• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How to deal with Metagaming as a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
FrogReaver….My issue as a player is: Who are you to say what my character knows or doesn't know? Maybe I've been to this area before. Maybe I met a man that told me about trolls and fire..
Dm. Because you told me your background was a hermit raised by your granny in the backwoods of Alabama and the only monster you heard of were the evil red elephant and sissy orange and blue tiger. And you hunted giant bull frogs for dinner until the evil red elephant ran over your grandma on Christmas day 2016. And today is now Valentines day 2017 and the only bar you been in has been the Yawning porthole.
Dm. So give me an investigation with check DC 10.
Frog reaver, “ 9”
DM, “ok just roll at disadvantage for the rest of the combat.”
Now if your pc is fifth level and had some off days partying and sleeping in towns I will lower the dc which may still mean you were not paying attention.
DM, “ investigation dc 2”
Frogreaver “1 with -1 stat = 0”
Dm, “ you are confused. You have gotten troll and toll mixed up. You are reaching for a gold piece when this ugly guy swings at you.”

In other editions I did have monster knowledge checks and you could research monsters. I do like 5E where monster knowledge can be reduce to a DC x roll. That way when Total Recall Arnold starts quoting Volo’s monster manual, I can just call for a roll and then allow Arnold to continue.

Here's how it would go for me:

FrogReaver: Who are you to say what my character knows or doesn't know?
DM: You're right, sorry. Carry on.

Haha, just kidding. [MENTION=6795602]FrogReaver[/MENTION] would never have to tell me that at my game. It would never go there in the first place.

Surely you're not saying that the game can't evolve because of player choices? That an NPC that was going to deliver some bland filler text might now deliver a clue to some new interesting development because of some idea that's come into the players heads? For example in my campaign I've developed a whole new spy in the council because the players have imagined there's one there. An NPC will have evidence leading to the spy. This has happened because I as DM listened to the players discussing their theories about what's really going on.

Isn't that what's supposed to happen on the DMs side? I.e the DM is always metagaming.

I think what he meant was, it can be unfair to the players if the DM has the villain prepare for something that the players discussed in private, and he couldn't possibly know about. It is important for the DM to stay fair in that regard. So he should at least send a spy, or use a spell to spy on the players to learn this information. There should be some justification regarding how the villain learned of the plans of the players.

Some would consider this example a case of the DM metagaming, instead of the players.

But another way to look at it, would be that the players usually expect a certain kind of logic regarding how the fictional world behaves. And the DM cheating in this way, could ruin their fun.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
There's a rather large difference between...

Players: "Gotlost went missing in this area and hasn't returned. We want to know if you've seen him?" - Not metagaming.

And...

Players: "Gotlost came here last night and fell through your trap door. We know you have him, so give him back to us or else." - Playing in bad faith
Fixed it for you (in bold).

G

Guest 6801328

That's not very helpful to a discussion.

Nor are Max's repeated provocations.

So, the same argument could be made about acting. There can never be any acting (traditional, method, whatever) because the person playing the role has information the character doesn't, and, quite frankly, isn't that character. And if we accepted that argument, we would never be graced by the oeuvre of Nicolas Cage.

I'm not following this argument at all. Unless you are saying that roleplaying is merely acting.

But more importantly, turn this around to the DM. The DM knows everything the players are doing, because he is *there at the table*. He knows the whole world, because *he is running it.* Yet it would be palpably ... jerky? Unfair? Wrong? .... for the DM to use information that an NPC should not have. This is so obvious that it goes without saying. Of course, we all recognize that even the best DMs cannot do this perfectly, but the point is that they strive for it. Because it makes the game better.

I completely disagree. The DM should absolutely use any information that will make the story more fun. Now, it might be weird if the NPC says something that indicates knowledge he shouldn't have. But that doesn't mean that DM shouldn't have the NPC do something interesting, based on information the DM has about the character. To accuse the DM of metagaming "because you only did that because you know about my character!" is silly. Have faith that the DM is trying to make the story better, and assume that the NPC has a good reason for doing it!

In an AL game last year I was on my Paladin with Sentinel, and used my movement after my attack to move next to undead that was one hit away from dropping our rogue.

(Yes, I was TOTALLY metagaming: I knew the ghast's turn came before mine, and when he attacked the rogue he would trigger my Sentinel and I'd get a free shot, and I'd use my last Smite which would do crazy damage to the undead. But maybe this is the sort of metagaming you can justify: my character knows that he's really good at reacting to people attacking his friends, and that the ghast is just about to attack, and that he can call on divine power to smite undead, etc. etc. etc. But I was still metagaming.)

In any event, the DM, knowing this, had the ghast attack me instead. The DM was clearly metagaming, and he did it to make the bit combat scene more tense. (Which it did.) But that doesn't mean there aren't reasons the ghast wouldn't change targets from the squishy, almost-dead rogue to the heavily armored, full-health paladin. He had a reason at the time but honestly I forget what it was. Attack the greatest threat? Sure. Lingering resentment against paladins due to an RPG addiction from his former life? Whatever. I don't really care. It's plausible the ghast had a reason, and that's all that matters. I trust him to be making decisions that he thinks will lead to greater entertainment. Even if we had TPK'd as a result (it was close) he was doing it not to be a douchenozzle but because in his judgment it would be the most exciting turn of events.

If you don't trust your DM and your players to be making decisions on that basis, why are you playing with them?

