• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How many fans want a 5E Warlord?

How many fans want a 5E Warlord?

• I want a 5E Warlord

Votes: 139 45.9%
  • Lemmon Curry

Votes: 169 55.8%

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediGamemaster

First Post
So, because you're making a big stink nobody else is allowed to have their toys and the measure of what is allowed in the game is how big a hissy fit you throw, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thank you for clarifying that.

no, here is the thing... you bring up 'some people might not like X' to respond to 'more people dislike Y'. The problem is that you want to change the argument. Our argument is "Hey, we don't want warlords messing up D&D" and your pretending "Well clerics or monks or warlocks already mess up the game." except if you start a "No warlord" thread it gets to pg 162, if you start a "No monk" thread I doubt it makes it half to that (80ish pages). Apples and Oranges

It wrecks the narrative. That's all it needs to do.

You can't ignore wounds forever. I'd be fine with some sort of die-hard mechanic that lets the warlord's chosen allies ignore wounds for some duration. That's not inspirational healing, though.

Yeah, and nothing in the rules implies that at > 50% hp, you're suffering any wounds. It's narratively consistent. That's all it needs to be. That's how inspirational healing fails - it is not consistent with the wound narrative.

Much like gods, Lovecraftian entities are a presumed part of the game narrative. Entirely inspirational hit points are not a presumed part of the game narrative, though it's not incompatible with the rules as they stand. Entirely wound-based hit points are also not part of that presumed game narrative, though they are not incompatible with the rules as they stand.

That's a campaign-wide decision, though, not a decision that is in the hands of one player making a class selection.

Yeah, if that was available within the presented narrative in 5e, that'd work fine. "Your passionate exhortation can restore others to life."

Nobody is demanding "entirely inspirational hit points". All we're asking for is that its possible that inspiration can get you back to a point where your ability to fight is unimpaired (or it IS impaired but you're so pumped up that you don't feel it, etc). That seems to be consistent with the existing hit point mechanics and their reasonable narrative explanations. Its not going to be the USUAL case that the warlord is going to inspire a guy at 0 hit points back to 100% full strength anyway. If he's still in ANY way less than completely restored then you've got no issue. In the very rare case where it happens chances are the character isn't going to STAY at full strength anyway, or if he does there's going to be some sort of break in the action where presumably he gets a bandage and his wound is no longer a significant issue (and this follows a vast amount of literary and movie lore where characters run around constantly with token bandages).

It honestly seems like this giant mountain is being constructed out of this tiny molehill of a corner-case that doesn't even come up much. We've already stated that we can live with things like using hit dice, which virtually guarantees you can't heal a dying character to full hit points already. What MORE do you want???!!! Sheesh. Who's being unreasonable here?

Aldarc

Legend
no, here is the thing... you bring up 'some people might not like X' to respond to 'more people dislike Y'. The problem is that you want to change the argument. Our argument is "Hey, we don't want warlords messing up D&D" and your pretending "Well clerics or monks or warlocks already mess up the game." except if you start a "No warlord" thread it gets to pg 162, if you start a "No monk" thread I doubt it makes it half to that (80ish pages). Apples and Oranges
Probably because the rest of us know that we can open up our table for the cleric or monk regardless of our feelings for the respective classes without having to be jerks to people who want them. This is apples and oranges, but bad apples and bad oranges trying to prevent other people from having fun.

Probably because the rest of us know that we can open up our table for the cleric or monk regardless of our feelings for the respective classes without having to be jerks to people who want them. This is apples and oranges, but bad apples and bad oranges trying to prevent other people from having fun.

the irony is that my problem with Divine casters is why I want the warlord...

my group like having clerics and druids and palidens, but only when you want to role play devotion... but we also feel we need a healer...so we end up making a mechanic cleric but role play it like a wizard...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, because you're making a big stink nobody else is allowed to have their toys and the measure of what is allowed in the game is how big a hissy fit you throw, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thank you for clarifying that.

Ladies and gentlemen,

We don't care who started behaving poorly - we expect you to treat each other with respect. Laughing in people's faces is pretty much the antithesis of showing respect.

If you cannot treat people well, we expect you to disengage from the discussion. If you cannot do that, you may find it will be done for you, and that's usually not pleasant. So, play nice.

Imaro

Legend
the irony is that my problem with Divine casters is why I want the warlord...

my group like having clerics and druids and palidens, but only when you want to role play devotion... but we also feel we need a healer...so we end up making a mechanic cleric but role play it like a wizard...

Why not just use alternative methods of healing like the Healer feat... healing potions...Inspiring Leader feat...Bard Class...Ranger Class...Warlock class...Rally maneuver...Magic Initiate feat... and so on.

Edit: Which is to say there is already alot of available non-divine healing in 5e

Imaro

Legend
I think 5e supplies an abundance of healing options.

Yeah the more I run 5e the more I'm realizing this as well... I think it's a good thing but I also think it makes the claims of someone having to play a divine character for healing ring kind of hollow in actual play.

Why not just use alternative methods of healing like the Healer feat... healing potions...Inspiring Leader feat...Bard Class...Ranger Class...Warlock class...Rally maneuver...Magic Initiate feat... and so on.

Edit: Which is to say there is already alot of available non-divine healing in 5e
right now we are using a bard and it is working out ok... but what we want is a warlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads