• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Would Like the Rules Modules Organized?

ferratus

Adventurer
Just a fun thread for what rules modules you would like to see (and by consequence what you want to see in the core game). Here is mine:

D&D Basic module: Dwarf, Halfling, Elf, Human. Fighter, Wizard, Thief, Cleric. The most iconic of magic D&D items. A random dungeon generating table. Everything you need to take players from level 1-10.

D&D Advanced module: Levels 10-20, with complete classes for paladins, warlocks, rangers, assassins, sorcerers, bards and the rest of the "core" classes. Gnomes, Half-orcs, Goliaths, Half-elves et al. of races. More experimentation than the core, but it shouldn't need a retread of basic combat and exploration rules from D&D Basic. Completely and utterly compatible.

Immortals module: Levels 20-30, rules on divine ascension and stats for killing gods and legendary monsters. Basic overview of the planes.

[B[Birthright module:[/B] Rules for building strongholds and a domain, whether fief, faith or guild. Random events [/B]that afflict your stronghold, and rules for waging war and diplomacy. Cerilia not necessary, as it was a pretty boring vanilla setting.

Tomb of Horrors module: The classic adventure, plus all the monsters and spells which are designed to frighten the player rather than the character by draining XP and abilities, and bring random death back into the game. Acerak, as the creator of these deadly spells (and many of the monsters), can achieve the heights of infamy that he deserves.

D&D Tactics module: Rules for skirmish miniature warfare, for those that like to have encounters once and awhile.

Setting modules: For each setting that has unique elements. Romantic Fantasy for Dragonlance that has rules for riding dragons and character traits, High Magic fantasy for FR so you have rules for Mythals, Gritty fantasy for Dark Sun so you have dehydration and starvation rules, Horror fantasy for Ravenloft so you have fear and terror effects, Kara-Tur for monks, samurai and wu-jen classes.

Adventure modules: For adventures to sell, they might need a little help from optional rules. An adventure is a perfectly good place to represent them Want a variant ranger good at hunting hobgoblins or dragons? Red Hand of Doom. Want a new variant class for elementalists? Temple of Elemental Evil adventure. Much better than trying to pad out a player's handbook 5.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I don't mind having a PHB and a DMG. Magic can be in the PHB, and monsters can be in the DMG if needed. There should be plenty of info that each can have their own book, but starting off I would not mind having some sort of box set with the basic races and classes in one book and the basic monsters and magic in the other. A 3rd book can have DM items like setting up adventures and pacing, or things like charts and tables that will come in handy. This can be around 30 bucks and good enough to start things or get others to try it.

If they are going with more hardcover books, I would like to see more races and classes in the initial book, something like the big 7-8 races and 10-12 classes be covered. Maybe not in the detail and sub races and sub classes, but enough to give me choices so I feel like I'm spending my money fairly.

Shadeydm

First Post
If the purpose of the modules are to help folks emulate their favorite edition or playstyle then having them prepackaged might be the way to go. They could have a list of modules that together emulate a grim and gritty campaign and another package for super heroic campaigns etc. I think they will probably have to spell out the fact that the modules are optional, can be cherry picked, and are only packaged together to inspire/suggest good combinations. They could even put together edition emulation packages in a similar fashion. Not that any specific edition would be exactly the same only that its general feel/playstyle could be emulated via certain combinations of modules. IMHO YMMV yadda yadda...

I'm not keen on having to buy a whole setting just so I can get "gritty" rules or the like.

There is a place for setting-specific rules - mythals being a good example. But starvation rules are something that should be in a more generic module.

I'm thinking the PHB and DMG will have a number of modules integrated in - we already know that backgrounds and specialties will be. There will doubtless be others - the tactical and narrative combat additions; some 'gritty' and 'high fantasy' dials; I don't know what else, or what they'll have space for.

It would not surprise me at all if they then went on to publish books to expand on certain modules... A gritty fantasy book, a tactical combat book, and so on. Then, as you say, perhaps a book on building and maintaining a stronghold and the like.

slobster

Hero
It would be cool to see a "sanity" rules module, a la Call of Cthulu. Works in any horror campaign, or you could add it to a normal campaign for more of a gritty, hopeless feel. Dark Sun or Ravenloft would be natural places to use it, as would any game involving the Far Realm.

I've always been a fan of dueling systems (an mention it at every opportunity), so a rules module that could cover mage-dueling, samurai katana dueling, walking ten paces and firing a pistol at noon, and cinematic musketeer-style sword dueling would be a real treat.

A rules module covering more in-depth social interaction, including perhaps taking social "damage" as a result of a social attack and instituting various defenses and deceptions, might be cool. It's a tall order with D&D's system, but some games would benefit greatly from such a thing if it were done well, while most games could happily ignore it. Makes a good module.

I've always been a fan of higher lethality rules options, especially those that make sneak-attacking (not the rogue class ability, just any unexpected attack) deadly. Makes everyone want to play like a sneaky assassin, and for some games that's great. I've used it myself many times in short campaigns and always had a blast.

As for how they are packaged and sold, I'd love for there to be an option to buy them as pdfs a la carte for 3 to 5 dollars, depending on their size. Then they could package a dozen of them in a 40$ hardcover Advanced Rules Compendium later on, for those who want the complete hard-copy set. For everyone else who just wants to pick and choose a few modules for their game, that is an affordable and convenient option. Also lets them publish a lot of stuff inexpensively and see what people like the best for later expansion.

I don't think that will happen, but a guy can dream.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I'm seeing a return of such books as the "Wilderness Survival Guide" or "Dungeon Survival Guide" and the like filled with optional rules.

Edit: btw, I would like to be able to digitally purchase modules separately and have them seamlessly integrated to the correct chapter in my PHB, DMG or MM.

Warder

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Well, this is kinda hard to answer without knowing what modules to worry about. However, I prefer three general categories:

Basic : This would be the simplest 4x4 version of the game. All other modules/mechanics should harken back to this simplest version. Probably have "pick a specialty/background" for characters. Mostly TotM fighting (at least not grid-dependent). I would expect to see this both in the "main" rulebooks and as the new redbox.

Expert : The rest of the classes, a lot more spells and magic items. Includes some optional rules to tweak your game in one direction or another. Likely where "make up a background" and "pick your own feats" live. Probably would include add-ons for grid-heavy combat, AoOs, multi-classing. Skill challenges. Quite likely monster/NPC creation and modification would go here. Probably make up the bulk of the main rulebooks.

Advanced : Stuff that will really bend your game. Customization options and ways of modifying things like classes and spellcasting. A lot of what you might see in previous eds' Unearthed Arcana: alternatives to hp, etc. In fact, while some of this might show up in the main rulebooks, I'd expect most of the really advanced options to show up in additional products.

Still too hard to say much about details, though.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
Rules Lite: Remove anything resembling a grid. There should be three ranges, close (melee), near (can be charged) and far (can't be charged).

Most rules cleaned out, and combat simplified - dice roll their average results, no criticals, etc. Remove opportunity attacks - nothing can move from close with a fighter to close with a ranger until the fighter is down. Etc.

Basically pare down D&D to its simplest form. That should make a lot of players who just want a roleplaying system with low combat focus happy.

Kingdoms and Armies: Include rules for armies, keeps, etc. Basically, allow you to add resource management and long-term strategy. Add an entire extra aspect to your party. Allow your party to pool resources to become generals, advisors, kings, conquerors. Allow army combat.

Themes and the World: Really add onto character themes. Try and bring in a larger aspect of roleplay. Include multiple roleplaying skills, divorce them from Charisma. Add in investigation skills, procedures for investigating, etc.

Strategy and Tactics: Allow people to take tactical additions to their characters. Rules for difficult/dangerous terrain, and include a lot more of it in combat. Make positioning and combat tactics matter. Allow a lot of bonuses and penalties, basically desimplify the system in favor of making a more tactical and strategic game.

Magical Bling: Add in rules for tons of slots. Rings, waist, neck, tattoos, and more. Let players really add magical items all over their character, christmas tree style. Items that boost their class, boost their stats, do everything. Rules for making characters living armories of magical power.

As for how they are packaged and sold, I'd love for there to be an option to buy them as pdfs a la carte for 3 to 5 dollars, depending on their size. Then they could package a dozen of them in a 40$ hardcover Advanced Rules Compendium later on, for those who want the complete hard-copy set.

I would love to see this, but it will never happen in a million years.

I have my doubts as to whether it is a viable business model for a company of WotC's size; and even if I'm wrong, I can easily see Hasbro's legal team freaking out about it.

EDIT:

Blackwarder said:
I'm seeing a return of such books as the "Wilderness Survival Guide" or "Dungeon Survival Guide" and the like filled with optional rules.

I would love to see that! Those two books were favorites of mine.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads