How do you pimp your story hour?

How do you pimp your story hour(s)?

• I just write 'em so I don't lose track of things.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • If I but post it, people who are interested will read it.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I didn't even know I had a story hour.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Word of mouth gets around, baby. I'm that good.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I pimp my story hour(s) in my sig.

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • I pimp my story hour in other people's sigs!

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I pimp my story hour in threads that are loosely related.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I pimp my story hour in other people's story hours!

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • I use other writers' names in my story hour titles!

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Are you kidding? I'm Piratecat! (or Wulf!)

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%

Lazybones

Adventurer
I'm on semi-hiatus right now (SH burnout), but when I was writing regularly, my answer was: volume.

For six months I think my average was a post every 2 days. Before you ask where I found the time to write so much, let me just say that my job is REALLY boring.

People couldn't turn around without running into a "Travels through the Wild West" thread, and I think I got most of my readers by people misclicking while trying to get to Piratecat or Wulf and their paltry once-a-week-maybe updates.

Of course, volume's also the number one reason why people DON'T read my story hour (too much material!), but hey, them's the breaks.

I tried posting a teaser thread on General, but got about 6 views or so (and I think those were all from my bumps). I should have titled the thread "Sixteen reasons why the Forgotten Realms is the bestest ever campaign setting".

Seriously, though, I have links to all my threads in my sig, post the full compilation on Morrus's hosting page, and post frequently in other folks' threads (genuine commentary, not mere pimpin' ;) ). The last seems to be the best method, as there is sort of an unwritten reciprocal-reading code going on here (hey, it worked for Horacio--just about every writer on this board is indebted to him for bumps!).

Last edited:

Milo Windby

First Post
I'm a sig man myself. I have to say that I see a depressing amount of hits on my storyhour though. Maybe I should start pimping through other means. ;)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Here's another way I pimp my story hour. I quote other story hour author's who have posted in my thread. For example:

Taboo: Great update. I could almost picture it in my mind and that's the kind of writing I like to read.

The emotions were there. Really excellent. I can't wait for the next one!

ThePsionicist

First Post
Shouldn't that be Piratecat, Wulf or Sepulchrave? After all, Sepulchrave is only behind those two in total thread views, and his story hour hasn't been around nearly as long as Piratecats or Wulf. But maybe I'm just a fanatic. :)

Carnifex

First Post
Well, I pimp by posting stuff on General, or as I have just done by posting links in more widely-read story hours like Piratecat's ;)

(contact)

Explorer
Lars Frehse said:
(Contact), oh, you did notice... That is good. I was about to wonder whether I am freezing of my balls here for nothing!

You know, I got a pair of story hours that'll keep you warm. Fine ass ones, too-- not them raggedy story hours from around the way.

The Risen Goddess and The Liberation of Tenh.

And while we're on the topic of pimpin', here's an excerpt from the Risen Goddess Story Hour:

From Chapter 35, Play On, Play On.

The duo make their way to Southspur, Ratik’s “troublesome district”, and are accosted along their way by a gaudily dressed fellow who warns the duo that he’ll brook no competition on his turf. Indy is completely baffled by the man’s hostility, but Kyreel understands his meaning.

“You are a pimp,” she states, “and you think we are also involved in your seedy trade. First, sir, I will have you know that should you cross swords with us, you can kiss your illicit career goodbye with the same peck that sends your life off, and second we are not selling flesh. We are adventurers, investigating a murder at the behest of Captain Shella herself.”

“Right,” the man says, as he runs his hand through his beard. “No trouble from Swagger Jack you’ll have missus. I should have known. You looked a little up-hill for this block, and he obviously swings his sword with the other hand, if you take my meanin’. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, mind.”

The pimp stares at the two of them. “No blood, no harm, I say.” After a thoughtful pause, he continues. “You might want to talk to Master Cerin of the Night Walkers. They run this district, and if anyone knows the inside of the secrets here, it’s him. Myself, I wish you luck. Murders are bad for my business.”

After the man returns to his slouch in a nearby doorway, Indy turns to Kyreel. “He thought I was a pimp? Me?” The duo walk toward the safe-house described by Swagger Jack, and Indy mutters “Cool.”

Kyreel notices that the diminuative pirate-cum-revolutionary adopts a slight limp and massages his beardless face in an offhanded manner. “Maybe I need a gold-handled shortspear,” Indy mutters to himself. “And a big hat.”

“Maybe you need to abandon this foolishness and keep your mind on your business,” Kyreel says.

“Maybe you need a lesson from the back of my hand, you keep runnin’ your yap, woman,” Indy says.

“Indianichus Winterborne Silverleaf! That will be quite enough! I’ll have none of this. You’re not a pirate, there is no ‘revolution’, Lady Evaleigh is not in love with you, and you are certainly not a pimp. By all that is and will be, you are favored by Ishlok Herself, is that not enough?”

Indy mutters “I just want to be popular,” as a lone tear runs down his cheek

Remove ads