How Many Streaming Services Is to Many?

Zardnaar

Legend
As the title says.

At one point we had four now we have two. Most we didn't pay for as they came bundled with ISP deals. For example Netflix was free and we got lightbox for free with the internet. The price didn't go up even if we are technically paying for the ISP.

We changed to a new company paid for Netflix and picked up Amazon prime and some technical difficulties so only really had it for a few weeks.

I'm paying for another one. But wait there's even more. Hulu, Disney Plus, CBS, HBO are all jumping on the bandwagon.

Now theres a limit of time and money and a big problem is a relative lack of content. Netflix for example looks big but we've had it for three years so have watched a lot of back catalogue.

There's some good shows on it but I watched half a season of Orange is the New Black today and in the last few weeks Stranger Things, Designated Survivor, and Black Mirror. Also enjoyed House of Cards.

An older show with a lot of seasons of 20 plus episodes and 7 to 10 seasons can keep you busy for a while but a lot if shows are 10 or 12 episodes. One day of binge watching on a day off on or a few nights and that season is done. Netflix only has a handful of good originals.

The new Disney plus looks really starved for content. Most if the Star Wars movies, The Mandalorian, and something with Jeff Goldblum for new shows. Only 4 movies of the MCU.

Let's assume the Mandalorian is really good, Rebels or Clone Wars good. You can bang that out fairly fast then what?

Amazon Prime has The Man in The Iron Castle and some other OK shows, but the good stuff is mainly older shows you have already seen or own. Decent amount of movies though and some 80s stuff as well.

Outside Amazon and Netflix the others don't seem to have that much. All of them suck for UI, Amazon was even more annoying than the local NZ one which while small had more quality content than Disney will have on launch.

The smaller ones seem to only have 1 show that's "must see", CBS pushed Star Trek, Disney The Mandalorian. How many do you want to pay for? For us it's going to be 3 I think.

The New Zealand one I referenced.
https://www.lightbox.co.nz/
Have a look at the quality of the most popular shows. It's better than a few if these new ones. $5 USD approx and we dumped it due to seeing everything we wanted and it had a few good NZ shows as well.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Not sure what you're trying to say, or what you want to discuss.

Yes, you can soon go wild and subscribe to more than half a dozen streaming services.

Other people find the shows they like and watch just them.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I use three. Sky, Netflix, Amazon. That covers everything.

Plus the free stuff like BBC iPlayer and the like.

ccs

41st lv DM
I suspect I'll add the Disney one once the 1st Marvel show launches.
So that'll make 3: Netflix, Prime (wich I actually have because of the shopping, the streaming is a bonus), & then Disney.

As for Star Trek?
I'll just leave Discovery as an easy Christmas gift idea for my cousins & watch it on disc 6+ months later than everyone else.:)

Janx

Hero
I've got Amazon Prime w/Starrz, Netflix, Hulu, CrunchyRoll, and CBS

I only got CBS for Star Trek (which we do watch parties, so they're only getting my dime).

I'm sure I'd like the new MCU content, but I'm not keen on adding another sub. Maybe one of my friends from the Trek watching posse will carry that weight.

There's a lot of overlap between Netflix and Prime, but the original content on both is good. That's probably why both started making original content.

I watch Hulu the least (well Crunchy Roll is for the wife). I got it for "current" shows which I've fallen behind on so now it's even less relevant.

I'm still spending less than my cable bill was, but I wouldn't mind trimming the fat.

Prime is likely to stick around because I save a fortune in shipping.

The new Disney plus looks really starved for content. Most if the Star Wars movies, The Mandalorian, and something with Jeff Goldblum for new shows. Only 4 movies of the MCU.

Unless you're only talking about NEW content, in which case you should use the word NEW because you've got the whole back catalog of Disney movies and shows,along with PIxar's movies,some of Fox's shows.

As for me currently, I'm only subbed to to Netflix and Amazon prime, but I may add Disney+. I'm only subbed to the two I mentioned because of The Crown (netflix) and The Man in the high castle (amazon). I just recently watched Good Omens, which was very very funny and good.

Zardnaar

Legend
Unless you're only talking about NEW content, in which case you should use the word NEW because you've got the whole back catalog of Disney movies and shows,along with PIxar's movies,some of Fox's shows.

As for me currently, I'm only subbed to to Netflix and Amazon prime, but I may add Disney+. I'm only subbed to the two I mentioned because of The Crown (netflix) and The Man in the high castle (amazon). I just recently watched Good Omens, which was very very funny and good.

There's not much of the back catalogue either though.
https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/disney-plus-lineup-shows-movies-streaming-1203188116/

Down the bottom is the full list.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
Why does it have to be either/or? Especially if you have a handy Roku or similar TV.

For example, I love the show Ray Donovan. If I'm patient, I can wait until an entire season is finished, or nearly, finished, and then sub Showtime for a month. I'm essentially paying $15 for 10 episodes of Ray Donovan, which I consider fairly good value. And then maybe if I throw in a couple movies, or if there's another series I like, it fleshes out quite nicely.

I used to do the same with Game of Thrones, although HBO had more programs I liked so would sub for longer.

You could do similar with Hulu, Starz, Netflix, etc - even have them on rotation, a month or two of each in a row. That keeps things a bit fresh. Starz has a solid selection, but if you pay a monthly rate and watch a lot of movies, it grows stale pretty quickly.

Remove ads