How many combat encounters per session?

dreaded_beast

First Post
Last session, I believe I ran only 3 combat encounters for the entire session. The total time for the session was around 4 hours or so. The group consisted of 6 players.

Now, on average, how many combats do you have a session and what would you consider a good amount?

I would have had more combat, but I am currently unused to DMing that size of a group, so I suppose combat could have been much faster.

reiella

Explorer
Last session : #1 Combat in a session, of about 5 hours. 3 Players, 1 DM.
And it wasn't entirely because it was an Gargantuan Deep Spawn (Sidenote : add another +1 CR to any creature that gets Heal as an SLA when you advance by HitDie... :p).

Lately, I've been getting near 2 or 3 combats, some more "event to further the plot" than a 'serious threat' however.

I aim around 1 to 3 myself. Although I don't find a problem with having non or more dependant on the 'time'. If the party is in "High Density" areas (dungeons, the Isle of Despair, etc), I'd perfer to have around at least 5 in a session, or else it'd probably take too long to get 'through' the high density areas.

Pants

First Post
Usually 1 per session, though that one is usually pretty darn deadly...

However, there are times when I will string together chains of smaller combats or go whole sessions without combat. It really depends upon the situation in the game.

milotha

First Post
It depends on the adventure. Some adventures take multiple sessions without any combat. Others have 1-2 combats per night. I would say the we average 1 combat per two 4 hr sessions.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Iffy.

Generally 1-3, but I also just do a "DC Combat" system for a few mook battles. I only play out those significant, small-group conflicts.

Li Shenron

Legend
We are basically playing a classic dungeon-based adventure, but we still don't have more than 3-4 encounters per evening (about 4 hours on average). Combats are handled quite quickly nowadays, and most of the time is spent by the characters in exploration, overcoming static challenges and hazards, or planning what to do to be best prepared for the next threat.

Remove ads