How long are your combat rounds taking PER PLAYER? Speedchess vs slowChess

How long is the average player taking on combat turn (APL 4-8)

• < 30 seconds..my players are ready to go

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • 30sec-1minute

Votes: 75 35.4%
  • 1-2 minutes

Votes: 64 30.2%
  • 2-3 minutes

Votes: 30 14.2%
  • 3-4 minutes

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 5 minutes or more ...my players are slooooow

Votes: 10 4.7%

• Poll closed .

delericho

Legend
Emirikol said:
How long are your combat rounds taking PER PLAYER in middle levels (4-8)?

It depends very much on the player, the character, and the level.

Combat types are quicker than spellcasters, low levels are quicker than high levels, and I have two players who are 'slow', two players who are 'fast', and one player who is right in the middle. Taking all that into account, I've voted as above.

Do you play a fast combat game or a slow combat game? How do you think your game compares to others?

Fast combat. You have a matter of seconds to declare your first action of the round. I expect you to be ready. Actually resolving that action, and handling subsequent actions, can take longer.

I have no idea how it compares with others. Based on some of the horror stories I've read online, I'm doing okay, but that represents only a tiny fraction of groups out there.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Varianor Abroad said:
The poll, I think, asks "average" when median is more relevant.

No, I mean "AVERAGE." The "average" player, not the excellent player who has his snot together and rolls both dice at the same time and can rattle off the number in 5 seconds or less and not the "median" player who is cloven in twain like something from anime :)

Most players out there are "average." THey are neither good nor crappy..and thank the Easter Bunny that most are not crappy ;)

jh

Grymar

Explorer
Two players who are quick, decisive and on the ball. Less than 30 seconds.

One player who is unable to quickly do math and keep numbers in his head...2-3 minutes.

One player who has the decision making ability of a wet sock. 5-10 minutes (has exceeded 20 minutes on a turn).

Emirikol

Adventurer
blargney the second said:
Since we started giving bonus XP for players who act quickly in combat, things have sped up a lot.

Now there's an idea! I wonder how many autistic gamers would consider it too subjective though?

jh

Emirikol

Adventurer
Grymar said:
One player who has the decision making ability of a wet sock. 5-10 minutes (has exceeded 20 minutes on a turn).

Ouch! You may have to take your players on a field trip and have them play with a DM that doesn't put up with that stuff :)

DM: "Bob, your turn"
Bob: "Uhm, er..lemme look something up after I finish this subway sandwich...'
Other players, "GROAN"
DM: "Ok, bob, you're skipped."
Bob: "But..but.."
DM: "You know the rules. If you're reasonably not ready when your turn comes up, you get skipped."
Bob: "I quit."
Other players: "CHEEER"
DM: "Bob, we're not asking you to quit. We're just asking you to be considerate of the other players."
Bob: "Fine..lemme finish this subway sandwich first and then I'll roll my dice..wait, where's my character sheet?"
Other players: "WE QUIT."
DM: "GROAN"

jh

Remove ads