• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to do Counterspelling?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've amended it with the implement keyword, layout, and a couple of other very minor adjustments (not the big ones like the Miss and the free At-Will though).

Attachments

• counterspelling.pdf
    56.6 KB · Views: 124

Dalamar

Adventurer
Oh, it most certainly isn't bad when you can only counterspell once per encounter (or even twice per encounter with the paragon feat), it's when you can do it at-will with the epic feat that it starts becoming problematic. At best, you're making a solo with Spells spend its actions for nothing _and_ getting a free use of your at-will out of it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, it most certainly isn't bad when you can only counterspell once per encounter (or even twice per encounter with the paragon feat), it's when you can do it at-will with the epic feat that it starts becoming problematic. At best, you're making a solo with Spells spend its actions for nothing _and_ getting a free use of your at-will out of it.

That's a thought. The epic feat could negate the miss effect.

Dalamar

Adventurer
That seems like a good, reasonable solution. Makes a clear improvement in the counterspelling ability of the character, but doesn't make it a solo-stopper entirely.

Now, another thing I noticed is that you have the power noted as a Feature. As of Essentials, WotC themselves seem to be categorizing all powers as either an Attack or Utility (for example, the Mage cantrips), not sure if you want to follow their lead on that.

And since I just like it so damn much myself, might I recommend doublewumpus' power2ool for getting nicely formatted power cards? He's got a whole thread about it here
You can get power cards by hitting the print option and then just copying the pictures from the print page. I added the Counterspell as an attachment.

Attachments

• Counterspell.png
    Counterspell.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Now, another thing I noticed is that you have the power noted as a Feature. As of Essentials, WotC themselves seem to be categorizing all powers as either an Attack or Utility (for example, the Mage cantrips), not sure if you want to follow their lead on that.

I'm not worried about what WotC is doing with Essentials - I don't work for WotC. :)

This is for a new class which works differently to existing 4E classes (there's a hint in the name "Vancian Mage"); the important part is making sure it's balanced and useable, not that it resemble what WotC is doing (which defeats the point of the endeavour!)

Dalamar

Adventurer
True, but both the Essentials line and the ENPub project aim to evoke old school feel within the 4e framework, so it would be folly to ignore what they're doing.

Plus, personally I think it's just sensible that anything written as a power is either an attack or a utility. But that's just my feeling, I'm not writing the thing.

Johnnii

Explorer
Reflavoring is your friend.

If you're missed by an attack that's described as being magicky, then the player being missed by that attack is free to describe it as counterspelling the effect.

Siberys

Adventurer
1) I agree with Jonnil

2) Perhaps an immediate interrupt power that let you use an Arcana check in place of a defense would work? Add some feats to improve it or let it cover multiple targets and it could work out for all sorts of counterspelling shenanigans.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads