How often do you use minions?

Inez Hull

First Post
I'm curious as to whether DM's out there load fights up with 'em, use them in a mix with other roles, or don't use them much at all.

I find one of the biggest differences of feel in 4E to previous editions is the lastability (is that even a word?) of humanoid monsters like goblins, orcs etc. In previous editions it was usually numbers of these opponents, especially once past the first few levels, that made them challenging, whereas in 4E "standard" orcs can be really tough, I guess depending on how often they are encountered as minions plays a big role in this.

Also, as players what is your preference in regards to encountering minions?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
The only time I use them as DM is if I'm running a pre-made adventure and I don't have time ahead of time to yank them out and replace them with something else.

As a player, I find them non-challenging and boring, but that could be because most of my PCs have at least one area effect power and usually, it's an At Will power.

Hejdun

First Post
As a DM, I love using minions. The only problem is that they are worth far too much XP, so I just reduce their XP by half for accounting purposes. As far as I can tell, my players love chewing through hordes of minions, so I provide a lot.

My DM hates minions, and I think it's been about 10 levels since we've seen any. I don't really mind; it makes my job as Defender easier (not to mention my signature "Come-and-get-it-and-spam-close-bursts" strategy much more effective at defending).

Mengu

First Post
It's kind of hard to measure how often I use them. I might do 4-5 encounters all involving some minions, then I might go another 4-5 without using an encounter. But they'll usually be scattered here and there. I like fights with lots of minions when there also is another objective on the table because PC's will be much more willing to provoke opportunity attacks from minions than anything else. Waves of minions are always fun when you want to keep the pressure on without taxing resources too much. For me, minions (like most other monster types) are more of a tool for encounter design than anything else.

I also use tough minions occasionally. I'll vary the mechanics for it slightly, but it basically means they may need to hit (or damage) the minion twice to kill it.

As player, I like fighting some minions at least occasionally because when I build a character, I'm likely to spend at least an encounter resource on being a little more effective against minions, and wouldn't want that resource to be wasted. What I don't like is fighting 20 goblins none of which are minions. That just feels like a drag. I don't mind taking on 8-10 standard monsters (for a party of 5), but any more than that, and I know the fight will slowly head toward at-will slug fest. Controllers do help out a lot in such fights though.

Aulirophile

First Post
I use minions with solos to give the solo CA.

I use Ranged minions with elites and hazardous terrain to really scare PCs (move > stand > Standard >attack > minor > prone is harsh when it gives them complete cover, smart readying and use of area bursts becomes essential).

All my melee minions are 2-hit minions. 1 hit to bloody, 1 hit to kill, any single attack that does Fort defense in damage kills it.

I will frequently use minions as part of a combat skill challenge. Waves of stuff coming every round while the PCs are trying to do something else. One instance of this they were trying to fix a portal. The Wizard had the best odds of success... and the best AE. 10 minions appeared every round, charging in waves from three different directions (ceiling being one, round 3 was a good surprise). There was a time limit till the BBEG got there (7 rounds, they weren't ready to actually fight him yet, running villain, they barely got out in time ), so it was a real critical decision making process.

Minions are super dangerous when utilized properly, and an ever-escalating minion war vs the PCs is actually a fun hobby for a creative DM, because no matter how hard you try, they shouldn't ever be TPK dangerous, but can easily be "this fight is going to cost us a daily and a bunch of surges."

DMKototh

Explorer
In my campaigns I use them where it makes sense. For the squad of guards or crowd of militia that just aren't "adventurer timber" they're very handy; and for story and setting they make the point that the PCs are heroes, not just Joe Average with some motivation. :)
To make minions more meaningful, I've given orcs (In Siege of Bordrin's Watch) an "extra hit" trait (hit, make save, just bloodied), and I've boosted damage and defenses a bit.
I also find that minions' XP value is appropriate when their numbers are PCs+1

Victim

First Post
They haven't been too common in our game, being used about once per adventure.

Now that Solar Wrath is only Burst 3 instead of half the battlefield, maybe minions will see more action.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases