D&D 5E How to deal with Metagaming as a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corwin

Explorer
... a great theory you have there, but after over three decades of playing and primarily GM'ing with a whole lot of people I can count on one hand the number of times I've felt the need to pull someone up on metagaming.
I've played with literally hundreds of people, also over the three plus decades playing and DMing. And unfortunately, encountered many players like you who seek to actively police the thoughts of the rest of the table. Heck, I was once like you. But it got old after awhile and realized it wasn't worth the stress and effort. I eventually discovered more entertaining ways to expend my gaming energies. And I prefer the way I do it now. But that's not me casting judgement on your preferred playstyle. More power to you if your table prefers it your way. Honestly.

This debate is a storm in a teacup and a mountain made from a molehill really - it just isn't the prevalent issue assumed here.
Fascinating. So why have you chosen to spend so much time and effort here railing against it like its the next mankind-threatening plague?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Well, sooner or later most normal adventuring parties are going to meet skeletons, and trolls, and werewolves, and all sorts of other creatures that have specific weaknesses. Part of the challenge-mitigation is that weakness, which means in theory these creatures *should* be more of a challenge when met for the first time.
Lanefan

But met for the first time by whom?

This discussion has come up many times, and I admit that in the distant past I felt much the same way. But I will ask my question again:

In a world where civilization has fought back trolls, skeletons and werewolves, for thousands of years (or in the case of the Forgotten Realms, tens of thousands of years), is there any person on the planet that would not know trolls are vulnerable to fire and lycanthropes vulnerable to silver? Descriptions of most towns have silvered arrows in their armory for just such a purpose, for example.

Having said that, D&D is a role-playing game. While many people equate role-playing to acting, it's really simply making decisions and taking actions in character. Instead of reacting to this situation as I would, how would this character react?

For most things, we have rules that help set limitations. The wizard doesn't know how to use a great sword. He can pick one up and swing it around, but if he tries to attack with it, he's at a bit of a disadvantage. Knowledge, though, is trickier. How do we know what a given character knows or doesn't know?

We have to metagame it. Yes - deciding that they don't know how to kill a troll is as much metagaming as deciding that they do. The reality is, for an individual player, however they want to determine what their character does or doesn't know is almost entirely up to them. 99% of the game that's what a player is doing. The problem arises only when somebody else (the DM or another player) decides that they don't like the decision that another player has made.

The real problem then, is not metagaming. We have no choice but to metagame. The problem is identifying the limits of character knowledge, and how that is acted upon in the game.

For many people there is no problem - they character knows what I know. Of course, there are times the character knows something you don't know, and we have ability checks to help with those circumstances. The reality is, the game has rules for that as well. It's the DC of the information at hand. I think that knowing a troll is vulnerable to fire is (very) common knowledge. If it's common, then pretty much nobody has to make an ability check to know it. The DC is that low.

But I think every player, whether they acknowledge it or not, restricts the knowledge of the character. That is, they role-play that the character doesn't know something that they as a player does. You might know calculus, or the recipe for gunpowder, or perhaps you're a surgeon, but I think it's rare for any player to suggest that these are things that their character also knows.

And while it may not be obvious in the discussion, the real question is where that threshold is, and how it's handled by the player/group.

My groups tend to self-limit, often to more of an extreme that I think. So they might ask me if their character would know something in particular. In most cases I think the answer is yes, but occasionally not. If no, then how do you (as a table) expect that to play out? Some people enjoy the challenge, other don't. Those that don't like the challenge tend to have a higher threshold for what a player might know that a character doesn't.

I, as a DM, prefer to approach it largely from a different direction. I encourage my players to know the rules, and also to read the Forgotten Realms releases, whether it be novels, sourcebooks, whatever. Why? Because my goal at this stage is better immersion. Make the world feel like a real place. The more common knowledge that the players share about the world and its inhabitants, the more real the world feels. The published material is the backdrop for our campaigns. I do make a lot of changes, including to monster abilities and such. Although it's not so much so they won't know, as it is that I just see the monster differently than published.

We even go so far as to make it a general rule that when the party is split up, that all of the players remain at the table and listen to the encounters under the assumption that the characters would tell the rest of the party what happened and it saves us time. Plus, if there are clues that occur, having them relay what happened to the rest of the party is rarely sufficient. If there is something that needs to be secret (for a time), then I'll take the relevant people aside, or use a note, or some other way to actually keep it a secret from the other players.

Back to this quote, if the challenge of a "secret" weakness is only a challenge for the first encounter with such a creature? Then what's the point? I don't worry about trolls susceptibility to fire as a plot or challenge point in the course of the game from a knowledge standpoint. It's a challenge from a resource or tactic standpoint. Just like when Jon Snow arrives at the wall, he doesn't have to discover that you should burn the dead. But it has an impact - in part because even though he knows that, there are times when they can't do that for one reason or another. Knowing what will happen actually makes it worse.

I approach it from the opposite perspective. If everybody knows trolls are vulnerable to fire, why hasn't the militia or guard been able to root out all the trolls and burn them? Could be for a variety of reasons, but here's one suggestion. Trolls live in swamps. Why? Because the fire isn't effective against them there. Sure, it might slow, or even prevent some of their regeneration, but you can't burn the whole troll in the swamp. Maybe it just doesn't work against a wet troll without at least 2 rounds of continuous application. Even better, let's say you sliced off the arm of a troll with a flaming sword. If the entire troll needs to be burned, then all you've done is prevented the troll from regrowing that arm. Oh, and the arm that dropped into the swamp can't regrow another troll. But that arm, now hidden beneath the brackish waters, isn't dead either. Suddenly you find yourself being tripped by a troll arm, and being drowned at the same time you're being attacked by the troll itself.

The point is, you start with the idea that everybody already knows a given creature's weakness, but circumstances have created a scenario where you can't take advantage of that weakness. That makes for an interesting encounter. Because instead of the players trying to determine when and how the characters would figure it out, it creates a problem for the players to figure out.

I think most of us would agree that actually figuring out a challenge is more fun than pretending that the character figured it out.

G

Guest 6801328

It ruins the enjoyment for a lot of people.

Sure, but is it reasonable to claim your enjoyment is ruined, or is it just being overly demanding and fussy? (EDIT: better phrasing would have been: "...or are you letting yourself be annoyed by what goes on in somebody else's head?")

Again, we're talking explicitly about the cases where:
1) Every player at the table knows some piece of information.
2) Some players at the table believe none of the characters would have that information.
3) One of the players decides that his character does, in fact, have the information and acts on it.

This bugs you, right?

Ok, now let us contrast it to an almost identical situation:
1) One of the players is new, and everybody knows that player doesn't have the information.
2) That new player, in a flash of inspiration, almost instantly solves the puzzle.

Are you still offended? Did the player cheat? Has anybody's fun been ruined? If not...if those two situations are different...what exactly is the difference for other people at the table?

In both cases the other players have exactly the same roleplaying opportunities. In neither case is anybody else robbed of any genuine problem-solving. So why would anybody have any grounds for grievance in the first case, other than "you roleplayed that differently than I would have"?

If the player who 'solved' the puzzle is happy, why should anybody else take offense?

Last edited by a moderator:

Caliburn101

Explorer
I've played with literally hundreds of people, also over the three plus decades playing and DMing. And unfortunately, encountered many players like you who seek to actively police the thoughts of the rest of the table. Heck, I was once like you. But it got old after awhile and realized it wasn't worth the stress and effort. I eventually discovered more entertaining ways to expend my gaming energies. And I prefer the way I do it now. But that's not me casting judgement on your preferred playstyle. More power to you if your table prefers it your way. Honestly.

Evidence if it was really needed that people in this thread can say one thing 'categorically' and then utterly contradict themselves in the next sentence whilst throwing in a personal dig for good measure.

You demonstrably don't know me on any level, and haven't made any kind of point I can divine except that I'm a member of the 'thought police'?

I suspect we weren't ever alike...

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

Fascinating. So why have you chosen to spend so much time and effort here railing against it like its the next mankind-threatening plague?

It's a really good question.

For my part I think it's kind of fascinating how different players come to different conclusions, and because it's a tangled issue it's fun to debate.

But then I also get really annoyed when, in the course of discussing it, I get accused of "cheating" or "not roleplaying" or the disingenuous: "if you just want to chain together combats and not play your character there's nothing wrong with that."

That pisses me off and I somewhat hastily lash back, and things go downhill.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I use a very simple and accessible example and you act like my entire argument is simple.

*wags finger*

The troll example is just a stand-in for any other similar use of player skill. Pick another example and my argument will be the same.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
This is where I start to break with iserith a bit. I don't think you need to objectively demonstrate the fun of trying to figure out monster vulnerabilities through trial and error.

I think you mean [MENTION=6801286]Imaculata[/MENTION]. I take people at their word if they say they like trial and error. But it's not really trial and error when you already know the answer. It's pretend trial and error.

Caliburn101

Explorer
The troll example is just a stand-in for any other similar use of player skill. Pick another example and my argument will be the same.

I used various examples, one other one illustrated in detail, and a few others off the top of my head as self-evident instances of where metagame knowledge can trivialise an encounter.

If your argument remains the same no matter what contradictory issues are raised in debate, then it isn't a debate any more, and all the poorer for that.

G

Guest 6801328

I think you mean @Imaculata. I take people at their word if they say they like trial and error. But it's not really trial and error when you already know the answer. It's pretend trial and error.

Oh, was it? Oops.

Agree 100% when it's pretend trial and error. But I think some people were arguing that real trial and error is fun. E.g., let the new player figure out how to kill trolls without giving him any hints. That's valid, imo, even if I don't really agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads