• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much is that Mastodon in the window...

Eidalac

Explorer
So, working on an epic game and one of the players needs a mount.

He's an Ogre, so he needs something a bit bigger than the standard horse.

You say mounted Ogre, I think of a Mastodon. I'm funny like that.

Anyway, I've got no clue how to price something like that, so I'm wondering if there is any similar pricing of an exotic mount I might be able to use to get a decent figure. I don't need to be terribly exact, but I have to charge him something for it...

Shayuri

First Post
Depends, I guess, on how powerful and exotic the critter is. I'd say, off the cuff, anywhere from 4x the price of a heavy horse or warhorse (depending on if the creature is "combat trained") for an animal that hasn't got much in the way of attacks, AC, hit points, etc...one that is basically good for travel and not much else...all the way up to 10x or more for a combat mount with good attacks and stats and so on.

Even 10x isn't much money compared to magic items and such, but that's intentional. Even heavily exotic mounts probably shouldn't be very expensive, since they die so easily and are of such limited utility.

ethandrew

First Post
In the Planar Handbook they have a huge creature called the Gaspar. It's 14HD, huge, 60ft land speed (and when performing a full attack, has seven attacks, crazy). It costs 22.500gp.

Remove ads