• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How is Traveller? Looking for a Space RPG...

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I'd like to run a science fiction game once our current D&D arc wraps up, and I've been looking at a few systems. The name 'Traveller' comes up an awful lot, but I know almost nothing about it mechanically. So, to those who've played it; how is it? Is the system good? I'd really like a certain lethality to the combat; these characters are not meant to be gun-toting space marines who can storm an enemy compound on their own (though they would know how to handle a weapon in a pinch). Also, I would like to get away from a d20 system... we've been playing a fair bit of d20 lately, so a change would be nice.

My plan is to run a game of space exploration with infrequent combat. The PCs would be on a ship, and that ship would explore uncharted star systems, dealing with hazards both in space and on planets, clash with rival explorers, set up claims for valuable commodities or land, and generally explore the cosmos.

Does Traveller work well for this sort of game?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Yes. Mongoose's Traveller (which is the current incarnation) would, as would Classic Traveller (the original). I imagine other versions would too, but I am less familiar with them.

sjmiller

Explorer
Does Traveller work well for this sort of game?
You have practically defined what Traveller is all about. The game has gone through several versions over the years, and quite a few of them are quite good.

The first edition, often called Classic Traveller or LBB Traveller. This is the first, simple version, done in little black books (hence LBB). It uses a system using primarily 2d6 rolling against target numbers with a variety of die modifiers (DMs). Character creation is a game in and of itself, and can be quite addictive.

The second edition, called MegaTraveller, uses a new Task Management system with task difficulties, dice modifiers, and assorted other bonuses verses a 2d6 roll. The character creation system is very similar to the original with a finer level of detail and is just as fun to create characters.

The third edition is called Traveller: The New Era. This is probably the least well liked in the Traveller community. I honestly do not remember much about it, as I only played it once. I own the books, but prefer to think of this as the edition best forgotten.

The fourth edition is called Marc Miller's Traveller. It is the first edition printed after the demise of Game Designer's Workshop. In some ways it harkens back to the original and second editions of Traveller. The task resolution system returns and is more defined.

I know I have probably missed out on some details of each edition, and I am sure others will pipe in about them.

One thing d20 game players will notice is that Traveller is not a game of young inexperienced people gaining power as they go along. It is a game of people with prior experience in the universe looking to do something new and exciting. Combat is not something overly desired in Traveller, as it can be quite lethal. Many a Traveller adventure has revolved around being merchants and adventure seekers, occasionally mercenaries, and generally trying to stay on the good side of the lay. At the very least they try to look like they are doing so. Traveller can go in so many different directions that it makes a great system to use for almost any type of game.

As a bit of trivia, Joss Whedon used to play Traveller in a universe he created that was the basis for Firefly. So, you can see that you can have a lot of fun traveling around in this game.

Gee, can you tell I have played Traveller a bit? It was the first rpg I ever owned. I got it as a Christmas present back in 1979. Loads of fun even after all these years.

sjmiller

Explorer
As a side note, I have looked at the playtest version of Mongoose Traveller, and it looked fairly interesting, being quite similar to the older versions of the game with certain twists to the game mechanics.

I also have the early drafts of Traveller 5 by Marc Miller. Wow, is this stuff seriously cool! I can't wait till this one comes out.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Thanks for the excellent feedback, sjmiller! You've really given me a good idea about the game (and it's incarnations).

The game has gone through several versions over the years, and quite a few of them are quite good.
It seems to me that the best system to pick up would be either Megatraveller or the Mongoose edition. Also, does anyone know where I could find the Traveller 5 preview materials?

As a bit of trivia, Joss Whedon used to play Traveller in a universe he created that was the basis for Firefly.
Firefly is amazing. This is a big feather in the cap for Traveller in my books!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You could be very happy with Traveller, in almost any system its been published. It can be lethal, but crafty and intelligent play can alleviate a good deal of lethality. And the campaign you described it pretty typical.

Alternity: StarDrive is also quite good, as is Star HERO (run in the HERO system). Space Opera has its fans.

In addition, as you might guess from Star HERO, any of the better "toolbox" RPGs should provide a solid foundation for this type of game. You could run it in M&M, for instance, and if GURPS doesn't have an appropriate campaign setting or sourcebook, I'd be greatly surprised.

There are also hosts of other games out there. I liked the old, long OoP game Universe from the now-defunct SPI. In some ways, it was a worthy rival for the early editions of Traveller, but it died with the company.

There is another game out there with the same name that just came out within the last 2 years. It looks good in the bookstore, but beyond that?

There are also RPGs based on all kinds of IP out there- Prime Directive based on Classic Trek, Star Wars, Stargate...

As an interesting confluence, there are 2 different Terran Trade Authority RPG based on Stewart Cowley's classic books- one currently available at Amazon (and a few other places) [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Terran-Trade-Authority-Roleplaying-Game/dp/0978015118]Amazon.com: The Terran Trade Authority Roleplaying Game: Scott Agnew, Stewart Cowley, Jeff Lilly: Books[/ame]

...and the other using Mongoose's Traveller system, due sometime this year.

The original seems to have fairly favorable reviews, but again, I haven't seen it personally.

Terran Trade Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ariosto

First Post
Yes, it works well for that. I am mainly a "Classic" (original game line) player. Although I understand that the new Mongoose version is broadly pretty similar, I am not sure how the new combat system compares in lethality. In the original, Book 1, system, the first shot is pretty likely to take one out of the fight but not to kill -- if physical scores are near average. Age tends to bring those down, though.

