• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Would You Defend A Mountain Fortress? (Volume II)

Crowe9107

First Post
mmadsen said:

If you want to run up to the Legion Standard and cast a touch spell on it -- Imprisonment's range is "touch" -- go right ahead, Carl. We'll be right behind you. ;)

Azurukin would, but I'd have to miracle the imprison ;) And the imprisonment is for the wielder, not the talking electrified chicken stick.

Re,

Carl W. Rowe

Tiefling

First Post
You have a wizard travel to the capital of the Vallorean Empire. You have him find an abandoned building, and inside it you have him build a permanent Teleportation Circle that goes to your fortress. You have him go through it, then build another Circle that goes somewhere else in that same building. Once he's finished, you have the 100,000 humans run through, slaughter the entire city, and continue to destroy everything else until things start to turn against them. Then you have them run back to the building and teleport back. Be prepared to deal with anyone who follows

If you can do this in every major city, the coordination needed to supply the advancing Vallorean army with food will be lost, and they will be forced to retreat.

Additionally, you should send some agents to investigate how in HELL the country can supply food for 350,000 troops in the first place, along with horses, servants, and camp followers.

dave_o

Explorer
!

I can't believe I forgot about this!

Two words: Baby Armor.

Moreover, entire war-trains, animals, and batallions all shielded by the tasty, fleshy goodness. :D

Looking at the above, I think that there is only one course of action the defenders could take.

Gather their forces can charge the Vallorean front lines like the British at the Somme, screaming their new battlecry of "Hastur Hastur Hastur!"

But then the Valloreans are probably able to kill Hastur anyway. :( .

The fort will fall, and in a matter of hours.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
or they could have maximized charm spells cast on the villagers and send the villagers ahead dressed as soliders (the front ranks)..now watch the villagers get attacked by the valloreans and watch the sheer shock as they mow down the innocence and lose their holy goodness!!!

mmadsen

First Post
You have a wizard travel to the capital of the Vallorean Empire. You have him find an abandoned building, and inside it you have him build a permanent Teleportation Circle that goes to your fortress.
Presumably the Valloreans have cast Forbiddance and Hallow throughout their cities and strongholds -- just as we've cast Forbiddance and Unhallow within our Mountain Citadel.

We can't teleport directly into their territory, and they can't teleport directly into ours -- but we can each teleport within striking distance of one another.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
We need to know a bit more about the Valloreans.

Okay, so thier cities are protected. What about thier farms? Our undead army doesn't need to eat -- but thier city dwellers sure do! Even if thier army is immune to starvation, we may be able to starve thier citizens. 300 or so vampires could be teleported into their farming communities and could kill everyone with any farming know-how, create vampire spawn from their bodies, set the spawn to burn the crops when they awaken, and teleport home in a single night.

They have some nifty custom artifacts on thier side. What artifacts do we have? Anything with a wide-angle Anti-Magic Field?

Nobody Expects the Spawnish Inquisition: we can turn thier Rangers against them. First, have some vampires Dominate some of our average citizens. If we get lucky, one will know about the resistance and be able to tell us who to look for. If not, have these citizens try (earnestly!) to get into the resistances, then betray thier leaders. We publically turn the leaders into new vampires. Voila -- new ranger-vampires with intimate knowlege of the Vallorean's plans, and no more chance for a resistance.

Do we know any friendly monster races? A couple hundred beholders or illithids would come as quite a surprise to the undead hunters.

-- Nifft

Ace

Adventurer
mmadsen said:
Rain of Fire, at DC 50, should kill most ground troops. It hits a two-mile radius, doing 1 hp/round (for 20 hours). How long does it take ground troops to run two miles? Twelve minutes? That's 120 rounds -- and thus 120 hp damage. And the survivors have probably left behind equipment and supplies.

If we have multiple epic spellcasters, we can probably hit them with a Rain of Fire and a Rain of Acid at the same time, doing 2 hp/round, and getting around resistance to just fire or just acid.

I'm not sure how we defend ourselves against the same thing. A Rain of Holy Water would sting.

Anyway, if the troops manage to stay together and progress in any one direction, we can just hit the area in front of them with another Rain of Fire. If they disperse in multiple different directions, that's when we mop them up with our "cavalry" -- teleported-in Fire Giants.

How about a rain of Disjunction instead? I don't have the epic level handbook but if you can make such an effect I would use that .

Than I would follow up with a rain of fire and acid than with a level draining rain or whatever you would call it.

First you would destroy a lot of magical gear especially the logistic support and communications stuff

Then you would at least weaken and maybe kill and turn into undead many of the Vallorean troops.

Destroying the undead and healing the living troops should deplete a lot of the resources the Valloreans had.

Aftewords you can use hit and run raids or whatever else works.

Now as I understand this it is a now win scenario, THe Valooreans are basically unbeatable and the enemy has no chance to win or even take the fight home to the Valloreans.

Since that seems to be the case after I hurt the Vallorean legion a bit I would use my World Hop and Destroy Trace spells and move everyone and everything to another world where there aren't Legions full of eigth level characters :)

Tiefling

First Post
They have Forbiddance and Hallow spells throughout the whole city?

In that case I advise the army and their vampire king to move to a low-magic world, where armies don't have to spend years puzzling out how they could use magic to do this, but then how the enemy could use magic to prevent it, but then how the army could use magic to prevent them from preventing it, but how the enemy could do that to them, over and over and over.

sword-dancer

Explorer
Nifft said:
We need to know a bit more about the Valloreans.

Okay, so thier cities are protected. What about thier farms? Our undead army doesn't need to eat -- but thier city dwellers sure do! Even if thier army is immune to starvation, we may be able to starve thier citizens. 300 or so vampires could be teleported into their farming communities and could kill everyone with any farming know-how, create vampire spawn from their bodies, set the spawn to burn the crops when they awaken, and teleport home in a single night.

Do we know any friendly monster races? A couple hundred beholders or illithids would come as quite a surprise to the undead hunters.

-- Nifft
Going from my informations of the VE an invasion at their homebase would be meet wit othe valnorrean legions, Rangers and Clerics/Magic users.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads