• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How Much D&D is To Much?

Waterbizkit

Explorer
As other posters have already hinted at, this is a far more complex question than simply "is it too much?" You need to analyze a few different aspects of your life as a whole in order to be able to answer a question that seems simple on the surface, but clearly isn't once you start looking deeper.

First and foremost would be to figure out whether or not dedicating this much time to one hobby is negatively impacting other areas of your life. And when doing this you need to be honest with yourself, because as soon as you start trying to make excuses for anything that raises a red flag then the exercise becomes pointless.

It certainly possible of course that you simply have a lot of leisure time and have decided to dedicate almost all of it to a single hobby, so there's no need to over-analyze, but the fact your asking the question on a message board to begin with may be an indicator that you already think there's an issue, regardless of how much seriousness you're placing on it.

Speaking solely for myself, I can manage about one long session a month. But I'm also married, have a child and own a home on top of having a full time job and other hobbies I dedicate my time to. Like I said though, every persons situation is going to be different and it's only by looking at your own that you'll be able to answer this question for yourself.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Back in school we used to play 3-4 nights a week often for 6+ hours at a time and on a Sunday for 6+ hours. Of course that was 1st/2nd edition and prep was really easy. We'd often pull longer sessions as we got older and even did a few all day sessions that lasted 16+ hours. One of the most crazy sessions involved alcohol and giving out crazy amounts of magic items as we drank more.

Nowadays I play once a week for 3-4 hours :(

Fedge123

First Post
“The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom...You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough.”

― William Blake, Proverbs of Hell

epithet

Explorer
My friends and I are running D&D once a month (or thereabouts). Gone are the days where we would play more often than that. It's been a long time since high school, we would often play during our lunch break back then.

Oh, man, those were the days. I was given the use of an old Oldsmobile sedan from my grandparents when I was in high school, and we would pile into that (it was like a living room on wheels) and go to Sonic and play D&D in the car.

Nine Hands

Explorer
I run three games a week (Dresden Files, Mecha Space Vikings, and 5E), and play in one (Fate Star Wars). With my kids being older and my wife as a player in two of the games, I think its a good balance.

Zardnaar

Legend
No wife and kids, I guess?

With a full-time job, wife, and kids, I consider myself fortunate to play twice a week (Thursday 19-23, and Sunday 15-19).

But hey, if it makes you happy, why stop? I mean, it's not like you're on drugs... are you???

Wife no kids. She plays as well. And a public holiday. We are planning to have 1/4 weeks off. One session I DM the other play.ĺ

Last edited:

Pjack

Explorer
"Too much D&D"? I don't understand. I mean, I understand what those words mean individually, but when you put them together like that it doesn't make any sense. ;)

Although I guess I would recommend occasionally skipping a game to do something non-gaming with friends, just for variety. Host a party, go out to a movie, do some volunteer work, go out to dinner, go for a hike, start a book group. Some of your gaming friends will only be interested in D&D, which is fine; not every activity has to include everyone.

But also keep playing lots and lots of D&D!

S'mon

Legend
I generally top out at 4 short sessions/week, probably about 12 hours or so. Generally 3 sessions/9 hours is good. This week I'm GMing tabletop this evening, Tuesday (players coming in an hour!) :D then online Wednesday & Thursday. Last week was similar. My regular schedule over the next few weeks looks to be
Monday 7pm-10pm tabletop (2 alternating games: 4e D&D and 5e D&D)
Tuesday 7pm-10pm tabletop (Classic D&D)
Thursday 7pm-10pm online (5e D&D)
With occasional extra online games, a weekend tabletop game mid-November, etc.
I find that doable except when really busy with work.

Remove ads