There's an SRD ("Developer's Pack") for Mongoose Traveller, that I think has just one sample career but gives a good look at the system. Look here: Mongoose Publishing : For All Your Gaming Needs ...

As a fan from the start, of course I think the original game is great. However, it has a few rough spots and is very "old school".

GDW also published MegaTraveller (a compilation and revision, much as AD&D was of OD&D but with perhaps more striking changes) and Traveller: The New Era (a whole new system, well done I think but a bit complex). In addition, there was Traveller: 2300 (later 2300 AD), a bit more "hard SF" and from a late-1980s perspective -- and with really no particular connection to Traveller (but quite fine in its own right).

Marc Miller's T4 is IMO a mess, especially not recommended as one's introduction. I thought MegaTraveller had a surprising amount of errata, but the sloppiness of T4 blew me away.

Last edited:

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I'm in the process of converting the Reign of Discordia setting over to Traveller, and as a result, have been playing it since about May. I'm not quite sure how to say this without sensationalizing it, because that isn't exactly my intention, but I haven't had this much fun playing or running an RPG since I was first introduced to D&D. The lethality of the system seems about right and you can change the focus of the campaign by certain character creation and equipment options. The starship section is one area where this system really shines. One thing I really dig is that every starship in Traveller is mapped out, so you're not left without material when the characters decide to board those jerks who have been shooting at them!

Character conversion from D20 to Traveller isn't exactly straightforwar, but it is possible.

So yeah, a big thumbs up from me. I'd love to see the core Traveller rules adapted to other genres.

Ariosto

First Post
A (Book 1) Character Generation Example

I'll call this character Roderick Trask.

I roll 2 dice for each of six characteristics in order: Strength 8, Dexterity 7, Endurance 10, Intelligence 6, Education 4, Social Standing 8.

My character starts at age 18. There are six career types: Navy, Marines, Army, Scouts, Merchants and "Other" (the last being typically a bit shady).

To enlist in the Army is 5+, DM (die modifier) +1 for Dext 6+, DM +2 for Endur 5+ -- so I need a roll of 2+ (which is automatic success). If enlistment had failed, then I would have rolled a die to see into which random career I was "drafted".

The first roll for each 4-year term is Survival, in this case 5+ (as I lack Educ 6+ for the DM of +2). So as not to have to start over with this example, I'll apply the optional rule that failure indicates leaving the service after having served but two years and recovered from an injury. A roll of 7 means I complete the term!

Commission as an officer is 5+, DM +1 for Endur 7+. A roll of 10 makes me a Lieutenant! Promotion is 6+, DM +1 for Educ 7+ (The Army is pretty easy!). With my Education, though, a 5 is not enough.

I get two skills automatically: Rifle-1 for joining the Army, and Submachinegun-1 for becoming a lieutenant. I also get two skills for my first term of service, plus one for my commission: 3 rolls (one die each).

There are four tables, but the second Advanced Education table requires Education 8+. I make one roll on each of the others.

Personal Development comes up 3: +1 Endurance (to 11). Service Skills gives 2: Air/Raft (piloting a common anti-gravity vehicle). For Advanced Education, 2 gives Mechanical.

Reenlistment is 7+ (no DM), and a roll of 6 means the end of my prior (to adventuring) service.

At age 22, I'm still too young (under 34) for aging rolls. For mustering-out benefits, I get 1 roll for my 1 term, and another for attaining rank 1 or 2.

A 4 (on one die) on the cash table puts Cr10,000 in my pocket. A 5 on the benefits table yields a high passage -- a voucher for a first-class trip on a starship. That's worth another Cr10,000 (although I would get only Cr9,000 if I were to trade it for cash).

What I end up with is:

Ex-Army Lieut. Roderick Trask _ 87B648 _ Age 22 _ 1 term _ Cr10,000
Rifle-1, SMG-1, Air/Raft-1, Mechanical-1 _ High Passage
The string of numbers after his name is his UPP (universal personality profile). That's the six ability scores in order, with numbers greater than 9 represented with letters (A=10, B=11, C=12, etc.).

This is supposedly hexadecimal (base 16), with F (15) being the highest possible characteristic value. In other contexts, though, G (for 16, which would be "10" in hexadecimal) and on are sometimes used -- but I and O are not, to avoid confusion with 1 and 0 respectively.

Last edited:

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Hi. And thank you for your interest in Traveller. Before I begin, let me just say that as a Traveller 3rd party publisher, I am biased.

Traveller is a great game. Its easy to learn. The whole systen is: Roll 2d6, add modifiers, if the result is 8 or higher, you succeed. That's it. That's for skills and combat. Because the system is so easy, its easy to say something like: I want to do (insert something crazy, like bounce a grenade off a wall at a weird angle to get it close enough to your enemies) and the GM just assigns a quick difficulty modifier and you roll it and continue on.

Its easily customizible to your homebrew setting. Making your own setting is very easy. The core book has a system generation system that is fun and easy. There are rules for alternate tech like Warp Drive/babylon 5 style gates/etc. But if you don't like any of those its easy enough to swap it out with your own preferred tech and move on. Prefer ray guns to shot guns, quick swap out and you're good to go.

Traveller really is a great game, I highly recommend checking it out (and checking out the products made by my company ;) ).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads