Votes: 52 86.7%
  • Old Wizards

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Poll closed .

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Younger side. I don’t view wizardry in a way that really works for me to have old level 1 wizards as the norm.

Besides, plucky nerd kid with a big book little sense of the world is good fun.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’ve played as the young apprentice just setting out in the world (adolesent) and the old grizzled Wizard.

Most of my adult characters have ‘real’ jobs (Archaeologist, Circus Ringmaster, Soldier, Diplomat, Merchant, Farmer, Explorer) and are multiclass - they might use magic but arent outright wizards (so maybe the Harry Dresden model)

my longest surviving character Orbril was both (although he is more Alchemist than spellcaster) he started life being sent to study with a human Wizard (his first adventure) and in his adult years ran a Circus, bred giant hamsters, explored the multiverse and taught at a University (as that worlds leading geologist) before retiring to perve on pixies in the Fae Lands.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In Basic and AD&D wizard could get old really fast once they learned the haste spell.
Only if the wizard kept casting it on self. Usually IME the wizard inflicts it on someone else in the party - quite literally short-term gain for long-term...well, less of.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
What do you mean "should be"?

Like, what age should products present them in art? What age should we play them? What?

Broadly
In products - I hope products present wizards of a variety of adult ages, races, genders, body types, and so on. Diversity in presentation is a good thing, not just in wizards, but across character types.

I'm okay if products stick to depiction of adults. They probably ought to put some thought into how they approach children in deadly situations.

In play - whatever's good for your table is fine.
If you had your druthers, what would best "feel right" to you, basically. Like, myself, I never cared for the trope that one needs to be an old geezer to cast arcane spells, although obviously, you might end up an old wizard given enough time.

jgsugden

Legend
In my setting, a typical humanoid trying to learn class levels has to spend years studying to achieve any real success. 60 years of effort for a capably intelligent person would allow them to get to 5th level. An elf or dwarf that lives for hundreds of years might reach 7th or even 9th level. However, there are atypical people that are touched by the Gods and advance much faster - like PCs - allowing them to go from novice to archmage in the span of a few years - or even just months. Those folks can be very young and very powerful ... but they're rare (although all PCs are God-touched).

As a player in other games, when I play a wizard, I default to them being my age (either directly if human, or the equivalent for other races). However, if I have a story in mind, I tell the story and pick the right age for the story. To that end, they can be almost any age.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In my setting, a typical humanoid trying to learn class levels has to spend years studying to achieve any real success. 60 years of effort for a capably intelligent person would allow them to get to 5th level. An elf or dwarf that lives for hundreds of years might reach 7th or even 9th level. However, there are atypical people that are touched by the Gods and advance much faster - like PCs - allowing them to go from novice to archmage in the span of a few years - or even just months.
I don't use the god-touched rationale but I do have roughly the same idea as you around stay-at-home level-gaining, for any class. It's slow but sure, and given enough time and dedication you could get quite good at a class.

Adventuring is just the very risky fast-track method; and while anyone can try it, few succeed. Most die in the attempt.

Celebrim

Legend
In my homebrew, a wizard normally begins their studies at age 8, learning dance, reading, ancient languages, calligraphy, cooking, sleight of hand, to play musical instruments and various other preparations for the act of spell casting. Typically, the child will also do simple chores and menial labor for the wizard. Barring the rare prodigy, they will learn their first spell at between age 11 and 14, depending on the temperament of the master and how willing he is to put up with the hijinks and foolishness that comes with mastering one's first simple spells. Female students generally master their first spell about a year before male students, though by age 18 any gaps in ability have generally closed. Serious magic, of the sort more dangerous to the caster than a cantrip, is generally not attempted before age 16. By tradition, the apprentice stays with the master for 8 more years, leaving at age 24, however this long period of training has a prerequisite that the master and student get along - which is by no means assured. Some apprenticeships end as early as 18, with the apprentice left to fend for themselves with only the most meager possessions and skills. Others from more prestigious wizards who are perhaps have more opportunity to be selective about their apprentices go the full eight, at which time the master traditionally presents the student with a simple but useful magic ring as a token of his esteem and as a reward for their hard labor. These rings may be of new manufacture if the master knows the art but are quite often handed down from master to apprentice over generations if the apprentice is especially favored.

PC's are generally considered to be newly released apprentices, usually but not always ones that have not finished their full term of service for whatever reason - death of master, departed on bad terms, wanderlust, etc. As such it would be typical for a human PC wizard to be somewhere between 18 and 24. Note that this trope is partly to ensure the PC's don't have a patron and partly because a character that spent 8 years in study might well be 2nd level, but I wouldn't be hard and fast about it if the player wanted a particular backstory.

A typical master is 4th to 6th level, and in a human typically above age 65. Hedge Mages tend to be on the lower end of that scale, but they often take their own children as apprentices and so are typically not as elderly. Octogenarians of poor health and prestigious power (7th or 8th level!) are something of a trope, as it gives the ability to put a fairly high-level character into the setting without the expectation they'll be delving into a dungeon.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Much like Celebrim, I generally feel most wizards starting out as adventurers are at least 20 or so - anime be damned, there are no twelve-year-old wizard prodigies running around tossing fireballs at orcs in my worlds, lol.
If a 1st-lvl PC isn't a newly-released apprentice, I generally ask them to account for what they've been doing before adventuring and may or may not start them off with an additional cantrip or first-level spell they've picked up in that time.

Celebrim

Legend
Much like Celebrim, I generally feel most wizards starting out as adventurers are at least 20 or so - anime be damned, there are no twelve-year-old wizard prodigies running around tossing fireballs at orcs in my worlds, lol.

I mean, there could be in my game, but any time some player wants to play a kid in my world I give them a run down on the rules for playing a juvenile and it generally squashes the interest because you'll just be so inferior to an adult in almost every respect and they realize that the average campaign rarely covers more than a year of game time so they'll not get a chance to grow up so they'll just stay inferior, and that tends to end that.

Problems develop in some systems treat being young as a disadvantage that comes with it more 'points' to spend on other things, and then like most point buy systems, that trade off isn't balanced well. Or if you treat just being young as pure color. But if you treat being young as just a straight up disadvantage, you don't have that problem. And it saves me from potential cringe.

To be fair, the 12-year-old version of a PC might well be capable compared to average NPCs, but he or she is just going to suck compared to the 18-year-old version of the same PC. It is possible to run into adolescents that are 2nd or 3rd level because their station in life has meant they've been training intensely since they could walk, and I suppose it's possible that a 12-year-old spell-casting prodigy could cast a fireball if they for some reason found themselves fighting for their lives (maybe they are a sorcerer and people keep trying to kill them) and had to "grow up fast", but the point is players don't want to play that character and even the most gifted 12 year old is a bit subpar contesting with adults.

Remove ads