• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much thought do you give names?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Names have power. In this case, the power to shape the way you (and perhaps others) think about the character. Having the right name can give you a real hook for consistently playing along your original concept.

So, I put a whole lot of thought to names, and they are frequently symbolic in some way. Usually, the symbolism is not noticeable to someone outside my head, mind you.

Thurbane

First Post
I try to put thought into all names, PC and NPC. I wish I could say say the same for most of the guys I play with - too many (bad) puns, or literature knock-off names for me...or worse yet, no name at all "Hey there half-elf beguiler!" :confused:

Amazing Triangle

First Post
Generally I go to a random generator and give it a go when I find one I like I go with it. If I don't I go to step 2. I go to references, Census generator for humans; races of the wild for their races; races of stone for their races, and then roll on the random tables if the combo doesn't make sense then I piece things together that make sense sound wise.

So as long as it is easy to say it is ok by me.

Rabelais

First Post
I like it when names mean something... Other than my screename and long time Elven Bard, Rabelais was a 16th century French novelist/poet.

I'll stick with odd Racial/cultural combinations on other names. Suryanokhotep Sekwetemi was Egyptian/Russian/Thai

Xianghotep Loxiao is Chinese/Egyptian.

I take some time over my names, probably about as long as it takes me to build the rest of the character.

exile

First Post
I put considerable effort into using setting/culturally appropriate names (which is not to say that it is an overly difficult task). "Baby Names from Around the World" is probably in my top 10 of books referenced for gaming. The internet more than suffices for surnames. If a gaming product provides a list of sample names, I'm all over using that as a resource as well.

One thing that I like to do with names as a DM, is to give a cohort of thugs a collection of culturally coherent names, then give one of them a name from elsewhere to help single him or her out- perhaps as a foreign mercenary (with better stats) or simply as someone with a funny name or interesting backstory. If nothing else, it entertains me.

Elf Witch

First Post
Names are very important and I give it a lot of thought. I try and make the name fit the world for example when I play in Kalamar setting I use the name rules from the area the PC is from.

Sometimes I give full names depending on the character and where she is from if she nobailty or just a peasant who got called by a God.

Graybeard

Explorer
I too use charts of names I have written out over the years. I have charts for various ethnic groups, I use EBON, a baby name dictionary, and various history books. My current campaign that I am running has countries based on Italy/Rome, Greece, Egypt, Turkey, etc. so a lot of Mediterranean sounding names. I also watch the history channel alot.

Mallus

Legend
Rabelais said:
I'll stick with odd Racial/cultural combinations on other names. Suryanokhotep Sekwetemi was Egyptian/Russian/Thai

Xianghotep Loxiao is Chinese/Egyptian.
Nice. I use French/Indian combinations for one city in my homebrew, yielding lovely constructions like Pavur-Pierre Arjuna St. Sous, Delphine Laxshmi St. Sous, Jean-Rama Renoir, Sancere Apu-Tati (namad for wine, the Simpsons, and a director of French slapstick comedies), and Noemi St. Sikh du Mer (a lady pirate loosely (de)based on Captain Nemo).

I love the naming of names. Most that I cook up are faintly ridiculous, but they're not meant to reflect some elaborate, internally consistent fictional culture... they're just meant to entertain.

Remove ads