Pathfinder 1E How much would this cost?

Stormonu

Legend
Well, I'd start with the base cost of the mountain lion (1,000?) + cost of a permanent enlarge spell being cast (10+4,500+2,500) + cost of a +2 weapon (8,000 gp), + cost of a +4 Dex, Con, Wis, Chr (16,000+8,000+8,000+8,000) "collar" wondrous item + a +2 armor (+4,000)=60,020 gp

or some more reasonable fraction, say 2,500 gp?

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Well, I'd start with the base cost of the mountain lion (1,000?) + cost of a permanent enlarge spell being cast (10+4,500+2,500) + cost of a +2 weapon (8,000 gp), + cost of a +4 Dex, Con, Wis, Chr (16,000+8,000+8,000+8,000) "collar" wondrous item + a +2 armor (+4,000)=60,020 gp

or some more reasonable fraction, say 2,500 gp?

Wow! there's a name I haven't seen for a few months.

So. 2500 of the 60,020. I see the math of the 60,020, where does the figure of 2500 figure from? I need to present this to the dm, so all the izes need dotted and tees crossed, please.

Stormonu

Legend
Wow! there's a name I haven't seen for a few months.

So. 2500 of the 60,020. I see the math of the 60,020, where does the figure of 2500 figure from? I need to present this to the dm, so all the izes need dotted and tees crossed, please.

the 2500 is +150% of a "standard" exotic mountain lion pet from above, based on GM gut feeling.

hmm...looking at the ol' 2E PHB - from which a lot of 3E's non-magic item prices come from, a hunting cat ("jaguar, etc.") is 5,000 gp. However, for comparison, a War Elephant is only 500 gp ...

Another way to look at it, and to price it better, would be to figure when a Druid could gain it as an animal companion and price it at 1/5 of the character's wealth-by-level (assuming 33% of wealth to weapons, 33% of wealth to armor, and 33% split between 2-3 misc items; say 20% on one "good" item). Looks like this might be something a 5th level druid could have, so about 2,100 gp. :)

MarkB

Legend
Adding those templates to a mountain lion would give it size and CR equivalent to a dire lion - which you can buy for 1000 gp. Of course, dire animals are less biddable which reduces their value, and this particular lion would be a specially bred specimen, so doubling the price up to 2000 gp would not be unreasonable.

EDIT: Looks like we're more or less in the same ballpark with either approach.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
yes, so far you guys are indeed in the same area. My dm, [MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION], has seen a link here so he may chime in.

Leif

Adventurer
Chiming in.

The estimates given here are all over the place. Let's choose a middle-ground answer of 10,500 gp, and just cal it a day.

Leif

Adventurer
And somebody said 60,200 gp. Check in our OOC thread. I will not continue to discuss the game in a thread outside the game.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I know this isn't what you asked but first I would ask you a few questions to see what it is you like and want about this creature request. Are you planning on using it in combat? Are you planning on using it as a mount? What is it that appeals to you about this idea and what are you looking to do?

I'll give you my thoughts on this request in general before I get to price so that you understand where I'm coming from for price. A mountain lion is a medium sized cat (3pp, by the way) with stats very similar to the lion which is a large creature. Normal animal half the size and almost equal power? Makes me frown. Then I would consider that you want it large, which you could just handwave and make large with the same stats or apply the Giant template, and you want the Advanced template as well. For each 'special' I would add a cost multiplier of 10. Add a cost multiplier of 10 for rarity (after all, you did have to outbid the Sultan of Sajineer for this rare beast) presuming you aren't adventuring in the Pleistocene where big creatures are running around with greater frequency. So, standard lion price (200 gp) x30 for a cost of 6,000 gp, untrained. Which seems about right since this creature is about on par with a griffon.

Then I would point out that actions spent commanding it to attack, change targets, etc. are actions that you aren't getting in a full-attack action. Its hit point total (under 40) is low for a combatant. And this thing is gonna require a lot of food. Are you really sure...?

Honestly, I would just recommend you ask your DM if you could use a pathfinderized version of the Wild Cohort feat or use Leadership (though this has its own set of problems).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases