• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce Bullywug?

How do you pronounce Bullywug?

• Bully-WUG, as in the school bully beat me with a stick

Votes: 75 47.5%
  • BUHL-ee-WUG

Votes: 75 47.5%
  • What on Earth is a Bullywug!

Votes: 8 5.1%

Thotas

First Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that, like the bunyip, bullywugs are a creature whose legendary origins are in Australia. If so, maybe an Australian poster would know the answer with more certainty than a Yankee like me. (until I'm corrected, it's Bully+wug)

dead

Explorer
Thotas said:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that, like the bunyip, bullywugs are a creature whose legendary origins are in Australia. If so, maybe an Australian poster would know the answer with more certainty than a Yankee like me. (until I'm corrected, it's Bully+wug)

I'm the original poster and I'm Australian.

Actually, even though I'm Australian, I can't actually say -- off the top of my head -- what a bunyip *looks* like. :confused:

Olive

Explorer
Australian? I've never heard that before, and they don't look much like bunyips.

"To the Aborigines the Bunyip was a beast of many different shapes and sizes. Some Bunyips were covered in feathers; some even had scales like crocodiles. Common features in most Aboriginal drawings of Bunyips are a horse-like tail, flippers, and tusks like the ones found on walruses."

Don't sound like frog men to me.

Thotas

First Post
I didn't say I thought Bunyips and Bullywugs were the same thing. I said I thought (with a maybe thrown in) they both came from Australian stories, just like satyrs and nymphs both come from the Greeks. On the other hand, if Bunyips come in that much variety in shape, who says one can't look like a frog-man? But anyway, after dead pointed out that he IS from Australia, my less than 100 per cent sure is now even less than it was ...

Olive

Explorer
sorry what I emant to say is that I live in Australia, and I've never heard of a bullywug/Australia connection. I'm originally from New Zealand tho, so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt.

Thotas

First Post
Oh man, now I gotta do research! I know the bullywug is from somewhere in real world mythology. But if an Australian and a New Zealander are telling me it's not Australian that they know of, I must be off about where that somewhere is. And it's gonna bug me for a while.

Gez

First Post
Ba-tra-sog. :p

But actually, as always, I don't bother trying to pronounce it the English ways, because it's just confusing, as this thread clearly demonstrate.

While English proposes countless pronounciation for the same spelling, French proposes countless spellings for the same pronounciation. You always know how a written word is going to be pronounced (only tricky part: the "ch" of word derived from Greek, like chiroptere, there's no rule wether they're pronounced "k" or "sh"); but you don't always know how a pronounced word is going to be written. :)

I've done quite a bit of research on Australian monsters (see the Bane Ledger and the Primal Codex), but I've never seen Bullywugs in that research.

Of course that doesn't mean that they are not australian, only that if they are, the connection is very obscure.

The person to ask about the origin of bullywugs is Gary.

Last edited:

Remove ads