How Many Streaming Services Is to Many?

Gadget

Adventurer
I have heard talk of a movement to get shows available on all streaming services and having the various streaming providers compete on quality and features rather than exclusive content, but that sounds like a lot of wishful thinking. There was references to a Supreme Court case from the 50's that did something similar for movie theaters, as before that time theaters had to either be owned by or give certain studios special treatment to show their movies. I remain doubtful though.

I currently have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO. HBO will go away when I'm done with Westworld (it came back for GoT). Amazon Prime is around because we also use it for shipping (although I admit I am fond of it as a service).

In the past, I've rotated through CBS, Sling, and Youtube TV. Those were mainly to allow us to keep up on shows that we watched on cable that we couldn't get anywhere else. Since we stopped watching the Walking Dead, we've had no reason to keep them up.

Having multiple streaming services does add up, but it's still cheaper than cable, has better service than cable, and allows me to add/drop/change services very easily. The only thing I really miss is Turner Classic Movies.

I have heard talk of a movement to get shows available on all streaming services and having the various streaming providers compete on quality and features rather than exclusive content, but that sounds like a lot of wishful thinking. There was references to a Supreme Court case from the 50's that did something similar for movie theaters, as before that time theaters had to either be owned by or give certain studios special treatment to show their movies. I remain doubtful though.

That was an antitrust case, basically dealing with the fact that it was a vertical monopoly for studios to make, distribute, and control screenings of movies. While I can see how it's related to the current case of streaming services, it's different enough that I don't know if it could be used as precedent. Given what we've seen over the last few years in terms of mergers in the media world, I think it's fair to say the current US government is much more lenient it terms of antitrust issues that they were back then. IMNSHO, Net Neutrality is a much bigger current issue for the future of streaming services.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I get enough free shipping with Prime that that service is practically free.

With the upcoming Disney/hulu/espn bundle I think I'll drop Netflix.

So 1-2 with maybe a rotating third depending on content is the plan for me.

Zardnaar

Legend
If you have kids, that content is killer app levels.

Nope no kids.

If they had the MCU, all the Star Wars stuff, decent new Star Wars cartoons (Resistance just got cancelled), and the classic Disney movies (pre Alladin) it would be tempting.

I think you need around a dozen decent shows or a huge back catalogue like Amazon.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nope no kids.

If they had the MCU, all the Star Wars stuff, decent new Star Wars cartoons (Resistance just got cancelled), and the classic Disney movies (pre Alladin) it would be tempting.

I think you need around a dozen decent shows or a huge back catalogue like Amazon.

Three kids here, so it is very tempting: execution will play a role. The triple package with Hulu+ and ESPN+ is something to ponder for me, as well. Right now, we just have Netflix and Amazon Prime (for the shipping, though I am super stoked for the Wheel of Time show), and that's pretty satisfactory. Subscribing to Netflix, Amazon, and the Disney Omnipackage would be cheaper than taking my wife to the local theatre one night per month, soooo it is pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases