• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kickstarter How does a Kickstarter Bleed Money?

darjr

I crit!
Yea, it looks like a combination of bad planning, lack of prep, an inability to adjust to the liking of the backers. Oh and some cold feet.

edit to add, I'm not expert and I have no insider info. I only know what was in the posted article.

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
I heard somewhere some people pledge high levels to unlock higher rewards (Or see what they are) and then drop pledges to something they actually want to pay.

I have no idea what happened here, though.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I heard somewhere some people pledge high levels to unlock higher rewards (Or see what they are) and then drop pledges to something they actually want to pay.

I have no idea what happened here, though.

And here I thought Kickstarters were for donating and supporting a cause you wanted to help succeed. With prizes an ancillary bonus.

I am so silly.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
And here I thought Kickstarters were for donating and supporting a cause you wanted to help succeed. With prizes an ancillary bonus.

I am so silly.

I don't think there's any single attitude that backers need to have. There are some backers who use Kickstarter to support a cause, but there's also a lot of people (I'm guessing the majority) view more like a pre-order system.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think there's any single attitude that backers need to have. There are some backers who use Kickstarter to support a cause, but there's also a lot of people (I'm guessing the majority) view more like a pre-order system.

Yup. Both project creators and backers often use it as an elaorate pre-order system. It works incredibly well for that - better than an actual pre-order system!

Janx

Hero
Yup. Both project creators and backers often use it as an elaorate pre-order system. It works incredibly well for that - better than an actual pre-order system!

I've never touched kickstarter or its ilk, but that was what I thought the entire premise was.

I have a product that I want to bring to market, I skip the venture captitalists and all that, and go straight to kickstarter. The KS brings in money to fund the project, and has a minimum threshold as to what I need to do an initial print run. Because ultimately, that's what every KS backer gets, is a product.

The scaling rewards, etc, is just like those late-night Ron Popeill commercials. "order now, and you'll also recieve a ..."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've never touched kickstarter or its ilk, but that was what I thought the entire premise was.

I have a product that I want to bring to market, I skip the venture captitalists and all that, and go straight to kickstarter. The KS brings in money to fund the project, and has a minimum threshold as to what I need to do an initial print run. Because ultimately, that's what every KS backer gets, is a product.

Not necessarily. The reward doesn't have to be the funded product - it can be anything. Typically, the funded product tends to be one of the rewards, though, for obvious reasons.

Remove ads