D&D General How Do You Feel About Sigil?

jgsugden

Legend
I think there were a lot of good ideas that were not executed in a way that plays nice with other settings. So I changed it when I introduced it in my main homebrew setting, and I like my version.

In my setting there are 4 huge marketplaces in the Known Universe. The City of Iron in Hell, the City of Brass in the Elemental Plane (I mash them together), the City of Gold in Heaven and my version of Sigil, which is in the Astral Plane. It is heavily inspired by Babylon 5, is a Cenobite ruled Babylon 5. It is known as the City of Doors in my setting as well, and that is also because of all the portals that are collected there that go to other places. However, it is also a major port for my version of Spelljammer which sails the Astral Sea (and did so long before I heard anyone call the Astral Plane the Astral Sea).

It is a place where you can find anything if you look hard enough. It is a place where diplomats meet. The Lady of Pain is also the leader here, but mine is a bit different in origin and purpose. She is there to keep the peace, and is immensely powerful, capable of killing Greater Gods within her realm. She has a police force, and there are certain guilds that work within the massive city, although they are not as wacky as the Plancescape versions. For example, there is a Mining Guild (mostly dwarves) that mines the outer planes for precious resources (mostly from the Elemental Plane), a Giff run guild that charts and travels the Astral Sea, a Modron 'University', and a mercenary guild that is the most powerful fighting force in the Known Universe.

I run it with a noir feel, with everything being shades of Grey. To be effective there, you need to compromise - but many that come there refuse to do so. You can find Devils and Angels there, abiding by the rules of the place, but they rarely are satisfied by their time their as they can't get anything done with their absolutism.

Remove ads