How to trap a Spectre

Mistah J

First Post
Hey all,

The party is about to come across a spectre and some of its spectre spawn in our next session. The issue is, they have no means of fighting incorporeal creatures.

Now, they don't know it is a spectre yet - part of the adventure is finding that out so once they do, they may retreat and try and find or purchase some means to specifically counter the creature's defences.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see them retreat from the 1st encounter and return with a means in which to bind or otherwise trap the undead. The thing is using its old tomb as a lair so there will already be a perfect place - I just need to come up with a way the party can keep it there.

The party is small - a monk, a sorcerer, and a rogue. They have friendly NPCs all over the place they can contact - one of them is a cleric who would be willing to join the fray if they asked and it's all taking place inside a large city so finding equipment shouldn't be too hard either.

What kinds of things are available for trapping undead? I could always make up some kind of binding ritual but I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. The spell binding itself is a bit high for their level (which is 7th) and it only works on living things anyway.

Is there any spell or item out there that can create an indefinite seal?

Thanks

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Use the pocket coffin magic item from this product. It's basically the "trap" from Ghostbusters, but for your Pathfinder game.

The book is also currently on sale for only $0.50!

Empirate

First Post
Incorporeal critters can't move freely through solid matter. It must remain adjacent to open air:

Pathfinder RPG Reference Document said:
An incorporeal creature can enter or pass through solid objects, but must remain adjacent to the object's exterior, and so cannot pass entirely through an object whose space is larger than its own.

So just enclose the damn thing in a concrete sarcophagus containment structure. If you can't get concrete, just use lots of dirt, should be enough.

Systole

First Post
Well, honestly trapping a spectre is pretty simple. I can't believe no one has posted this yet.

[sblock=Spectre trap]
ghostbusters_zdj2.jpg

You've just gotta be careful not to cross the streams.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Use the pocket coffin magic item from this product. It's basically the "trap" from Ghostbusters, but for your Pathfinder game.

The book is also currently on sale for only $0.50!

Well, honestly trapping a spectre is pretty simple. I can't believe no one has posted this yet.

[sblock=Spectre trap]
ghostbusters_zdj2.jpg

You've just gotta be careful not to cross the streams.[/sblock]

sorry Systole, Alzirus already mentioned it, but was ignored because he crossed the streams!

Mistah J

First Post
Incorporeal critters can't move freely through solid matter. It must remain adjacent to open air:

Not to hijack my own thread but I just gotta say I hate that rule. It just breaks my suspension of disbelief to say an incorporeal creature can pass through walls just not all the way through (except 10ft walls of course).

Since it is possible for the characters to kill the spectres (they do have magic weapons) but it'll just be hard (half damage) I may just run the encounter.

I may also just run a small 1st encounter and when they realize how tough it is, give them an option to seal the tomb with the cleric NPC - some kind of ritual he can perform.

Then the encounter becomes keeping the spectres from hurting the cleric for as long as it takes him to invoke the seal.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases