• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you map? (DMing advice needed)

PeterFitz

First Post
I give the players very generic descriptions of the areas they're passing through, using non-specific descriptors like long, shallow, huge, high etc. If they want more exact dimensions, they have to actually survey the rooms (in character), which takes up a lot of time of course, and they seldom bother.

For miniature use, I draw out the relevant area myself on a perspex sheet laid over a hex-grid on the table-top, and erase it when we're done.

My own GM maps are mostly very schematic these days; I used to draw exquisitely detailed maps, but I came to realise that I was wasting a huge amount of time on stuff that nobody but me would ever see. (Likewise with my campaign world -- I used to create incredibly elaborate back-stories and world details, but realised that nobody ever took any notice of them even when they were relevant. Now I just make vague, general notes and fake it if I have to).

haiiro

First Post
I hate mapping as a player, and I absolutely can't stand having players map when I GM -- except for very rare, cartographically gifted folks, it's always waaaaay more trouble than it's worth (at least in my experience).

For locations I expect the party to visit more than once, I draw my maps on rolls of 1" square graph paper about 3' wide -- I cut off what I need to do a couple of rooms (or whatever), and then link them up as we play.

For mapping on the fly, or for spots I don't expect the party to return to, I use Tact-Tiles. They're awesome. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads