How to Write a Story Hour (by el-remmen)

Has the popularity of story hour writing waned so much? As of this posting, the last story hour update was two weeks ago on July 2. And the one before that was in June. I understand people just don't have the time. But I thought the number of hobbyist writers would not dip this low.

I admit, I haven't been around this forum much in ages. But it use to be one of the great things about ENWorld. Reading the great story hours.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Has the popularity of story hour writing waned so much? As of this posting, the last story hour update was two weeks ago on July 2. And the one before that was in June. I understand people just don't have the time. But I thought the number of hobbyist writers would not dip this low.

I admit, I haven't been around this forum much in ages. But it use to be one of the great things about ENWorld. Reading the great story hours.

Technology marches on. People stream instead these days.

Maybe. I don't really see that as the same thing. People who stream want to be seen. People who create story hours want to write and be read. It's not an either/or proposition. I wonder if fanfic writing is up or down. :)

Richards

Legend
Speaking just for myself, I can only update my two current Story Hours after we've gotten in a game session. One of my campaigns happens about one Saturday a month, and the other (which is normally weekly) had two cancelled sessions in a row.

On the plus side, we played the weekly game this past Wednesday so I'm working on an update, while we'll be playing the next session of our monthly campaign a week from tomorrow. So I should have an update to that one within the following week.

But I definitely prefer writing up my game sessions - it's easier to go back and look up details that way.

Johnathan

logan87

First Post

I think that people do not have not enough free time for dialogue on forums.
Although I think writers are always online.

logan87

First Post
Very good points. The one that I would add is one that I've seen in a lot of books with advice for writers:

"Write something every day. Even if it's just fifteen minutes or a paragraph of "pure crap" that you think you'll just toss out tomorrow. This a) keeps the story from getting cold (and cold stretches, otherwise known as "writer's block", have a way of getting longer and tougher to overcome), b) it gets you used cheap assignment writing on a regular schedule, and c) often the fifteen minutes or the crap-paragraph turns into an unexpected gold mine. I know I've often sat down to write for five minutes, with almost no idea of what I was going to do, and two hours later have written something that ends up being a major new plot point or direction for the story."

Fully agree with the above tips. I was a little fond of writing, I know something about it. :)

Dave Peverall

First Post
Hi all! I want to start a Middle-earth story based on Adventures of Middle-earth by Cubicle 7 using the 5E rules. I got a bit overwhelmed as to how to start this. Where do I go? How do I set up a page? I'm an older fella, so don't have a whole bunch of tech skills lol.
How do I get my first blank paper to start typing on? How do I dress it up with pictures that I have. Just the step by step for the set-up would be great

Thank you for any help. =)

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I am running so many games it is hard to decide which one to write for, I have pains in my hands and troubles typing and some of my players don't want o share their stories with the world either. Plus the site I'm playing on most doesn't allow recordings which makes it difficult. So I gave up for now.

Dave if you want to write a story hour here you open a thread like anywhere else and add pictures as needed. There's a little icon looking like an image allowing you to do that.

Dave Peverall

First Post
Hi Lwaxy

Thank you for the reply. So, when you say Open a thread, where? Here? I see the tools for adding images etc. If that's the case, I'll just write in the forums. I practiced uploading a picture, as you can see.

Attachments

• Amariel.png
    Amariel.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 411

Remove ads