How to Make a Fantasy Sandbox vs. Sandbox Generator

Reynard

Legend
Does anyone have experience with each of these books? How do they compare? Are they generic or do they tend to create specific setting types?

Sadly, I do not. My impression based on the previews suggests that both do what's on the tin. "How to" feels less professional and more "see what i did!" while "Generator" feels pretty dry, but functional for its purpose. Again, this is just based on the previews, so I could be off.

Are you looking for a set of tools to generate a sandbox, having done it before, or are you trying it for the first time (which seems unlikely but I figured I would ask, for clarity).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I haven't done a structured sandbox setting like this in years, decades, really. My main campaign has been more of a "theater of the mind" equivalent, with things just created and arranged narratively.

For my Shadowdark game, I'd like to create something with hexes and structures and I'd like to use whatever the best tool available is for that.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I haven't done a structured sandbox setting like this in years, decades, really. My main campaign has been more of a "theater of the mind" equivalent, with things just created and arranged narratively.

For my Shadowdark game, I'd like to create something with hexes and structures and I'd like to use whatever the best tool available is for that.
Might I suggest what I think is the best tool for the job?

There’s also an art-free version that’s free to download.

If you need a continent-level map generator, I’d suggest Azgaar’s.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Useful link / resources dump. Hope they help.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Might I suggest what I think is the best tool for the job?

There’s also an art-free version that’s free to download.
I was also going to suggest WWN with the caveat that the tools don’t fill out every hex on the map. The generated points of interest (with tags, etc) will occur less frequently than that. Here’s a post by Kevin Crawford on reddit about using the generators.

Edit: I accidentally replaced my post in an edit instead of making a new one, but I think I restored the gist of it.

Last edited:

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I also want to add that WWN’s process relies on you to do a lot of decision-making. There are generators for your civilizations, but you’ll still be doing most of the map design yourself. I went through the process and have been using the map in my current campaign (running my homebrew system). I posted a copy of the map in the WWN thread here in post #27. Posts #12 and #16 have some of my thoughts on using the procedure.

stormwriter

Explorer
One of the books mentioned by OP is actually these blog posts reformatted with art in a book form. The blog author did a Kickstarter for it last year. It’s a very good resource.

Remove ads