D&D General How often do your adventurers have lengthy - months+ - preparations?

There's the barrel crab magic item that's a 2 man sub. It's not hard to make a bigger one or other magic items thst do the same thing. Hell Spelljammer had sailing ships in space.
spell jammers ships made a surprising bit of sense though tbh. And effectively were actually lower tech than subs. Also the astral sea's default state as an environ is nonlethal. I truly see no problem there. Also this is partially because its not really "space"

There's the barrel crab magic item that's a 2 man sub. It's not hard to make a bigger one or other magic items thst do the same thing. Hell Spelljammer had sailing ships in space.
Unless you are talking about the void areas between major systems. Those locations are just as lethal as being deep under water. Definitely.

Then again i never really said i thought spelljammer's planar travel excelled at internal realism. And i really dont think it does. Actually i find it extremely failing in that area and i never brought it up. Really cool campaign memories from that period of time though.

Quartz

Hero
I think you're getting fixated on the specific example I gave. I might have specified the Positive Material Plane or a jungle or anywhere.

Or even just preparations for a long journey. Or maybe it's an astronlmical / astrological event.

neogod22

Explorer
Or even just preparations for a long journey. Or maybe it's an astronlmical / astrological event.
If you're not being specific, then like I said in my original statement, never because those preparations are pointless. The spell is by far better than those magic items, especially better than the potion which only lasts an hour.

neogod22

Explorer
spell jammers ships made a surprising bit of sense though tbh. And effectively were actually lower tech than subs. Also the astral sea's default state as an environ is nonlethal. I truly see no problem there. Also this is partially because its not really "space"
No, the Spelljammer setting took place in the Prime Material Plane. There wasn't any Astral travel. The only travel between planes are the brief instances when they open a portal to the positive plane to enter or leave a crystal sphere. Which is pretty crazy, but still off topic.

No, the Spelljammer setting took place in the Prime Material Plane. There wasn't any Astral travel. The only travel between planes are the brief instances when they open a portal to the positive plane to enter or leave a crystal sphere. Which is pretty crazy, but still off topic.
I always thought of the voids between as a related thing conseptually (cause there is like a ton of empty space between technically u just travel it at high speeds) and thought that later content was elaborating. This explains a lot actually.

Thankyou for the correction.

Inter edition conceptualizing and figuring out what became what else versus what waa actually just replaced whole cloth is sometimes a confusing thinking topic. Especially if its been a while.

Sometimes thingd become other things. Some times its just coincedental faint resemblance.

If you're not being specific, then like I said in my original statement, never because those preparations are pointless. The spell is by far better than those magic items, especially better than the potion which only lasts an hour.
Actually i never thought the spell was the worst option. I actually thought it was the second best one. Like i said potions in this scenario are a bit better than scrolls but the reasom i chose to compare the rings to potions instead of spells was the comparability of a lot of potential problems. Not because i thought potions were a better option than spells.

Remove ads