How to have High AC on 3.5e DnD with Limited GP?

Voadam

Legend
You can cut the penalty by going Half-Orc, though not all Warlock Invocations have saving throws. Cleric is a decent idea, but you'd have to choose your Domains carefully, since it sounded like you wanted more arcane magic. You can get at-will blasts from a Reserve Feat like Fiery Burst, a favorite of mine.

That looks like it would work great with the 9th level cleric build giving at will 5d6 5' radius fire blasts as long as one 5th level spell was an uncast flame strike.

EdenNotRaven

Explorer
Hey Guys! Thanks for helping me out.
I've talk with my DM about Orc Cleric and she said it will be bad because the penalty will hurt the wisdom.
So she suggest me still to take Rage Mage... And she said Warlock is very bad class for ORC... Because he cannot do nothing and she said he's very weak compare to what I want (Highest AC I can get and Orc who can use Magic)... But she don't know I want to play something like Gul'dan... But I still want good character that will be Natural Evil...
She said Rage Mage need to be Chaotic Evil because of the Rage...
And she said Warmage can Shield himself with magic... but I don't find any of this kind of spell...
So... What else I can play as natural evil orc that can use magic to manipulate his friends and his enemies?
But not psionic.
Also I want him to be very manipulative... the class is matter for something like this?
Still want him to be strong and can attack from far.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I'm afraid your DM is either wrong, or has house rules she hasn't made you aware of. While it's true that an Orc takes a-2 penalty to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma, you would have to deal with that with any kind of caster you play, Wizard, Warlock, Warmage, or Cleric. Orcs are not good spellcasters in D&D, unlike in Warcraft.

However, as a Cleric, you only need Wisdom equal to 10+ the level of spells you wish to cast. If you avoid spells that affect enemies (and allow saving throws), you only need a 19 Wisdom by level 17. It needn't be that high. A Wisdom of 15 lets you cast 5th level spells, which a 9th level character would be able to do.

I have to reiterate that Rage Mage isn't going to help you very much, and should be avoided.

Are you using point-buy? And why is she insisting you have to be evil? Is it because monster orcs are always evil? As for being manipulative, this would be a function of your skills, such as Bluff, which sadly, most of the classes we've discussed other than Warlock do not have as class skills.

And the Warmage does not have access to Mage Armor or Shield. They can, as I recall, eventually use regular shields, but since you wanted to use a two handed weapon, that's out of the question.

Voadam

Legend
I suggest sticking with cleric and taking the -2 wisdom. Your spells will be 1 weaker on the saving throw DC and one less bonus spell than a comparable level and stat array human's would be, but that is not crippling to a still decent 3.5 character design.

James Gasik

Supporter
Yeah especially with the large number of cleric spells that don't require saving throws anyways, like buffs, heals, and things to remove debuffs and other status conditions.

EdenNotRaven

Explorer
Ok guys! This is amazing, Cleric is all I want.
But which should alignment I should go as a ORC?
If I choose Natural Evil because this is what I think will be very fun to play for me?
If I go Cleric LV9, I can use spells until level 6,
Which spells should I take? as the best one?
Also I want to be able to summon creatures... Because I see it as very awesome.
What do you think guys?

James Gasik

Supporter
What you need to do is find out what Gods are available to you, and what Domains they allow you to take. Each Cleric can select 2 Domains, which grant special powers and let you cast non-Cleric spells. Strength and Travel may be good choices, if any deity offers both. A Cleric's alignment has to be one step away from their God, so if you play a Cleric of a Neutral God, you have to be Neutral Evil, Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, etc..

Serving an evil Cleric does net you the ability to command undead, though it won't be easy to use. But if you can manage it, free undead minions aren't bad. The other consideration is spells- Evil clerics can only convert spells they don't need into wounding magic, where Good clerics can convert spells into healing, which is more useful. Ideally, you want to be a Neutral if allowed and worship a Neutral or Good god to get healing magic, but if this is an all-evil game, I understand if that's not an option.

There's a nice list of possible Domains right here on Enworld: D&D 3E/3.5 - Cleric Domain List for D&D 3.5 (JHtB)

EdenNotRaven

Explorer
What you need to do is find out what Gods are available to you, and what Domains they allow you to take. Each Cleric can select 2 Domains, which grant special powers and let you cast non-Cleric spells. Strength and Travel may be good choices, if any deity offers both. A Cleric's alignment has to be one step away from their God, so if you play a Cleric of a Neutral God, you have to be Neutral Evil, Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, etc..

Serving an evil Cleric does net you the ability to command undead, though it won't be easy to use. But if you can manage it, free undead minions aren't bad. The other consideration is spells- Evil clerics can only convert spells they don't need into wounding magic, where Good clerics can convert spells into healing, which is more useful. Ideally, you want to be a Neutral if allowed and worship a Neutral or Good god to get healing magic, but if this is an all-evil game, I understand if that's not an option.

There's a nice list of possible Domains right here on Enworld: D&D 3E/3.5 - Cleric Domain List for D&D 3.5 (JHtB)
Hey! Cleric ORC this is really what I want to play.
With Orc Domain, Oh My God, This is really amazing!
So... If I take Cleric, I can fight like Fighter? Or like Spellcaster? How this is work?
This is amazing! you got me hyped.
Thank you for helping me find my way, James Gasik!
I don't know what I've been doin without you... Maybe take the Rage Mage and understand this is mistake.

glass

(he, him)
Ok guys! This is amazing, Cleric is all I want.
But which should alignment I should go as a ORC?
Orcs are flech and blood, mortal creatures, and as such can be of any alignment you/they want. That said....
If I choose Natural Evil because this is what I think will be very fun to play for me?
Evil alignments are not generally suitable for PCs unless they are in a campaign that is set up to handle them. Check with your GM (and probably the other players) than an NE PC is acceptable before you get too attached to the idea.
If I go Cleric LV9, I can use spells until level 6,
Ninth-level clerics get fifth-level spells, not sixth.
Which spells should I take? as the best one?
Clerics knew their entire list, so the only restrictions they have are which spells they have prepared on any given day. Which they can change each day if they do not like the previous days loadout.

ETA:
So... If I take Cleric, I can fight like Fighter? Or like Spellcaster? How this is work?
By ninth level, you should be able to reliably self-buff (and quickly). Assuming you put a decent score into Strength (and once buffed), you will be able to fight just as well as most Fighters, and still have (most of your) spellcasting to fall back.

_
glass.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases