• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to buy-off +2 LA?

Ragmon

Explorer
Hi guys. (I'm not sure if this is a double post or not).

So, my character is a Karsite (ToM), with +2 LA.

How would I go about buying-off the 2 level adjustments? I read the rules for this, but I just don't understand it.

The character is at ECL 9 (39043 XP).

Thanks in a advance.

ephemeron

Explorer
You mean these rules?

You'd effectively sacrifice 8000 XP (reducing your XP total) to reduce the LA to +1, turning him into an ECL 8 character with 31043 XP, then another 7000 to get rid of the last point of LA, leaving him ECL 7 with 24043 XP.

Then advancement will happen normally from there -- hitting level 8 at 28000 XP and so forth.

nogray

Adventurer
I'm going off memory, being away from my books at the moment, but here goes:

At class level 6 (3*LA, ECL 8), you can buy off your first LA. You do this by paying 7000 XP, which should reduce your ECL to somewhere in the level 7 region. You can repeat this at level 9 (ECL 10), paying another 9000 XP. There is no guidance as to what to do in your case, where you have missed the first opportunity. Were I DM, I would happily let you retcon the character's advancement, but I could see someone ruling you had to buy it off at your current level (costing you 8000 XP) and three levels later (costing 10000 XP at level 10/ECL 11).

----------------------------------------------

Note that @ephemeron is close to correct, but there is a mandatory 3-level waiting period between buying off LAs.

Last edited:

Remove ads