(In fact, imagine the DM did say something like, "Turns out the ghast's mother was a paladin and he has serious mommy issues". Yes, that's metagaming because my character would have no way of knowing that. But it would have made the whole scene even more entertaining.)

Corwin

Explorer
You often employ the reductio ad absurdum, or (as you put it) "facetious" argument. Your argument, essentially, is that since we (players) have knowledge that our characters do not have, either acting on it or not acting on it is metagaming, and since it's all metagaming no matter what, why bother caring? And so (using your preferred form) I pointed out that in a similar fashion, one might say that actors shouldn't act, because after all, they cannot help but be informed by information that their character does not have, either acting or not acting on it.
Speaking of fallacies, and I admit upfront I'm no fallacy identification expert, but isn't what you just did a kind of false dichotomy?

Caliburn101

Explorer
I had a very similar situation come up in my Call of Cthulhu campaign. Two players go up to the bedroom of the cultist priest, where he has his wife tied to the bed. One of the players ran the campaign with me before, and so he knows what is about to happen, -but he doesn´t say a word. Then as they free poor Angela, it turns out she is a vicious hungry ghoul, and all hell breaks loose.

Isn´t him pretending to not know anything about Angela being a ghoul a form of metagaming as well? In fact, the reason he joined the other player for this mission, was probably because he didn´t get to do it the previous time we ran this campaign. For the record, I was perfectly fine with this.

If you start off like that right out of the gate, then I think you miss the point a lot of us have been trying to make, and thats a shame. I think there's a lot to be learned from this thread, and I think you're missing out on that information.

There is no rule that forces the players to rely 100% on only the knowledge that their character has, and nothing else, unless that is a rule you agree on with your group. And I disagree completely that using your wits and/or knowledge as a player is not playing your character.

No offense, but I think this is the sort of arrogance that Iserith was referring to earlier. This stance that there are those who are experienced, and those that metagame. And thats simply not true.

You make the incorrect assumption that the only reason one might metagame, is to cheat. The truth of the matter is, it might not be the players that are metagaming. It might be the DM who is pointing his finger at his players, and deciding for them what their character does or does not know. Thats the problem I see here.

I always find your post interesting Immaculata, but you've got the wrong end of the wrong stick I on this one I feel and you have been uncharacteristically heavy handed about it - but to answer each point in turn;

I haven't missed any points, valid or otherwise - stating that a bunch of them are smoke and mirrors arguments doesn't mean I don't understand anything. Quite the opposite I would say.

"There is no rule..." is a commonly used preface to excuses as to why it's ok to break Wheaton's Law. It is entirely axiomatic that a character is played knowing only what they know, and if player knowledge is something that the player wants the character to have, they need GM agreement - whether through a roll against an appropriate skill or a narrative vehicle for where the character might feasibly have picked it up. One does not assume that one's character knows about fire and trolls regeneration, that has to come in-game, or if 'general knowledge' in the gameworld - stated by the GM in advance, or, more usually, agreed after the out-of-character question is asked by the player to the GM. Metagaming here would be proceeding without that agreement. Using you wits as a player is fine, but using your personal knowledge is ridiculous - otherwise we could all legitimately have our characters know the weakness of every monster that exists and how to invent gunpowder right off the bat. Does that sound stupid - sure it does - but there isn't an 'ok' amount of metagaming, and even if you thought there was, where could you draw the line fairly? The whole idea of there being some amount of metagaming that works, but beyond which is 'too much' falls down if taken to it's logical conclusion.

There is no arrogance in being self-assured, and I do not in fact state what you have claimed. I said if you CANNOT play without metagaming then you need help, and if you CHOOSE to do so, then you are everything else I said. Both new players and experienced ones can claim not to be able to help it but metagame, and I've seen both new and experienced players choose to do so. I never claimed there was the neat split you stated, nor would I.

Lastly - I made no such assumption - I quite clearly said sometimes people metagame by accident. It's when this continues and is clearly not a mistake but a habit that it's a problem. I don't understand the point about the GM's role... The GM knows the world, the characters and their backgrounds, he/she is the arbiter of what is within bounds on a range of issues, both rules-wise and campaign-wise. How the GM ISN'T the person who decides what a character can reasonably know is beyond me - if it isn't them, are you really suggesting it is the player and the GM has no say in it... how would THAT work in practice? You haven't thought that one through...

Characters are a group of stats and background narratives, bonds, flaws, ideals, alignment, abilities, skills etc. If a player rolls against a knowledge based skill it's the GM who decides based on the roll how much information the player gets as their character's knowledge. It is the GM who decides how much the characters know about trollslaying, vampire hunting or Thay politics BEFORE they encounter it in-game, unless it was in their background. For the player to assume they know all the powers of a Mind Flayer, or which spell is most effective against the saves of a Demon when their character had no way of knowing it beforehand is flat out metagame cheating. The way to get that knowledge legitimately in-game is to research, talk to the right NPCs or for the character to find out themselves, not to be 'given' the edge they need out of nowhere by the player and forcing the GM to intercede or accept it, and letting the challenge in the game turn into a faceroll.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
No.

It was an analogy. A false dichotomy (sometimes referred to as a false dilemma) presents only two options, classically, '"If you're not with us, you're against us."

I neither presented a dichotomy, nor do I subscribe to the Manichean view offered.
So, like, "they cannot help but be informed by information that their character does not have" doesn't imply that information is either that possessed by the player *or* the character? Why can't a piece of information be known by both and acted on accordingly? Your analogy left me with the impression this is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads