• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does LA work?

der_kluge

Adventurer
Can someone explain exactly how the Level adjustment stuff works? One of my players is interested in making a minotaur.

From the SRD:
MINOTAURS AS CHARACTERS
Minotaur characters possess the following racial traits.
— +8 Strength, +4 Constitution, –4 Intelligence (minimum 3), –2 Charisma.
—Large size. –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
—Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
—A minotaur’s base land speed is 30 feet.
—Darkvision out to 60 feet.
—Racial Hit Dice: A minotaur begins with six levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 6d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +6, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +5, and Will +5.
—Racial Skills: A minotaur’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 9 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Search, and Spot. Minotaurs have a +4 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks.
—Racial Feats: A minotaur’s monstrous humanoid levels give it three feats.
—Weapon Proficiency: A minotaur is proficient with the greataxe and all simple weapons.
— +5 natural armor bonus.
—Natural Weapons: Gore (1d8).
—Special Attacks (see above): Powerful charge.
—Special Qualities (see above): Natural cunning, scent.
—Automatic Languages: Common, Giant. Bonus Languages: Orc, Goblin, Terran.
—Favored Class: Barbarian.
—Level adjustment +2.

Now, we're currently making new characters, and we're starting at 9th level. His class is going to be Barbarian. If I'm reading it right, does he take the hit dice (6) and add +2 for the LA, and end up with an 8th level character. So, he would effectively start as an 8th level minotaur, 1st level barbarian?

Could he reduce the hit dice, and reduce the number of minotaur levels, and thus take more levels of barbarian?

Psiblade

First Post
You are current in your calculation about him being a 1st level barbarian minotaur = 9th level character. In savage species, it does not let you take class levels until you have completed monster levels, so I would say no. The strength and con bonuses are huge for a fighter type.

-Psiblade

Voadam

Legend
Under the rules the minotaur starts out as the 8th level character and then becomes 9th by taking the barbarian level.

However, if he is energy drained it is not clear whether he can lose the minotaur HD and then gain more class levels later. It is a tortuous path to avoid the monstrous humanoid HD.

I haven't read SS which I think gives a method for making the LA into class levels (and I think the minotaur was the web enhancement) but without that option LA is inherent in being the creature type and cannot be lost through energy draining (once out of HD and class levels the character dies).

Shadeus

First Post
You want to know something odd? I checked this out for myself in the MM and found the exact example they give is for a minotaur barbarian!

ElMorte

Explorer
I have a question myself to that topic.

Could i start with a Level 1 Barbarian Minotaur without the Minotaur HD?

So that i have basically a Level 1 (3 with LA) Char and not an Level 9 Char?

If i get this right the LA are all the Minotaur's special abilities (Scent, Gore, etc.).

I hope you get what i mean. *g*

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
ElMorte said:
I have a question myself to that topic.

Could i start with a Level 1 Barbarian Minotaur without the Minotaur HD?

So that i have basically a Level 1 (3 with LA) Char and not an Level 9 Char?

If i get this right the LA are all the Minotaur's special abilities (Scent, Gore, etc.).

I hope you get what i mean. *g*
You could if you DM said that was OK. Also many creatures' LAs are lessened (balanced) by their HD i.e. they were balanced with that many HD and may not be balanced with less HD.

ElMorte

Explorer
Camarath said:
You could if you DM said that was OK. Also many creatures' LAs are lessened (balanced) by their HD i.e. they were balanced with that many HD and may not be balanced with less HD.

*g*

I am the GM at the moment...

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
ElMorte said:
*g*

I am the GM at the moment...
In that case I would not recommend allowing player to take monsters without the monster’s racial HD unless you thoroughly reconsider the creature’s LA. In this specific case the Minotaur might need raised to a LA+3 or it might be ok at a LA+2 that depends on your campaign, play style, and what class(es) the player intends to use with the creature.

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
I have a question as well. At what level would this Minotaur get his first normal ability increase? (i.e. the one you get every 4 levels).

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Kershek said:
I have a question as well. At what level would this Minotaur get his first normal ability increase? (i.e. the one you get every 4 levels).

at his 4th Character level.

so it would be Minotaur/Barbarian 4 total ECL=12

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads