• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much damage does a half-ogre do?

Brekki

First Post
Falling damage for an object would be 3d6 (600 lb) + 28d6 (280 ft beyond first increment) = 31d6 ... but there is a maximum of 20d6 so that becomes 20d6 +1d6 fire (DMG p303)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Actually, I'd argue a max 20d6 for falling +3d6 weight + 1d6 fire. Unless the fire was put out by the fall.

And I'd give splatter damage to those nearby. :D

Mindflayer84

First Post
The laws of physics tell us that, since the force of gravity is 2.8 m/s squared, that once an object has been falling for a certain distance, it no longer increases in speed, therfore it would not increase in damage. Also, physics has shown that to similarly shaped objects can be dropped from the same distance, and land at the same time, therfore the weight makes now difference to how hard an object hits once it lands.(object in point, dropping a penny off of the CN tower)This is probably why the creators of the game set the fall damage as they did.

But I do like the idea of splash damage, especially since the picture in my head is flying bits of broken armour, burning bones, etc....

ps- if anyone reading this would like to test that out, take a grape, and an orange, and drop the from the same height.

myradale

First Post
Ok, the acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s squared, or 32 ft/s/s for the americans.

The force of gravity ALWAYS acts to accelerate you towards the ground, it's just that at a certain point the force of air resistance slowing you down (which increases with velocity) balances you out and you stop speeding up (in the case of a human falling roughly flat, you break even at about 220 ft/s or so)

So the 20d6 limit is pretty decent if a 10ft fall results in 1d6.

But with a creature twice the size (and 2X the air resistance), the mass is 8 times as much. (for a net 4X faster fall) A spider dropped from a plane won't even notice, a mouse will bounce and probably not break so much as a bone, and an elephant would splash. I think that's why they have the mass modifiers in there.

And since fat burns rather well, I'd guess the burning splash damage would TOTALLY apply.

I'm with Piratecat on this one.

myradale

First Post
Oh... and the "similarly shaped object" thing only works in an airless environment.

Case in point: an apple and an orange of the same volume and shape would fall at roughly the same speed, but a bowling ball and a balloon have about the same volume and shape as well.

Remove ads