• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to Store Boxed Sets?

tetsujin28

First Post
You do not want to store anything paper in plastic bags! Plastic "degasses", as the polymers that hold the plastic together disintegrate over time.

Your best bet is to put the contents into separate, acid-free envelopes, and to store the boxes in acid-free comic-book boxes, which come in sizes that are more than wide enough to accomodate the boxes.

The Northeast Document Conservation Center (http://www.nedcc.org/welcome/glos.htm#) has a good list of pamphlets, many of which are available online. A good one is Storing Methods and Handling Practices: http://www.nedcc.org/plam3/tleaf41.htm

Last edited:

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
caudor said:
I have numerous boxed sets. I stand them on their ends neatly on a bookshelf (actually several shelves). I've never had a problem with wear or damage sitting in that position.

That's what I do too. But then, even the books I actually use every game session don't get beat up. I've never really understand how some folks manage to be so hard on their belongings.

caudor said:
I have numerous boxed sets. I stand them on their ends neatly on a bookshelf (actually several shelves). I've never had a problem with wear or damage sitting in that position.

This is how I store my boxed sets. No problems this way.
Whatever you do, DON'T stack them on top of each other, I've got a shelf full of boxed sets from long ago that are completely crushed from stacking them that way.

frankthedm

First Post
Place your rare hard cover books inside of the box sets to 'fill' them out, far more durable than hollow cardstock. Plus this saves room too.

tetsujin28

First Post
And to be honest, I haven't noticed any significant aging in any of my rpg books, several of which are on the order of 30 years old. Gaming products tend to be produced on reasonably high-quality paper (much better than, say, comic books or regular paperback books), and so aren't as susceptible to the vicissitudes of time -- the only one I ever had any trouble with was my first edition of Chivalry and Sorcery, but that had fallen completely apart within a year of buying it ;)

The real thing that will cause wear and tear on box sets is carrying them in your backpack. Otherwise, just storing them upright on a shelf should be more than sufficicient for them to last another few decades.

woodelf

First Post
I store them on edge/end, just like a book, with their contents still in them. With the exception of ones that were already beat up before i got them, and one box set that travelled around in my backpack for a campaign, they're in basically the same condition as when i got them. Other than putting them on edge, the only other trick is to keep them exactly vertical--use a bookend to prevent them from leaning, which is a quick way to break them.

Tetsubo

First Post
I have 86 boxed sets in my office (there might be others in the apartment) and all of them are vertical on a bookshelf. One entire shelf is nothing but boxed sets. It's a good use of one of those "open" style Craftsman bookshelves. They have been stored this way for years without any problems. You might want to make sure they are not in direct sunlight though, it can fade the colors.

werk

First Post
Buttercup said:
...I've never really understand how some folks manage to be so hard on their belongings.

Backpacks. All of my old materials were pretty much destroyed with all corners pushed in and boxes crushed. I no longer have need to stuff everything in a backpack and run to a friend's house, so I don't have this problem any more.

p.s. I never put anything in plastic...except Laura.

CarlZog

Explorer
I just line 'em up like books. (They weren't called bookcase games for nothing!)

Mine are on a bookcase, where I can get to them.

All my AH and SPI and later TSR boxes have done fine this way. But on TSR boxes from the 70s, the sides of the boxtops have warped out. It was lighter weight cardboard, and I think they just can't support their own weight when standing vertically -- especially if the contents are still in the box. But they still do their job, gathering and holding the games' parts.

Carl

Disclaimer: I'm not a collector, just a player. Everything I own is well cared for, but extensively used. My storage methods are designed to enhance access and encourage play -- not preserve untouchable artifacts. Your goals may vary.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads