D&D General How many Short Rests do you routinely take?

How many Short Rests (on average) does your group take between Long Rests?

Votes: 6 13.0%

Votes: 20 43.5%

Votes: 15 32.6%

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • More than 3

Votes: 3 6.5%

Reef

Hero
With all the discussions around the new Warlock changes, one thing that keeps coming up is the variance in how many Short Rests groups take. For whatever reason, some groups have more opportunity to Rest. Since this has a direct effect on Pact Magic, I thought it be interesting to see where the average lay.

This isn’t about why or why not you get as many Rests as you do (table preference, fast-paced adventures, one combat days, etc), just a flat out average.

the Jester

Legend
I am in multiple groups. I would say that on average, groups I run take 3 short rests between long rests. In El Jefe's game, probably 2; in Rob's, probably 2; in Will's, probably 1-2; and in Aaron's, probably 3.

Pedantic

Legend
I don't know that "per long rest" is enough here, you probably also need to factor in how many encounters are planned between long rests. I would have to answer 1-2, but I generally only have 1-2 encounters, with a short rest after each.

Reef

Hero
I don't know that "per long rest" is enough here, you probably also need to factor in how many encounters are planned between long rests. I would have to answer 1-2, but I generally only have 1-2 encounters, with a short rest after each.
You’re right, but I couldn’t figure out how to do that without setting up a separate poll. I figured I start with this and see where it takes me…

Pedantic

Legend
You’re right, but I couldn’t figure out how to do that without setting up a separate poll. I figured I start with this and see where it takes me…
Thinking about it further, I think an average "daily short rests per encounter" is the most useful metric here. I'm assuming the default number is 2 short rests over 4 encounters in 1 adventuring day, to get a final value of 1/2, with my stated value running closer to 1. A no short rest game will have a value of 0, and a rare short rest game is probably closer to 1/4.

Reef

Hero
Thinking about it further, I think an average "daily short rests per encounter" is the most useful metric here. I'm assuming the default number is 2 short rests over 4 encounters in 1 adventuring day, to get a final value of 1/2, with my stated value running closer to 1. A no short rest game will have a value of 0, and a rare short rest game is probably closer to 1/4.
You know, you’re right. Per encounter probably makes more sense. I should probably make a new poll…

I voted 0. Meals on the road are either brief affairs or involve collecting wood, cooking, collecting water, caring for the mounts, setting up tents, standing guard, etc. Maybe one person could take a short rest but not the whole party. It's even less relaxing if we are actively exploring someplace in the wilds.

Now, in town we take 2-3 short rests for meals and evening chit chat.

aco175

Legend
A few years ago, I made a bunch of adventures that had only 3 encounters (combats) each. This was to be able to complete in a game night. They usually followed a method of having 2 encounters, short rest, and then the last/big encounter.

Now, I tend to have longer dungeons with several encounters so the average short rest is 2 per day. Playing Against hte Giants with larger dungeons seems to be about 2 as well, not sure if level comes into play but they are 9th and seem to have several cool items that may allow for a delay before resting.

Remove ads