D&D General How To Reconcile the Settings

Back in the days, we played the box set of the Immortals. We were literally playing gods. Gerion an evil enthropic immortal often came to the players and said: "I have plans for such and such thing/region. I am spending that much power in my endeavor. How much will you spend my friends? Then the players would decide how much power and it often ended with us playing three different adventures to determine the outcome. Often, one would be with low level, the second with mid level and the last would be with high level characters (we were playing both D&D and AD&D). If one adventure was a failure then Gerion would have won and they would have lost the amount of power they had invested. If they succeeded, they would share between themselves the power points won from Gerion.

This showed us and made us understood why gods were not always interfering in mortals affairs. They need to conserve their powers (immortal power points) to be ready for challenges from other immortal. The more you invest in one endeavor, the less power you have for another one. Better to work through mortal agents than to risk loosing everything you hold important. Was it perfect no, but the point is, some players were literally using their power to create heroes from the start. One made one race of elves appear from another world 10,000 years before the chosen time for the adventure so that the heroes would have a place to recover between the two adventures! (he was a time immortal)

The gods can do just about anything. Evil gods included. Nerull is insulted because the sacrifices to him are down in numbers? Why not bring a few (or a horde) of undead from the negative/shadow plane to show these pesky mortals to rightly fear him and his wrath? Gruumsh is unhappy how the local elves are dealing with his orcs? Why not summon a few more from another world? How about a dragon or an hydra to teach them a lesson?

In a magical world, a lot can happen. A few more races than logic might indicate is not such a stretch of the imagination.

Remove ads