• Rhymes with "grow"

Votes: 40 18.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Poll closed .

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Scylla said:
(. . .) but years ago -- Gen Con 1988! -- my friend (who pronounced it to rhyme with cow) and I cornered Gary Gygax in a bar and (. . .)

Gygax in a bar in the 80s? Heaven forfend such a tale be told!

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
Jedi_Solo said:
I, in full knowledge, pronounce it wrong.

I pronounced it wrong for so long that the 'correct' way to say it sounds... well... it sounds wrong.

Ditto. My friends and I called them 'Drow' (rhymes with 'grow') for so long, that when we discovered the correct pronunciation, we thought it sounded just a little silly.

rgard

Adventurer
Agamon said:
The official pronunciation of Bulette is boo-LAY, which looks like french, as some misguided TSR staffer was trying to do obviously, but it's incorrect, as it would have to be spelled Bulet. As spelled, it should pronounced boo-LET, which is what I call it.

'Boo-Let' is how we always pronounced it. Some TSR staffer must have failed 9th grade French.

rgard

Adventurer
Back to the original question: Drow as in Cow.

The folks I gamed with back in the late 70's / early 80's pronounced it to rhyme with cow. I met some gamers in western PA a couple of years ago and they had been playing almost as long as I had and they pronounced it rhyming with grow. So gaming grognardness doesn't give an answer to this age old question.

It's actually kinda cool we have this discussion everything few years. It's a fun exercise for all, new gamer and old gamer alike.

Thanks,
Rich

Remove ads