• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How many adventurers are in your world?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Is adventuring a fairly common profession? Are there adventurer's guilds and taverns, bulletin boards posted with adventuring jobs, laws and conventions governing adventurers' conduct?

Or are the PCs unique? Is their lifestyle precedented at most by heroic myths and legends? Does the rest of society not quite know what to do with these heavily armed wanderers?

Or is the truth somewhere in the middle?

In my world, adventurers are uncommon. There aren't that many people dumb enough to make a living go after dangerous monsters. PC classes are common, however. Now, the PC's are also nearly unique. They are essentially fated adventurers and there are very, very few of those in the world. Their lives will be taken down more dangerous and more lucrative paths than the normal adventurer. Fame will come to them more easily.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Campaign dependent, but my current game does have an 'Adventurer's Guild.' The Guild provides a common access point for the hire of mercenaries on temporary contracts. To facilitate this, they provide meeting rooms warded against magical and mundane intrusion; have partnered with the Church of Tonnen, the banking God, to provide secure vault storage on a reasonable fee schedule for any persons; and offer matching services for mercenary companies and potential employers, either open or anonymously; contract mediation services for conflicts between hired mercenaries and employers; and a basic rating system that records the history of mercenary groups' success rates.

They call it the 'Adventurer's Guild' because "Mercenary's Guild" sounded a bit too aggressive.

Anyone can contract access to the Guild services for any reason, for a reasonable fee, be it just for a secure meeting space or access to vault spaces without approaching the much more reputable Church of Tonnen.

Of course, this is more a function of the base city the players are in, which is the largest city in the North States, is an independent city-state, has the catchphrase "anything, anytime", and has a patron god that is the god of Banking and Commerce. Of course someone monetized sending young idiots out on treasure hunts/rat exterminations.

*Maybe it was often followed? I didn't see it followed. YMMV.
I totally did that in one of my 3E campaigns, even though I completely rewrote the class (a lot more monkish). The Druids were a sinister secret society plotting against civilization. Almost like nature ninjas.

:)But in the world of Gygax, Neutral is always around, chewing gum and kicking posterior*.
I always sort of wondered why Gygax, good Christian that he was, and contradiction in terms notwithstanding, seemed to think that Neutrality was "better than" Good. Just an overdose of Moorcock?

Remove ads