbat but you could divide those two into many more subgroups as well which led to all sort of fun opportunities for game play.

What is it I don't like about them? I'm not entirely certain. Part of it might be that my level of individualism doesn't mesh well with that sort of group mindset when I (in this case, my character) doesn't completely agree with the faction. They aren't going to sign up because they can get 70% behind the faction's platform and they dislike the other guys more. Nope. Just let me be a lone hero and don't have the system punish me for it.

There are many players out there who chafe at the idea their characters might have obligations to any authority be it noble, the law, or a god. Perhaps they feel as though they follow enough rules in real life and they just want to cut loose and have fun in game. That's fine. Games where factions are important might not be for them. Especially if their characters are expected to toe the line.

Another reason I'm not too keen on them could be that they often feel artificial. As an example, take the way 5e D&D Forgotten Realms has an artificially expanded list of factions (as in, they took some small local groups and decided to make them groups of major Faerun-wide importance so the players would have more choices than the Harpers or the Zhentarim) that they insist on weaving through their published adventures.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to look at D&D settings with an overly critical eye. They're simply a setting designed to have fun adventures in.

I'm also not a fan of having interactions between various factions be the driving force in the setting, which is something that usually results in systems where you are are expected to choose a faction. Maybe that's because one of my major role-playing drives is exploration and wonder, and having that blasted opposed (or even allied) faction pop up all the time pushes that away, because they already got there first or they are right there on your tail, etc.

There was plenty of wonder in the Indiana Jones movies with the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant even though the Nazis were hot on his trail.

I think I enjoy factions slightly more in passive entertainment than in RPGs, but even then they can get in the way of the experience for me.

How about you?

I think factions are a great way to help new players figure out what they're going to be doing in the game. In Shadowrun, the player characters are shadowrunners (I'll define them as a very loose faction) in a world awash with corporations, nations, religious groups, etc., etc. It's a fantastic setting and without that shadowrunning faction I think it'd be tough for newer players to figure out what they were supposed to be doing. But that doesn't mean you need factions in every game. The bulk of my D&D games were spent without PCs joining any faction save their adventuring group.

Factions are OK, if they make sense in terms of the setting. By which I mean that they arise naturally from features of the setting that aren't just people's tendency to form cliques and rivalries. So different worldviews, different ecological niches, really large past conflicts, things like that, can make sense. Recreating high-school cliques, not so much.

Sadras

Legend
Pretty much this. My Tyranny of Dragons campaign was continually on the verge of some of the more vocal PCs managing to utterly alienate every single faction. Some players just can't help but try to push authority figures as far as they can.

I do not think enough guidance was given in the AP on how to deal with the various factions/delegates.
For example, it should have been emphasised that they had the support of Leosin, not necessarily the Harpers (yet). And that the reason they had been selected as the Champions of the Council was because of they represented a neutral party within the delegation. They were the secret weapon of the Leosin and Remalia, with the sole goal to attempt to curry favour with all the other delegates/factions for the good of the Sword Coast and get them to pledge and eventually commit their forces in the fight against the Cult. If they were given that agenda secretly and early on, it would help against player pushback. And if not Leosin and Remalia someone else. I used Laeral Silverhand.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I can’t really imagine a setting without factions.

I don’t think they need to be as formalized as Vampire the Masquerade , or Planescape did. I also don’t think that games should push membership on PCs as some kind of expectation.

But beyond that, I think their use is essential to portraying a fictional world and in giving PCs useful groups to work with or against. They help flesh the world out and help define the PCs’ place in the world.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
The problem I've had with factions, in every game I've read or played that had them, was that every faction had a tendency to treat anyone who didn't join up as an enemy. If you don't like any of the factions presented to you, you are treated as an enemy by all of them and you end up ground to a fine paste between them. Also, if the game is about the PCs' stories, it can feel as though factions are a way of imposing the GM's story onto the game--this is probably more my reason for not using them as a GM than anything I can point to as something I've experienced as a player.

Nagol

Unimportant
Factions are tools. Like all tools they have a best-use case and a worst-use case.

Factions can be an excellent tool to provide access to abilities the party (or even just a single PC) normally can't access on their own.

They can also be excellent foils / drivers of adventure that provide a means for common motivations and tactics that once learned by the players, allow the PCs to arrange novel ways to detect and defeat the plot.

If the expected table play includes intra-party squabbling (cf. Paranoia), they are an excellent lever to causing PC disagreements.

Those were the best-cases.

Worst-cases include taking focus away from/overshadowing the PCs, introducing squabbling where it isn't desired, and a tool to force PC direction.

Remove ads