D&D 5E How many settings will D&D by 2024?

So far we have Eberron, Ravnica, Sort of the Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Theros, soon Strixhaven/Arcavios, next year 2 Classic Settings, the year after another Classic setting and maybe if all goes well 2 new settings, and a setting revisit in 2024.

That's 11 Settings and revisit, which is funny because for years 5e got by on nothing, but a small slice of 1 setting.

Do you think there could be some MtG setting snuck in during 2022, 2023, and 2024? and where is all the cries of setting bloat, it's 2e all over again? LMFAO 🤣😂

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Do you think there could be some MtG setting snuck in during 2022, 2023, and 2024? and where is all the cries of setting bloat, it's 2e all over again? LMFAO 🤣😂

I’m expecting at least one Magic-to-D&D product every year. Whether it will be an adventure or a campaign setting... I’ve no idea.

As for 2e setting bloat, I’m a DC Comics fan. I love alternate universes and therefore see nothing wrong with having as many different campaign settings as I can get my hands on. I’m in the middle of building a “Crisis on Multiple Earths” campaign right now!

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

I'm not sure how many folks actually complained about 2E's setting stuff during their releases... it was only after that folks were trying to diagnose why sales were weaker in 2E that the "setting bloat" theory came up.

I do think generally a problem with 2E was a lot of products generally that weren't making back their costs in labor/distribution. Not settings generally, just "product bloat."

5E obviously has a much more limited release schedule, even if settings are now making up a bigger proportion of releases.

Anyway, I could be wrong but I'm actually not expecting a MTG setting next year. If we are getting 2 classic settings returning and possibly an entirely new one (and a cameo) that is a lot of settings all in one year. I'd be surprised if they added another MTG setting as well, though it's of course possible.

aco175

Legend
I recall TSR/Wizards talking about setting bloat and only DMs buy them and how they do not make money. Instead of having a ton of sales for one book, you now have some sales for many books and that workload wasn't worth it. I guess times change and they may have a lot of the old stuff being used so workload is reduced. Maybe the slow pace of putting them out means the same number of people will but all of them.

I recall TSR/Wizards talking about setting bloat and only DMs buy them and how they do not make money. Instead of having a ton of sales for one book, you now have some sales for many books and that workload wasn't worth it. I guess times change and they may have a lot of the old stuff being used so workload is reduced. Maybe the slow pace of putting them out means the same number of people will but all of them.

Do you have a link to that?

The setting bloat for TSR came with the fact that each setting was supported with supplements, adventures, entire boxed sets. For example, Planescape had, what, 5 boxed sets with full color books and maps. 5e settings are released and then that's basically it...there's not going to be further supplements, adventures with a metaplot, etc.

One thing about the 90s though is that people started playing other games. I came into dnd in the early 90s, but was immediately aware of all these other interesting games. Hopefully we'll see something similar in the next few years, where all of the people who have come into the hobby finally get sick of dnd and start looking around to other games to play.

Scribe

Legend
But seriously, I think those mtg settings are probably the most creative bits of 5e
Could be, but I dislike, at a cellular level, crossover type content.

The books could be anything else, and the content would be fine.

I'm petty like that unfortunately.

And again, I say this as someone deeply invested in MTG, financially.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases