• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to make a mage duel interesting?

Quickleaf

Legend
I've run four wizard duels.

First was in a D&D 2e Planescape campaign between a PC and her nemesis - there were no kit gloves. The PC ambushed the caravan which her nemesis was leading with the intent to steal an artifact and kill the nemesis. The PC cast one round of protective magic on herself (a shield spell) and then teleported awar with the nemesis to a mountaintop. Their battle became aerial after they fell off a cliff, casting fly spells. The nemesis raced back to stop the other PCs raiding the caravan as the PC harried her with spells. Ultimately, the PCs got the artifact but the wizard PC was mentally dominated by her nemesis - leading to a great rescue scene.

Second was a subtle duel in a homebrew fantasy RPG, where a young wizard apprentice PC had escaped the Tower-City of Mages after witnessing bad mojo and now sought sanctuary in a nearby port city. A vastly more capable mage was sent to bring him back. After the PC escaped capture and gained the aid of the city's nobility, the mage agent sent to retrieve him unleashed a disease upon the city, telling the PC he could stop the suffering if he turned himself in. It was a "wizard's duel" without any of the fireworks (mainly because the PC didn't stand a chance), but it involved a compelling moral dilemma, lots of suspense, and creative use of magic.

Third was a really fun "shapeshifter's duel" straight out of the Arabian Nights.

Fourth was a True20 Caliphate Nights game on-line between 3 sorcerers: The PC was a djinni summoner, one NPC was a hex-caster who was turned into a raven, the other NPC was a voodoo practitioner. Lots of fun.

Asmor

First Post
Contrarian said:
I've used serve-and-return rules, like tennis, for mage duels in games. The mage challenged to the duel decides who must cast a spell first. The other mage counterspells or cast his own spell. After that, they alternate "serving" each round.

I think that's an interesting idea.

Here's what I'd do... I'd rethink a mage duel. Instead of a contest of raw arcane power, it's a contest of control and wits. This is specifically meant for a contest using evocation spells. The mages do not attack eachother, but a stationary target (which always fails reflex saves and such).

Take alternate rounds where each wizard has priority. During each round, each player specifically writes what they want to do that round (which spell to cast or to attempt a counter). Actions are revealed and resolved simultaneously.

If one player casts and one counters, resolve as normal. If the counter fails and the spell is successful, the caster gains one point. Otherwise, neither gain a point.

If both players counter, the result is a standoff and the player with priority gets a point.

If both players cast, whoever casts the LEAST powerful spell gets a point. Least powerful is determined by spell level, and then by damage dealt.

The duel continues until one mage gets a specified number of points.

The nice thing about this system is that it allows for a nice mental game. I think it's best for the player without priority to cast rather than counter, and better for the one with priority to counter rather than cast. Thus, the one without priority should probably try to cast a more powerful, obscure spell, making it harder to counter. On the other hand, the other player could go and use magic missile and beat them. It's almost like paper-rock-scissors. Level 1 spell beats level 9 spell beats counterspell beats level 1 spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads