• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How Long Is Your "Typical" Session?

How many hours do you normally get together for when you play?

• Short (less than 4 hours)

Votes: 37 60.7%
  • Moderate (4-6 hours)

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • Long (6-8 hours)

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Going the distance (8-10 hours)

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Marathons! (10 hours or longer)

Votes: 1 1.6%

pogre

Legend
Reading these posts it seems almost pointless to meet for under 4 hours at all.

Really it heavily depends on the DM's pacing and the players' play styles. We play very quickly by the standards of this board. Part of our social contract is to stick to the game.

I am surprised short won, but it makes sense for the reasons folks cited.

I might favor short if we were to stay with virtual gaming. The level of engagement, or lack thereof, is more exhausting for me as a DM.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
The poll is set up a little weirdly. There is a big difference between right around four hours (perfect for in-person session imo) and six hours (way too long under most circumstances).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Three hours, for our online sessions. Sadly, often as short as 2 hours (8:30pm to 10:30pm). This can make campaigns go pretty slow, but at least we very consistently meet every week and on time.

When my husband plays with us, we tend to stop at around an hour and a half. When he opts out, we play closer to four hours. I like the longer sessions more, but they also mean we go through the material quicker, which in turn means that we sometimes have to have longer pauses between sessions while I prep for the next adventure.

Sadras

Legend
Three hours, for our online sessions. Sadly, often as short as 2 hours (8:30pm to 10:30pm). This can make campaigns go pretty slow, but at least we very consistently meet every week and on time.

This has been my experience during the lockdowns. I'm currently playing more now than ever before., especially since it is weekly.

Remove ads