• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you Handle Training DM's?

How do you handle training?

• DMG is right for me

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • One day down time per level

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • One week down time per levelq

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You must find a teacher and have the time

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Unique... explain please!

Votes: 2 11.8%

JLXC

First Post
This might be a common thread, but with no search function give me a break.

How do you handle it? Do you require training for players to Level Up?

This is not a DM Training thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I started out requiring training for feats but now I'm really just letting characters level up whenever they get the experience to do so. The way I see it, levels represent accumulation of experience and practice that enable adventurers to get better at what you do. That's training for an adventurer.

I do allow characters (but more often NPCs to gain experience through paid training). At the moment, I use the following rule:
"Characters may also train at standard prices (DMG) if they do not have the experience points necessary to advance a level. For each week spent in this manner, a character will earn one hundred experience points for every two character levels he or she possesses."

This was my explanation for how duelists might gain skill through training under an experienced master in the academy without going out adventuring. In the future, I will probably add a some rules that increase the cost as characters gain level--this will simulate the difficulty of finding trainers who know more than higher level characters.

hong

WotC's bitch
Most DMs need to be trained if they're to run a good game. However, at the moment there isn't any formal training system for DMs. This is a weakness that needs to be rectified.

I propose a DM training school that could be run by either WOTC, or perhaps one of the guys who have recently been kicked out by them. There's a lot of these guys, possibly more than are still at WOTC. You would pay a fee to be trained in all the aspects of DMing:
- managing recalcitrant players
- DM-player power relationships
- designing adventures
- designing campaigns
- the balance between gaming, simulation and drama
- developing storytelling and narration skills
- logistics of gaming (who pays for the pizza?)
- managing real-world complications (what if you had a game, and nobody showed up?)

Perhaps OrganizedPlay could do something like this. Shouldn't this go in the General RP forum, though?

Valicor

First Post
hong said:
Most DMs need to be trained if they're to run a good game. However, at the moment there isn't any formal training system for DMs. This is a weakness that needs to be rectified.

I propose a DM training school that could be run by either WOTC, or perhaps one of the guys who have recently been kicked out by them. There's a lot of these guys, possibly more than are still at WOTC. You would pay a fee to be trained in all the aspects of DMing:
- managing recalcitrant players
- DM-player power relationships
- designing adventures
- designing campaigns
- the balance between gaming, simulation and drama
- developing storytelling and narration skills
- logistics of gaming (who pays for the pizza?)
- managing real-world complications (what if you had a game, and nobody showed up?)

Perhaps OrganizedPlay could do something like this. Shouldn't this go in the General RP forum, though?

That's pretty good, Go to college and take your masters an DM. Nice!

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Basically I use the DMG though maybe I should of said unique. My basic rule is the players are going through the school of hard knocks, and get all the training they need in the field. But I moniter how things like skills are speant, since I insist they are speant in a fashion that fits their characters activities to some degree in the last level. For example if you decide to dump all you skill points into hide, you better have been doing some serious stealth missions in the last level. If you never used the skill the most you can put into it is 1 point(2 if cross class) under the theory that your character does some things off camera, but most of the important stuff is on camera.

bloodymage

House Ruler
From my "House Rules":

4. PC's gain levels by adventuring. They gain new class skills and feats by training or studying. They gain new skill levels with continued experience. Consequently, after 1st level, adventurers require resources to acquire their new expertise. These resources must be assessed and utilized every other level. Once these resources have been established and paid for, training is assumed. Level training and skill training combined have a base cost of 99 + d100 – (primary attribute bonus x 10) in gp for every level gained. (Ex: 99 + result of d100, say 52, minus, say 10x3 for a 16 S, in gp times, say, 3rd level, equals 363 gp). Study and training costs for feats have both a monetary and experience point cost. Base gp cost is 50 + 25 for every new prerequisite the feat has listed x level (Ex: At 3rd level Cleave would have a base cost of 225 gp). Cleave at 3rd level would cost an additional 300 xp (100/level). Characters are not allowed to drop levels to gain feats. Monetary costs may differ from base due to local economies. PC's may self-train after 12th level.

Remove ads