• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much backlash is too much?

Squire James

First Post
I've made my comment before about the out-of-game aspects of this, so I suppose I should expound on what to do if this train wreck of a campaign is (for whatever reason) allowed to continue.

The confrontation you set up between the evil PC and the paladin was a bit of poor planning on your part. That paladin was doomed. If you want someone to be anything like a recurring antagonist, they MUST take a mostly "hands off" approach to dealing with the party until the final confrontation. The paladin's grief and anger should have been expressed from several blocks away. If you're a "simulationist" who sent that paladin over there because that would be his realistic reaction, then I assure you that what happened is a pretty realistic result when dealing with people "south of Chaotic Neutral"!

If you feel you must establish some revenge cycle, keep it in major NPC's and serve the revenge cold. Go on to something else for now. The townspeople are unhappy. They will still sell their stuff, but they won't do special orders for the PC's top choice items anymore. No more free healing. Stuff fairly bought and paid for still goes on, though.

Remove ads