D&D 5E How is my 5E game is going?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
In one word? GREAT!

I'm back baby!

I had not run a D&D game since 2009 (which was a 3.xE mish-mash + a ton of house rules) (you can read about two of the campaigns I ran between 2000 and then in my story hour threads here and here) but once I moved to a new city where I had a couple of friends who were interested in starting one up, I decided to use it as an excuse to check out 5E and I liked what I saw. I planned to run a game using Ghosts of Saltmarsh as the core, supplemented with adapted adventures from my stack of Dungeon mags (mostly from the 90s - the best adventures in the history of DnD bar none). I also cannibalized my old homebrew (Aquerra) for the world- but setting everything in an obscure corner of the (definitely not Aquerra) world - allowing the PCs to be from the rest of it "The Known World" and create any kind of background they want, with any questions about where the game takes place being able to be explored in-game as opposed to a lot of backstory and exposition and "My character would have known that." It allowed for an easy rule of thumb: if you don't know it it is because your character doesn't know it, while also allowing them to bring the "prejudices" of a typical fantasy world with them. One conceit was that where they are from most humanoids are extinct, wiped out in genocidal wars by the so-called "Free Folk." So, are orcs all evil? Well, have you ever met an orc? I mean a real orc and not some person who claims to be descended from them? Who knows if the old legends are true? Thus every encounter has a potential freshness in it for me and for the players when they find there might be some still tucked away in a forgotten place of the world. We are playing with core rules only.

I also did a handful of other small changes which don't really effect the rules, like we replaced references to "race" with "peoples." Oh and I used a stat draft to determine starting scores - something I developed in a thread right here on ENWorld a million years ago, but that you can read the succinct rules of right here.

The group is basically newbies. One player (plays gnome bard, recently multiclassed to wizard) had only ever played video game RPGs, one player (plays a tiefling ranger, recently multiclassed with sorcerer) had played very briefly in a game that fell apart, the other two players (half-orc barbarian and human druid) played a lot as kids/teens but now (at nearly 40 years old) are returning to it. I love them. They have the enthusiasm and joy that is infectious. So much is new to them (or distantly familiar) and none of them are big rules types. Our main focus is to keep things flowing and have fun and lots of fun is being had.

Three sessions in pandemic hit, so we moved to Zoom. I have a set up with two cameras. One focused on me and the classroom sized dry erase board behind me and the other on the battle mat. I have been predrawing a lot of maps so I can figure best camera position and not slow the game down. I got a few recommendations for using Roll20 and/or D&D Beyond but not interested in the learning curve when the system we're using is working for us. People roll their own dice on the honor system. If I thought they were cheaters I wouldn't play with them.

In terms of adventures, we started with "A Wizard's Fate" (adapted from Dungeon #37) throwing in some classic simple undead encounters and having their first real obstacle (the imp) be something they could not just easily defeat through force of arms), moved on to The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, which was broken up with an adaptation of "And a Dozen Eggs" (from Dungeon #30) that fell in the downtime between the house and ship parts of that adventure. This was followed by Danger at Dunwater (which they loved! I have run this twice before in the 80s and 90s and it went terribly both times - not so this time!) and they just did a sidetrek ("The Whale" from Dungeon #35) on their way to do "Salvage Operation" (which had its origins in an adventure published in Dungeon #123 before appearing in GOS). They just hit 4th level (I still prefer slow advancement - it is great because the players have gotten plenty of opportunity to get used to their abilities and learn how to use them well at each level).

In addition, the players shoe-string character backgrounds were just enough to build some subplots around. For example, the druid was searching for his estranged husband - which went from "I think he went into the woods to live a life of quiet contemplation after we broke up" to "oh no! he might have been kidnapped by the bad guys!" to "OH NO! I think he IS one of the bad guys!" It made for great drama. There was also a brief episode with a cursed axe that nearly led to the barbarian killing the rest of the part which was fraught and fun (and that they just resolved in the most recent downtime). This has led to player who was the least into the role-playing aspect (and who has now gone all-in) to announce she wants a romance subplot for her character too - I think she has her eyes on Oceaus the Sea-Elf (spelled Oceanus in the module, but I changed it) which despite how I described him, she keeps describing as My So-Called Life era Jared Leto. :LOL:

We have a wiki going for the campaign (something I used to do in the past) and for a short time I was keeping a story hour synopsis on a blog, but dropped that.

Anyway, that's how my game's going. We play once or twice a month (next game Dec.5th) for five hours (2 pm to 7 pm) and my enthusiasm and focus for D&D has been totally rekindled. I even tried to run a second ZOOM game with players all over the country - but scheduling F-ed it up. Aw well. May still look for a couple of replacement players for that one to join the remaining players.

How's your game going?

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Ours is going incredibly awesome--we're playing Shadowrun now! :D
Some pedants grouse when I say this, but it's all D&D to me regardless of what you're actually playing ;)

Glad to hear your game is going well. . . Is there a new edition of Shadowrun or are you using an older one?

pogre

Legend
Good to see you on here again. My main D&D campaign, which met every Sunday for four hours is on hiatus. However, I have a weekly Thursday night game for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. We play on zoom and that allows my brother in Florida and my son in Alabama to play. I use three cameras for our zoom games - one on me, and the other two aimed at scenery and miniatures.

I miss face-to-face, but it has been fun campaign overall.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Oh man! A third camera might be a brilliant idea! I may try that!

And yes, Zoom playing is less than ideal - but has allowed me to game some with people all over the country. I am keeping my main group local, however, in hopes of returning to face-to-face one day.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Oh and I forgot to say in the initial post that the only other rule change I made was disallowing Warlocks because I didn't feel like learning the mechanics of a new class.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Some pedants grouse when I say this, but it's all D&D to me regardless of what you're actually playing ;)

Glad to hear your game is going well. . . Is there a new edition of Shadowrun or are you using an older one?
We are playing 2E (although I have some 3E books) from 20+ years ago. I know there is a fifth edition currently and I think some 6E books are just rolling out for it, but I am happy with 2E for the most part.

It is funny you mention it is all D&D to you. I had a deep philosophic conversation with a player about how all PRGs really are the same and you basically end up doing the same thing, just different settings. :D

FWIW we use Zoom for our online game and I find it works very well. I share my second screen which has battle maps and overland maps, etc. as well as other info I need the players to see. If you are using minis, an additional camera is a GREAT way to go. We did it for a while and found it worked well.

I wrapped up a campaign a few weeks back and we are currently about 5 sessions into Tomb of Annihilation. It’s my second time running it. I wasn’t happy with the job I did the first time with a different group, and am very happy with how it’s going this time around. I’ve implemented Runehammers 5e Hardcore Mode rules and the players have been good sports about only having 2 HP at first level.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hardcore mode? Yikes!

(then again, that is how a lot of people that read my Out of the Frying Pan story hour described my DMING style! :unsure::ROFLMAO:)

Schmoe

Adventurer
In one word? GREAT!

I'm back baby!

Welcome back!

How's your game going?

Pretty great, actually. I have one game with my kids, my neighbor, and his kids that we still meet f2f. It's the only thing keeping us all sane in these days. I cooked up a 1-page haunted house adventure for Halloween that had the kids legitimately spooked and talking about it for weeks. It actually turned out really good, and I was pretty proud of myself on that one :) It's awesome to see the kids get excited about the game.

I have another game with friends and work associates that has been online via Roll20 since March. While we tried to meet monthly before the pandemic, we just recently moved to every two weeks for just 2 hours per session, in the hopes of keeping more continuity. After languishing a bit over the last few sessions with some dungeon exploration, the last session was combat-free and I was able to really get the players engaged with some RP. It turned out to be a great session, and I'm hoping some of that enthusiasm carries over. I'm going to try forcing a little bit more RP into the sessions. While everyone is pretty into dungeon-delving and combat, it's a lot easier to have the conversations and camaraderie when you're sitting around a table in-person. I've found that this group tends to lose focus in a virtual session, and with more RP scenes I can hold their focus better.

For what it's worth, we're playing Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, and the group has literally spent like a month in Hommlet just investigating the moathouse. They've been back and forth to the moathouse so many times that by now the original cultists are gone and have recovered the artifacts and gone back to Rastor. So now I'm kind of winging it trying to nudge the group toward Rastor.

So, there ya go!

Last edited:

Remove ads